1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

leave clip-on tuner on while performing?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Jan 9, 2021.

1. never

2. sometimes

3. always

4. I don't carrot all!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    I had that VHS tape when I was in high school (I think it was called "Live Zabor" or something). I was a huge Sugarcubes fan.

2. I have a vacuum tube Peterson strobe tuner duct tapped to my headstock. It a little heavy though.

3. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    But excellent sustain, yeah?

StereoPlayer likes this.
  4. Sustain for years and it doubles as sort of a fat finger.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  5. Speaking of fat fingers. No one complains when they see someone having one of those clamped to their headstock.

S-Bigbottom and gebass6 like this.
  6. Probably kills dead spots too.
    I had the Planet Waves strobo pedal for awhile, just not the same as a real Peterson.

A Korg Pitchblack has been in my live rig for several years as a tuner/mute/power supply - why would I want anything else?
    Nothing against clip on tuners, I have several and there is always one in my case as a backup.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  7. therumour

therumour

Jan 5, 2014
    Well, I think many in this forum would... (It's just who we are).

gebass6 likes this.
  8. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Jazz & Cocktails Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    This is the way.

Except on upright where I can clamp it on the side of the bridge facing up. Quite handy & discreet actually.

Yonni and StereoPlayer like this.
  9. therumour

therumour

Jan 5, 2014
    What about compliments?

S-Bigbottom and StereoPlayer like this.
  10. Flipowitz

Flipowitz

Jul 25, 2020
    I personally don't perform live for many reasons. It would probably depend on the energy that you play with, like if you stand still and play country or something, go for it. If you're like me, however, and play metal or high energy music and can't stand still and "mimic the energy of the music" there's no way that thing would stay on. So it's basically personal preference, I wouldn't leave it on because I think it would look horrible, so that's my two cents.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Yes, and I leave my strings on while playing, too. It makes no difference other than cosmetics. Who knows, he may have a problem string or tuner. Regardless, I don't care. It's unusual but not remarkable.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  12. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Unforgivable.

Fire the bassist.

13. Cernnunos

Cernnunos

Dec 28, 2019
    For those complaining that clip on tuners are inaccurate and pick up a bunch of extra sounds, they generally have a setting for either microphone or vibration tuning. If you have it set to vibration, extra sounds will never be a problem.

tuner switch.jpg

mexicant, DrMole and gebass6 like this.
  14. MGCollis

MGCollis

Mar 24, 2007
    Ontario
    Same thing here. I've got a Pitchblack on the floor. No one wants to hear people tuning. And besides, I use it as mute between sets, especially a good thing when a clumsy wait staff knocked my bass off the stand. Don't worry, the bass was fine.

15. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Never. If my shorts don’t have pockets I clip it to my sunglasses or music stand.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I have no idea why clip-on tuners bug anyone. When you think about it, guitar/bass tuning keys and pegs aren't exactly beautiful (not IMO, anyway), but everyone accepts them sprouting off of headstocks because they have an important purpose. So do clip-on tuners. There are alternatives to clip-ons, obviously, but they can have drawbacks.

Same here. The only reason I take one off is because some of the clips don't hold very firmly (I own a variety of clip-ons), so there's risk of the thing flying off and disappearing when I do a rock star pose. :bassist:

And that's actually happened to me, but fortunately the house sound guy eventually found it and gave it back to me when my band returned to the venue 2 months later.

Winslow likes this.
  17. Nope. My clip on tuner stays on my ukulele. For the electric instruments, everything goes thru the tuner on the pedal board.

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  18. robassable

robassable Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Years ago, I always thought they looked kinda cheesy, but now that I have gotten used to seeing so many guys using them that I hardly notice. Admittedly, I now keep them on the entire performance, and feel the practicality and usefulness of clip on tuners far out weighs the vanity factor.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  19. BadCaps

BadCaps

Feb 9, 2019
    A clip-on tuner left on the headstock during a performance is the guitar equivalent of training wheels on a bike. It screams, "that person is still learning the basics".

StayLow likes this.
  20. That's so old school. Get yourself a Peterson Strobo HD it's lighter and if you use gaffers tape won't fall off when you spin your guitar! :p

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021