How many TOTAL basses have you owned?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warpeg, Apr 21, 2021.

1. 1

2. 2

3. 3

4. 4

5. 5

6. 6-10

7. 11-15

8. 16-20

9. 21-30

10. 31-40

11. 41-50

12. 51+

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Corrington

Corrington

Sep 13, 2020
    You caught me in transition.
    I have 5 at the house:
    * Schecter Stiletto Stealth-4
    * Fender Aerodyne Jazz
    * Ibanez Mezzo SRMD200 (medium scale)
    * SX URSA 2 LT MN (medium scale)
    One is listed on Craigslist:
    * Ibanez SR370EF 4-String Fretless

Two new ones are on their way:
    * Sire Marcus Miller V7 2nd Gen Fretless
    * Warwick RockBass Streamer Standard

And I have my eye on a:
    * Warwick Rockbass Steamer Standard 5-String

2. I've owned 17 and still have fourteen of them. All fourteen are either Fenders or Squiers. When I first started playing Bass 30 years ago, I had a Mako, a Vantage and an Ibanez. I got rid of them after I got my first Fender in 1999 and that's all I've played ever since.

3. Jamigro

Jamigro

Dec 18, 2014
    Denmark
    Only two was bought as new.
    6 is still here.

Listed in order of purchase:
    (New) 1986 Hohner PJ Bass fl (sold)
    1993 Fender Jazz Bass (boner/longhorn) (traded for the Läkland)
    No name uoright (sold)
    (New) 2009 Warwick Streamer Stage 2 5-string
    2001 Läkland Skyline 55-02 Deluxe (sold - wich was a big mistake)
    Cort Curbow 5-string (sold)
    1987 Navigator Jazz Bass
    ???? Ibanez agbv205a (sold)
    2001 G&L ASAT
    1989 Hohner The Jack (sold)
    2008 Läkland Skyline 55-02 Deluxe (almost as good as the first one)
    1991 Musicman Stingray
    ???? Epiphone Les Paul Standard Bass (sold)
    ???? Washburn Taurus T-14 (sold)
    1988 Hohner PJ Bass S

4. Wow. Amazing.
    I find it ironic how may bassists have multiple so-so basses, like it's a good plan. As for me, I saved up and didn't buy a bunch of so-so basses. I bought an Alembic Stanley Clarke Signature Deluxe. Yes, it does cost a lot, but for me it was worth every penny. So, to the new bass players out there, I say hold on purchasing that less-than quality, and save for a bass that not only sounds great, for I can make that bass sound like so many different basses, but also, keeps its value. Spend at least $5,000 and get yourself a bass, as opposed to a boat oar. :)
    Now, if I had a lot of money, well, I'd get 100 of those $10 K basses to show how much I love basses. Naw... kidding. I can only play once bass at a time and I have so many interests.

5. OregonJim

OregonJim

Apr 3, 2021
    It's funny - I can't remember all the guitars I've had over the years, but I DO remember each and every bass and what they felt like, and where I gigged with them. There have been 11 in 39 years, 4 of which I have currently.

6. Prapitat

Prapitat

Jan 30, 2017
    I have a list on my phone with year/model/neck and other attributes..... up to 34 total. Current collection hovering at lucky # 13

7. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    I too have a spreadsheet detailing all the basses I've owned since I starting playing bass about 12 years ago. I'm currently at 93 basses and have sold or traded 58 more during that time. I know that sounds a bit crazy and perhaps it is. Things have slowed down a lot recently because the market is so hot. I was thinking about selling a lot off because prices seem so high right now but decided against it because I won't be able to afford to get them back later. My goal was always to get to 100 and hold.

