1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Least favorite bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by WhiskeyMan13, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiskeyMan13

WhiskeyMan13

Mar 11, 2009
    I shy away from saying "worst" bassist, because thats objective. Who is your least favorite bassist? It can be someone from popular music or someone you know (if it's not someone in the popular conciousness, include a brief story containing reason you dislike this person from a personal or musical standpoint.

I'd like to nominate Pete Wentz, but that's almost cleche now. I'll go with the current "bassist" for a band I joined after I had been playing for 3 months. Needless to say, after another month, I realized these guys had no idea what they were doing, and left after they asked me to go on tour with a Christian rock festival in Tennessee (I live in Maine). This guy started as the singer, then moved to bass after I bounced.

*Note* The drummer was a friend of mine, and left for the same reasons at the same time I did. We jam about once a week, and just for laughs, one of us will break into the opening of the "signature" song we had. It always ends with him hammering the double bass pedals and me reverting to Fieldy-type click-clacking

2. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Gene Simmons. (The Rush Limbaugh of bass.)

3. Jmassie

Jmassie

Jan 7, 2008
    Feildy. No doubt my least favorite. Giving slap bass a bad name every time he touches(Abuses) his bass

4. Mark Hoppus??? if he is even considered a bassist

5. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    I am.

6. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    I'd like to nominate Pete Wentz,

+1 I second that!

I can't stand that guy.

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I've never really thought about it and I can't come up with a good answer now. If I don't like a band/artist's music I don't listen to them or the bassplaying so I guess I don't have a "least favorite" bass player.

8. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    It's a 3-way tie between Fieldy, Pete Wentz, and Gene Simmons (the trifecta from hell IMO).

9. Bass2Bass7

Bass2Bass7

Sep 11, 2008
    Seattle
    Endorsing Artist: Performance Guitars, Ashdown Amplification & DR Strings
    Gotta go with Feildy! The fact that he thinks he's good is what kills me! "Killin me Smalls"

10. +100000

11. mokkat

mokkat

Jan 22, 2008
    Feildy gives me the chills. And why oh why did he make an instructional dvd?!

12. Jmassie

Jmassie

Jan 7, 2008
    DVD on what? How to piss of your bass tech?

Step one: Break lots of strings ( whether it be playing or just throwing the bass across the room, both work best on stage.)

step two: have zero tone control ( its best of you go all treble. all bass and no mids)

step three: Use lots of distortion to the point of blowing out your speakers ( Just have your endorser begrudingly send you new ones!)

13. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Pete Wentz.

Period.

14. drudonit

drudonit

Jan 30, 2009
    MI
    true that!

15. torlind

torlind

Feb 10, 2007
    Norway
    Don't forget Stuart Hamm! One of the worst out there. I can't understand why he is so hyped about in magazines. I find his playing very sloppy and with no groove at all.

16. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    I hope that this is an april fool's joke.

17. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    Jaco Pastorious, I mean no offense and I don't want to make any type of discusion, I just think he's the MOST overated bassist of ALL time.

18. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I wouldn't go that far, but I would say he's my least favorite. I know that every instrument needs its visionaries to carry the instrument forward, but I just don't care for what I hear from him. I think his disciples will find a way to take what he did and make it more palatable.

19. I cannot really criticize anyone who makes more money and is much better known than I.

FG

20. Natrix

Natrix

Mar 21, 2009
    Sydney Australia
    I tend to forget the names of players I don't dig .
    Sloppy time &/or bad intonation fretless are two things that'll shut me down pretty quickly though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.