1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to make a cat-proof amp cover?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fretlessman71, Feb 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. So SWMBO's cat destroyed my amp cover, and she wants to get me a new one. But the amp is no longer made, and I figured if I could find the right material to have one made OUT of, then it wouldn't be an enticement for said cat's claws.

Have any of you made an amp cover out of a type of canvas that wasn't appealing to cats sharpening their claws?

(Author's note: anti-cat posts will be responded to by hacking your account, finding your address, and leaving a fresh batch of rabid kittens on your doorstep. ;-) )

1stnamebassist likes this.
  2. Anti-cat amp cover.
    giphy.

3. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    If your set on carpet and not tolex, the only thing that works is a door/wall combo between your cat and your amp.

I don't know why they don't make scratching posts out of amp carpet. That stuff is a feline magnet.

twinjet, Aqualung60 and CDRhom like this.
  4. Just get rid of the cat.

Sartori, twinjet, Aqualung60 and 11 others like this.
  5. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    all my amp covers are made by Studio Slips. Susan and her crew can make a cover for
    any amp old or new and can probably suggest a material that will be of little interest to
    your cat.

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

They like materials that are rough for scratching on, helps sharpen their claws or pull off the old bits of claw.

First step is to give them something else to rip on. They'll go bananas for sisal rope or those cardboard things that you can make with some hot glue and a bunch of old boxes for pennies compared to buying them.

Whatever you give them to rip on, cover it in catnip so they're drawn to it.

Whatever cover you get made after the cats realize they've got other good poopie to rip on, further deter them from ripping on your new one by draping tape, sticky side out, over the cover. A couple times getting tangled in that and they'll never do it again.

I have more than 5 cats, trust me.

7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    our late cat loved the carpet on my carvin combo - he ultimately dug through it and even dug deeply into the wood while he found more areas on it that still had rat fur. he totally ignored tolex-covered amps.

8. Rhino lining?

mbelue and tzohn like this.
  9. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    Our varmints love their feline assault course made up of variations on this sort of scratcher. We rearrange it frequently and they no longer scratch where they shouldn't.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    FunkĀ³ likes this.
  10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Better a cat than a cute tasmanian devil. Do people in Australia really keep them as pets?

image.

Jughead6 and kat888 like this.
  11. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    Only the ones that wear the hats with the corks hanging from them...

There may be the odd one kept as a pet in Tasmania but it would be exceptional and there are laws against people keeping native fauna as pets. Tazzie devils are bitey things and supposedly will take on a wombat, so not the sort of thing you want in the house.

Really the only exotic animals you see in a city of 5 million-ish (outside a zoo) are parrots (rainbow lorikeets, cockatoos, galahs, king parrots), crows and magpies etc, the odd sea eagle, possums and loads of flying foxes aka fruit bats. There are less welcome creatures as well - eg ibises aka 'bin chickens'.

Our cats are strictly indoor and their idea of big game hunting is chasing cockroaches out on the balcony when they fly up at night.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  12. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Seeing parrots, etc in the trees is reason enough to take a 22 hour flight. Hopefully, some day...

kat888 likes this.
  13. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    I lived in Edinburgh for 6 years and was impressed by the urban foxes who'd saunter past you in the street without giving you a second look.

(Returning to the topic of the thread - stout, well secured heavy chicken wire or chainlink to keep foxes off your cabs.)

beans-on-toast likes this.
  14. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    My uncle used to keep an alligator in his bath tub. The thing used to give me the willies when I had to use the bathroom. :laugh:

15. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    "Born on the bayou...."

SasquatchDude and beans-on-toast like this.
  16. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    +1. Another good source for custom covers is LeCover.

I own a cover made by Studio Slips, and another made by LeCover. Both are good quality, made by good folks.

17. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Behold! A cat-proof amp cover.

catproof.

TJH3113, steamthief and bobpond like this.
  18. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    Yeah, put a box next to the amp, the cat will sit in the box - problem solved.

TuneIn, CatSquare, spaz21387 and 4 others like this.
  19. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Makes a good cat trap when not covering the amp, as well >^..^<