B-Mac likes this.
  8. "Only" 5...
    A Dan Armstrong plexi in '72-ish...swapped with keyboard player for his Royal Guardsman amp...
    A non-reverse late '60s Thunderbird, mid-'70s...returned it because of a cracked neck...
    A Bicentennial Thunderbird, later mid-'70s...let a coworker use it, he sold it and moved...
    My "no-name" Korean Fender-ish bass with Precision (middle) and Jazz (bridge) pickups, early '90s...
    2010 Thunderbird, recently, see left...
    I only own the last 2...
    The previous 3 I wish I hadn't parted with.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  9. ndukane65

ndukane65

Mar 11, 2016
    Cranford, NJ
    Currently own 34 basses out of 62 that I've purchased/sold since 1983. And yes there are a few I really regret selling like a Rickenbacker 4002.

10. Doug P

Doug P

Nov 26, 2008
    As another TB’er sorta said.... in don’t know, but I’ve seen old pic’s, my old band mates have passed on.... that showed me playing a bass I don’t remember owning. But I know more than 15?? I would be many more but for the 30 years I didn’t even own a bass, the last 14 of playing again I’ve played in 4 states, 2 countries, and 2 cd’s I was asked to write and play bass on. Maybe not that much..... but feels good just picking the bass up and “like riding a bike” I just went GO ! Learning songs was easy... no stage fright .... etc... the hardest part is my body taking the punishment like I’m 20 again !

11. PeteOlig

PeteOlig

May 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    16 or17 electric basses and three uprights.

12. Corrington

Corrington

Sep 13, 2020
    Wow… that’s a rather snotty, judgy and condescending attitude.
    Some people have multiple basses because they simply like having them around, like paintings on the wall.
    Some because it’s easier for them to get a specific tone on one bass vs another (e.g., a Jazz bass cannot sound like a Rickenbacker).
    Some want backups for gigging.
    Some because they have different strings (e.g., nylon tape wound vs round wound).
    Some have 5-strings for specific songs, but use their 4-strings for everything else.
    Some have and have gone through multiple basses because they are still trying to find “the one to rule them all.”

You found “the one” that works well for you. That’s terrific. Your search is over. Enjoy.
    Now have some grace, class, and understanding for the rest of us.

Barry Goodman and fauxtoe like this.
  13. ebo

ebo

Jul 15, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    My answer is the same as when someone asks me how many women I’ve slept with. “I stopped counting.”

B-Mac and Corrington like this.
  14. Barry Goodman

Barry Goodman

Jan 28, 2019
    Ha ha, Coward
    Come-on give us a number, i’m Relatively new bass guy about a year now, I have “5”.
    It has to stop!
    Barry

15. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Many dozens. Plus 3. :p

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Same pattern here. Out of the 16 basses I've owned, 14 were bought since 2002 when I'd been in the workforce for a decade. But for gear overload, the other stuff is the killer, like the keyboard, recording gear, guitars, guitar amps, studio monitors, mic stands, music stand, huge number of new strings still in boxes, old bass and guitar magazines...it goes on and on.

During the pandemic, I've sold lots of it, with more for sale locally on CL. And when my younger one doesn't need the keyboard for high school orchestra anymore, it's gone...and will make room for that "just one more" bass!

17. I currently have 8 and have had a total of 11 in my 40 years of playing and wish I had held on to the 3 I let go which were the 1st 3 I purchased. The 1st one being a Matsumoto (?) Japanese “W” Jazz bass. A Carl Thompson Explorer Body that a local guy Blackhurst finished and the 3rd was a custom BC Rich I commissioned from 91-92... Still looking out for that one!

Cool thread, thanks for posting!

18. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Wrangler of Raucous Thunder Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    4 over time. Still have 3. All Thunderbirds.

19. I'm thinking of the ones I've sold (3) for cash, and ones I traded (2) and ones I've given away or sold super cheap to a kid or someone who just didn't have any money but really wanted to learn (several dozen). One lady from Brazil was infatuated with one of my basses so I bought a decent one similar to it at a pawn shop for $75. Spent another $100 on new parts, then cleaned it and set it up. Sold it to her for $5. She still plays it and whenever I see her she gives me a hug. Big-g-g-g-g-g Brazil hug. For me it's those good memories that count.

69'Vette and Outtaseezun like this.
  20. Ten I think! Lots of guitars too.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021