1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

leave clip-on tuner on while performing?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Jan 9, 2021.

1. never

2. sometimes

3. always

4. I don't carrot all!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    I use one at home but I use a Seiko plug-in tuner for gigs. The tracking on the B string isn't all that clever on the clip I have. I'd rather plug in and know for sure. The average bar gig here is two 45 minute sets, I tune up after the bass has sat at room temp for a while before playing the first set and again before the second set.

Winslow likes this.
  2. Wally Groove

Wally Groove

Mar 13, 2020
    You just broke the internet. Hysterical.

3. Wally Groove

Wally Groove

Mar 13, 2020
    Hysterical.

Winslow and StereoPlayer like this.
  4. