1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I like to grow peppers!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I'm pushing 50 and have never grown anything. This year, I planted Hot Banana Peppers, Jalapeno, Cayenne, and Sweet Banana Peppers. I have some tomatos, but they suck.

Hot Banana Pepper pictured (pretty dang warm!)

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I wish I had the yard space to grow veggies. :atoz:

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    That reminds me, I'll have to pick up some of my jalapenos next timeI visit the ex...

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Cool, I love growing 'em too. This year I have Habanero, Ghost, Hungarian Wax, Thai, Paprika, Jalapeno, Anaheim, Poblano, and probably one or two more I'm forgetting.

Just starting to work on last year's stash, killer for jerk sauce:

[​IMG]

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Cool. I, too, am new to growing edibles.

I have my first crop of serranos coming in right now, and will be growing jalapenos once I build myself some proper raised planter beds. I also have some tomatoes and basil that I'm trying not to kill. My garden plan is to also include cilantro, carrtots, onions, and lettuce.

6. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Wear heavy rubber gloves; clean the peppers; core them and shake out the seeds; cut them into 3/16 inch rings; place them into a heavy deep dish with paper towels on the bottom, micro-wave for 3 minutes, remove and stir, micro-wave for 3 minuites, remove and stir, micro-wave for 3 minutes; stir fry in olive oil, garlic and oregano. Freeze in plastic freezer bags.

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Been making batches of pepper sauce. I put it on peas! Where's the cornbread?

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Man! Growing peppers is one reason I'd put up with the oppressive heat y'all get down there.

I don't think I can grow pequin's or datil's in Michigan without a greenhouse.

9. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Hopefully j-raj will see this thread. He has been growing peppers like crazy.

I'm focusing on tomatoes in my garden.

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Which sort?

My peppers are still months out, October is usually prime time here.

11. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Jalapeno/Cayenne/Vinegar.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I should try that some time. I grow tomatoes some years. I LOVE fresh tomatoes.

13. I started mine way early, from seed in the house in January. Bell pepper and jalapeno, I started my sweet bananas later (about the end of April) and they haven't made anything yet, but are getting close to budding. I pickled my first batch of jalapenos at the end of June. It's dry here and stays dry, so once it hits about 55 at night (March or April) get the stuff in the ground. Then wait for the heat to come....

Eggplant, carrot, cucumber I started when it got warm at the end of March, i've been picking on them everyday for the last 2 weeks. :D Love the garden....love canning too, i'm gonna have dill pickles out the wazoo this year. :hyper:

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm trying jalapenos and habaneros for the first time here in New Hampshire. Nothing promising on the plants yet, but the tomatos have gone buck wild already.

-Mike

15. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    My jalapeƱos are doing awful. I got 5 which got maybe two inches long and that's that. I'm wondering if it has something to do with this awful summer.

16. That's one thing I miss about living in New Mexico all restaurants incorporate green chile into everything. on top of burgers, in ice cream, green chile stew and soup, and semi-chunky green chile sauce on enchiladas. Chile peppers all over.

I should grow peppers one year but I usually stick with tomatoes and herbs.

17. I'm growing some jalapenos also. There is one thing I never knew.
    How do you know when it is time to pick a jalapeno?

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    When it came time to pick mine I just knew. It was like "well, I need a jalapeno... this one looks good".
    If they start turning red then theyve been ready for a while (and theyre still good).

19. we planted green bell peppers last summer.. one plant lived, and i think we got a total of 3 peppers.

we have a ridiculous abundance of string beans cucumbers and tomatoes every year, though. (id prefer peppers!)

20. That answers another one of my questions.