1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is it ok to wait months for a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by taught, May 7, 2018.

  1. Yes.

    38 vote(s)
  2. No.

    63 vote(s)
  3. It depends

    87 vote(s)
  1. taught


    Jan 5, 2015
    I ordered a Squier CV P-bass in february in a music shop (EU, Hungary) with a fairly big customer base and good revenue.

    They told me it will be in stock in two months.
    I asked them two months later (end of march), they told me they need another month.
    I asked them another month later (end of april) and they told me the bass is still not in stock, they will let me know if it will be.

    Now it is May and I don't know if this amount of time is OK to wait.
    I regularly check the used market online and saw great basses for great price but I had to let them go because I was waiting for mine from the shop.

    Will you wait longer since this is common or should I move forward?

    Side note: I buy things regularly there, they know me as a regular consumer and we have a mutual respect for each other so I don't want to flip tables.
  2. That's a tough one. I'd start to feel like I was getting the run around - but if you're confident that's not the case and you still want the bass then no harm. I wouldn't be concerned about flipping tables if you've handed over money and they can't get your product.

    The flip side is can you get it elsewhere in the next few days? Not overly familiar with how things are for imports etc in Hungary nor the bass itself, but you could be facing the same situation everywhere and the distributor is fobbing them off..
    Matthew_84 likes this.
  3. taught


    Jan 5, 2015
    1) I did not gave them any money. I just ordered it and I'll pay when I get it.

    2) There is another shop that ships in the surrounding countries. On their site they always display the amount of available units they have in stock at the moment which is always correct. I know this because I shopped from them several times.
    Actually, they have one in stock of this particular bass so I could get it in a few days.
    REMBO and MattZilla like this.
  4. This is completely normal in smaller markets without much turnover. Unless the shop commits to buy a poopieload of instruments, they're put behind in the line to the manufacturer or distributor (and Fender is one of the worst in the business).
  5. I'd get the one that's available soon. Whether the other shop is having problems getting it or not, you have waited long enough.
    red_rhino, MEKer, Davbassdude and 7 others like this.
  6. Gaolee

    Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

    I'm impatient, so for me, the answer is nope, I won't wait a month. for anybody else, it's got to do with the situation. Being in Hungary has a bearing on the issue in a way that being in the US really doesn't.
    gebass6 likes this.
  7. To us in Europe (and other "smaller" markets) this means the death of local stores. Only a few big distributors will survive (we're probably ending up there anyways, but still).
  8. FrenchBassQC

    FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

    Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I wouldn't wait that long for a Squier, get it from the store who has it in stock. This is not a custom built instrument it is an of the shelf item after all.
    Leo Smith, MEKer and Aqualung60 like this.
  9. I wondered about that aspect. If you can afford the wait, there is something to be said for staying with the local store. However, if they can't get the instrument, it doesn't help them or you.
    Giffro and Fredrik E. Nilsen like this.
  10. That doesn't help much if the manufacturer or distributor doesn't deliver (and they wont, if the shop doesn't commit to buy a lot of instruments to have in stock).
    Oddly likes this.
  11. I guess it also depends on if the one you’re waiting on is a particular color or neck/body combo. I would wait for what I exactly wanted rather than settle.
    Giffro likes this.
  12. FrenchBassQC

    FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

    Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I agree and that's why I'm saying to get it from where it is in stock...
  13. Which CV did you order? Only the 70's P is still in production I think.
    Thomann expects (so no guarantees) delivery end of this month.
    Can you cancel your order? Did you already pay part/full amount?
  14. taught


    Jan 5, 2015
    Yepp, I ordered the only currently existing Classic Vibe P-bass which is the 70's.

    I checked Thomann before and they listed May 1st on expected delivery 2 months before too. So I am afraid my local shop and Thomann gets it from the same place and the local shop will not deliver before end of may as well - this is just my personal line of thinking.

    I did not pay anything in order for my local shop.
    joker820 likes this.
  15. klejst


    Oct 5, 2010
    To answer your question, depends on if you're willing to and it's worth it to you to do so. In my own personal answering of the question, no.
  16. micguy


    May 17, 2011
    I wait a month and a half for necks from Warmoth, but they're custom made to exactly what I want. For a Squier? no - I'd find someone on line that can ship it today.
  17. Snaxster


    Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. As others already said, it can depend on various factors. In your current case, your thread could have been more accurately titled "Is it ok to wait months for a new Squire bass in Hungary?"

    For example, the original question does not apply to new custom basses, since the correct answer almost always would be 'Yes, and sometimes longer.'
    Giffro, MattZilla and Kragnorak like this.
  18. Years ago, I bought an Eden 1x12 and loved it so I decided to order another one from the shop. 6 months they waited and it never came - Eden was under financial strain at the time so I had to buy a second one used. These things happen and I doubt it is the shop's fault - so if you can find the bass elsewhere, give it a shot.
    SLO Surfer likes this.
  20. baileyboy


    Aug 12, 2010
    I can understand waiting a good chunk of time for a boutique bass build, like FBB or Ritter. I've heard of customers waiting as long as a year for a Ritter. But for a stock bass? Any more than a couple weeks seems unreasonable to me.
    Carl Hillman and gorneyg like this.

Share This Page