1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is buying a Rickenbacker even possible??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Felken, Jul 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Love that guy! His ability say the most blatant and outrageous absurdities with a straight face is unmatched on all of TV Land. Add in the psychotic hairdo, and you have Genius On Display.

Winslow and bobyoung53 like this.
  2. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Or what happens when you give the Pizza Delivery Guy a toke, get him started on "we are the Universe experiencing itself subjectively", and then hand him a mic.

mikewalker and Gilmourisgod like this.
  3. CGremlin

CGremlin Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Building your own also lets you get into crazy stuff like putting a pair of J's in the traditional position, and another pair in the 4003 position, with a switch to go between pairs. Dave Meros of Spock's Beard had that done with his 34" Ed Roman (and his black Rick before that), and it's awesome listening to him go instantly between a burpy Jazz Bass tone to that Rick grind.

I keep telling myself when I get the space to do some woodworking, I'm gonna take my router to something like an SX or a cheap Squier and do that. Still hasn't happened.

4. I sold my Ric 4004 to a Mountie in Ottawa for under $1500, so I imagine it's possible someone else would do it at some point.

Felken likes this.
  5. Where are you looking? There’s a L&M in north Markham (in Ontario) that routinely have brand new rics for 2k or so

6. The Ric 5s downtown weren't crazy either, under 3k

Matthew_84 likes this.
  7. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I currently own, and have owned, a pretty wide variety of basses. Several 4, 5, and 6 string models from 20 to 24 frets, both active and passive, and all different body shapes.

From that experience, so far the Rickenbacker is the most unique playing bass out of them all.

And as much as I want to like it, because I love the look, I just can’t get along with them playability wise.

RyanOh likes this.
  8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    tzohn and Hounddog409 like this.
  9. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    OP is looking to save $$$$$.

Figured a buddy in the US would save a bunch on shipping.

10. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    My 4003s is the most comfortable for me.

jeff7bass and bobyoung53 like this.
  11. TrueNorthMatt

TrueNorthMatt Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec City
    Koshchei likes this.
  12. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    That's not a terrible deal, and with the bridge mounted, you've got a modern playing bass with the Rickenbacker tone. The oil finish is to die for, btw - the hand-feel is amazing.

13. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    But then how does the OP in Ottawa eventually get it? There’s always a cost somewhere.

14. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    And a Ric is not a place where bargains exist. They're (in)famous for their resale value.

15. selfwareluggage

selfwareluggage

May 7, 2019
    I’d say try one before you actually pull the trigger. I love how Rick basses play but I hate how Rick guitars play. If you’re coming from a Fender or anything traditional or modern, you may or may not like it. Personally I love the playability on my 4003. I got mine for $1,800 on Reverb which I think is a pretty good deal considering mine is left handed. The guy didn’t even charge me for shipping. Very nice gesture considering he shipped it from California to New York. For the Canadian market, I’m not an expert in but I’d say if you really love Ricks and it’s your dream instrument save up until you see the right moment. That’s what I did and I got a really good deal!

16. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    So far it seems all L&M stores in Ontario are out of stock.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  17. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Ah, if only it was in jetglo. Not to he picky, but if I’m spending 2000 bucks on a bass, I want it to be the colour I want.

18. There are like 3 local to me for $1500 CAD or less. It’s not that hard to find.

19. Keep checking. I haven’t been in that L&M for a few months but I used to go in every month and saw one or two in like every other time I went in. Also, I don’t think everything gets posted on the website.

With that said, I’ve only played two Rics in my life (both brand new 4003s that were two weeks apart) and the difference in feel between them was huge! One had a thin neck (almost felt like an Ibanez SR) and another had one thicker than a P Bass neck. There are some basses I’m comfortable ordering without playing because I know how it will feel (Ibanez, Dingwall, and Warwick). Rics are very much in the camp of “try before you buy”.

L&M may transfer between stores without much of a commitment (unlike ordering a non-stock item), but I’m not sure.

20. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    If you want it, go and get it.

mikewalker likes this.