I like discontinued basses. Am I alone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowdownthump, Jun 21, 2021.

1. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    For me, these are the basses I like the most. All discontinued , no longer in production. They all sold well. And don’t come up too often on the used market. When they do, they sell pretty quickly.

My least expensive Crafted in China Classic Vibe 60’s PBass has increased in value.

My US Geddy Lee isn’t discontinued as of yet but due COVID they aren’t any available , prices have increased and no new ones are expected until next year.

I think I’m pretty set with these basses for what I do. I don’t see myself buying or needing another.

CEE384F7-6897-4734-92CD-8DAFE7800259.jpeg
    Carvin SB5000
    F3202222-2379-4B40-9CC4-6A0AFA36986D.jpeg
    MusicMan Caprice

85C75E88-7509-42D5-9A6E-A5CDA81808B0.jpeg
    Squier by Fender Classic Vibe 60’s PBass

78AAF5B8-82E7-42C9-AFE3-255C9697CDB0.jpeg
    Fender US Geddy Lee Jazz

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I guess my favorite discontinued basses are the American Peavey Cirrus, Music Man Sabre, Yamaha TRB6 wide spaced bolt-on.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It would be cool to see the American Peavey Millennium back and the original Foundation with Super Ferrite pickups.

4. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    My favorite discontinued basses are the original works of Mike Tobias and the Xotic XB-2.

gzarruk, wmmj, MrLenny1 and 4 others like this.
  5. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I seem to like them discontinued as well, especially the Ibanez ATK.

4A7543ED-88F1-4361-8728-AE336D1FA71B.jpeg

I would love to see Made-in-USA Peavey again, too.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yes!:bassist:

lowdownthump and Riff Ranger like this.
  7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I like the Sabre myself. Found one a few years back at my local GC. Black with Birdseye maple . Went back a few hours later and it was sold. One of the best feeling necks I’ve ever encountered. IIRC , it was $900.
    :facepalm:

8. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Atk

Riff Ranger likes this.
  9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    That’s a sweet setup !! Double trouble !!

The Mighty 'V' and Riff Ranger like this.
  10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    If they had Jazz bass necks and lighter weight, I would have a Yamaha BB2000 & BB3000. Two more great discontinued basses.

11. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    20201024_083040.jpg

I wonder if the Jaco will get discontinued soon? Price is now pretty dang high on it, they're never in stock (but maybe because they sell fast?)

Lownote38, Pyrat, gzarruk and 3 others like this.
  12. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Jaco and Matt Freeman…. Yes!!

AudioTaper, sonojono and nonohmic like this.
  13. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I have one. :) It's not my number one.. I'm pretty sure it's a lifer.

PXL_20210616_022124233_LI.jpg resizedPfront.jpg resizedPback.jpg

14. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I missed out on one of these also. They were being discounted for $650 at my local GC. I bought a used US MusicMan SUB instead. Neck was too big for me and I took it back the next day with every intention of buying that PBass. Of course it was gone . :bored:

15. They're all pretty much discontinued around here:
    DSCF0928.JPG DSCF0920.JPG DSCF0917.JPG

P1000568.JPG

16. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    You and me both on the Fender US Geddy and CIC Squier Classic Vibe! Don’t think my Classic Vibe will be going anywhere after pulling it off the market!

lowdownthump likes this.
  17. Craig Orndorff

Craig Orndorff Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2021
    I don’t have a particular discontinued bass that I like, but I do like a color that’s no longer readily available from Fender: British Racing Green. I don’t think it’s even available from the Custom Shop.

However, I feel like to a degree we are living in a golden age in the sense that it all comes back around eventually. Several models we now take for granted as classics had long stretches where they weren’t available. The EB-3 and Thunderbird weren’t available for much 80s, for example. Any guitarists out there remember the Squier ‘51? It did so poorly at first that they blew them out on overstock.com for less than $80. Then when the interwebz became obsessed with them as a modding platform, you could barely touch them for $150 used, and eventually Fendwr brought them back. I have a feeling that CNC and the plethora of cheap, niche marketing options make it likely that you’ll eventually see cult classics once again.

lowdownthump likes this.
  18. I'm going to say Sabre as well. I had a beautiful trans red one with maple and can't remember what I flipped it for. I quit doing that.

Ones I have though that are no more and won't part with: AVRI 64 Jazz, AVRI 58 Precision, MIJ Jaguar, MIJ blue sparkle Steve Harris, American Special Precision, a couple of Cabronita Precision's, a non-road worn Dirnt, and a purple sparkle Adam Clayton Jazz.

Everything else is still in some sort of production. That Sabre was a hard lesson.

lowdownthump likes this.
  19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    When I think discontinued basses, I think of these three.
    Only ones I have any desire to own.
    Photo-Collage-20210621-213534174.jpg

jonnybass1, Andii Syckz, msb and 11 others like this.
  20. Mattionals

Mattionals Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Doylestown, PA
    I'm waiting for a G&L El Toro reissue. I sold my 87 last year and I miss it, but I do think I really want it modernized. If G&L did a modern body shape say in the CLF line, maybe in an Okoume body, I'd put my order in ASAP.

lowdownthump likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021