1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I am a Dinosaur

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dbase, Nov 25, 2017.

1. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I cant see any advantage for using effect pedals for playing bass... except maybe for tuning.

Atshen, Jimmy4string, ialma and 20 others like this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    All depends on the sound you want. I use a pedal on one song, because it's on the set list, and need it.

Smart to post it here...

zontar, Korladis and dbase like this.
  3. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    What song is that?

4. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    . Time is Running Out by Muse.

The fuzz kinda IS the bass part.

5. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Ok .. I can see that, I mean hear that. ;) Thanks.

the harp unstrung likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I very recently allowed pedals into my life. I was "anti" pedals 15 years ago. Much like the pick, I have become more open minded as I age. I used to be a pick hater too.

These days I play with a pick about half the time and today I unboxed my 7th pedal.
    20171125_075721.

All of that being said, if you don't need them you don't need them. Do (or don't do) what works for you.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I started using pedals early on only to sell the majority of them off and become a meat and potatos bassist who plugged directly into an amp.

I've recently started experimenting with pedals again, and I now have two "always on" pedals and several others that I will use regularly throughout a set.

alesreaper9, Holdsg and dbase like this.
  8. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Go back a couple decades and people would have looked at you sideways for "wasting" money on a pedal tuner for the stage.

Turock, GregC, Big Shrek and 2 others like this.
  9. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi dbase :)

I am not a pedal user (tuner only guy), but for some stuff they can be great

just one example :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Pino's octaver sound rules

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Fretless1!, ahc, mikewalker and 3 others like this.
  10. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Whether it's the fuzz tone on The Beatles' "Think For Yourself", or the phaser on the O'Jays' "For the Love of Money", effects on bass have been around for a long, long time.

11. nbsipics

nbsipics Bass - Treble = Bass Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I am a dinosaur - somebody is diggin' at my bones!

Adrian Belew :)

12. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    You are a dinosaur and so am I. lol
    Usually bass,cable then amp.
    Two guitar players with effects on stage is enough for me.
    Latest setup is a TC amp with 3 memory channels which I use
    and yes one channel is setup for a Fuzz sound, the sound that had caught my
    ear as a teenager.

Flabass, John Conte and dbase like this.
  13. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I think in a cover band, there are times you may be able to get away with skipping effects, even if the original had one. A chorus pedal would be nice for nailing The Police, but the average listener may not miss it. But cover Muse without fuzz, or certain Chili Pepper tunes without autowah, and something is going to be missing even to the casual listener.

In an original band, the only limit is your imagination. One of my bands is keys/bass/drums, and using dirt pedals helps me fill in the sonic space a guitar would usually fill. Also, many of the tunes are bass-centric, and coloring my tone with various effects helps draw attention to the bass. In another band I play with, there are two horns, guitar, keys, drums, and bass. In that band, there are plenty of timbres to keep things interesting, and I rarely step on a pedal.

Effects are ultimately another tool in the toolkit with which to serve the music.

14. I do agree that with most music you really don't need anything but your tone settings and fingers/pick.

I never had used any effects until I started writing my own stuff, grungy metal. Still haven't actually purchased a real pedal, just using in the box stuff in a DAW.

On my first album (instrumental), I toyed around with fuzz, phaser, chorus and reverb simulations. Getting different sounds from it inspires different writing and playing, going places I hadn't thought of before.

If you're comfortable with what you have, then be happy that you don't GAS for the next big thing in pedals, just one less thing to fiddle with:thumbsup:

Big Shrek and dbase like this.
  15. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I don't mean to get into a big discussion on effects, but what unit do you use to get that Muse bass sound? I've never been able to nail it.

dbase likes this.
  16. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Then don’t use them. See, that’s not so hard and you aren’t actually obligated to tell anyone. ;)

Gotta love the passive aggressive, let’s start some $#%¥, but not break the rules by posting this intentionally divisive thread outside of the effects forum. :rollno:

17. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Pfft... I got yer dinosaur rite cheer: :laugh:

2016-10-16 18.02.01.

FWIW - I use a chorus pedal on the upright too. :bag:

18. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Yes Lenny.. remember the Vox fuzz buster? my only experience with bass pedals was a compressor which i used once and returned. your right about guitar players. they use enough pedals for the entire band ;)

Jimmy4string likes this.
  19. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    very well stated..thanks

Bassed in NZ likes this.
  20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    What is ironic is many of the tones being chased by pedalheads today are the result of the limitations of early sound reproduction/recording equipment. I’m far too lazy to further complicate my bass experience and since i’m on the short end of the life stick it would really serve no useful purpose beyond taking time away from things i’d rather be spending that time on.

If pedals are your thing, more power to you, but like our dino OP my only stompbox is a tuner i also use as a mute between sets.