Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm taking lessons from this guy...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Maybe he can learn you how to leave space between the notes :D

2. I was just about to post the same thing, looks like you will get great lessons on how to wank! Good Luck

3. The guitarist who was briefly in my band in college loved to try to play guitar solos on my bass, with a pick. Guy had no idea how to lock up with a drummer, for obvious reasons. :p

4. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    So you're taking guitar lessons?

5. +1 to that! This guy is the masta!

:)

6. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    DUDE...put down the bass and get a guitar for god's sakes!:spit: :spit: :spit:

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've said it before and I'll keep saying it...because you have the technology to post something on the internet is not a reason to do so.

I am beginning to believe that the internet does more harm than good...

8. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    God what a wanker... The way he switches to fretting over the top of the neck kills me.... People that learn bass only to play them like a guitar really frustrate me, they just give bassists a bad name.........

9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    ummmm..........no thanks...

10. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Yawn. Oh, I'm sorry, I was too distracted by the sound of the pick on the strings. Oh, and the distortion on the bass making it sound (strangely enough) EXACTLY like a metal guitar, only without the cool high notes the metal guitar can play.

You see, here in the REAL world, we have this thing called GROOVE. Meh.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    My wife doesn't understand why I refuse to take lessons from guitar players (who just happen to teach bass, too). I need to show her this. :rollno:

12. A complete tosser with delusions of adequacy = a very toxic combination

Should be cut off at the wrists IMHO.

13. LeftyJack

LeftyJack

Feb 23, 2006
    San Carlos, CA
    I'm soooo depressed! I'll never be that good....

14. CommandoBob

CommandoBob

Nov 17, 2005
    .my teacher is a guitar player. but comes highly recommended by everyone in the area and i have a lot of confidence in him, hes a good guy as well. cus i do believe im a better bass player then i was before i started getting lessons. im just wondering how much cooler it would be to take lessons under a real bass player. Seems like a teacher is just a guide anyways most of the stuff i learned, i learned by figuring out myself. i think training your ear and listening to great bass players and figuring out what their doing will help you a lot. and the teacher will fill in all you need to know about scales and keys and god forbid reading music. not to mention having a teacher will force you to play if your a slacker. You reap what you sow.

15. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    You have to understand. When you start playing bass and you realize the crap it gets for being easy, and not being able to play solos on it that you get from other people can be frustrating. So then you try and build speed on those high notes and leaving the bottom end as naked as I was the day I was born. And you're going fast and you think "man I'm wicked." It takes some experience to realize that if playing a bass like a guitar is what you want to do to show off then get a guitar and shred away. But then you discover the low end and the beauty of groove. After awhile you learn to blend the lows and the highs. And that building a better bassline is more productive than building a better bass solo. And if all solo bass was high notes then it wouldn't be solo bass. So give this guy some time. He'll pick up the lows...

16. Hmm, uhh, that's playing bass? :scowl:

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    It's funny how people think they are good by playing this trash, but then you put them on a gig and they don't know what the hell to do... they also never get a call back.

IMHO

18. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    He can play fast, I'll give him that. But seriously, that was about the worst bass tone I've ever heard.

Now, if he could turn down the highs, play it fingerstyle, and add a bit of groove to it, that could actually be cool. But meh.

-Dash

19. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I am taking lessons from a guy right now that is a true bass player. Our lessons don't focus on speed or techinques necessary to play faster. Instead, we focus on building basslines, locking in the grove, keeping in time, tasteful fills that do all of those things. We talk about what makes a bass line good. I've learned much more from him in two months than I did from guitar players in two years.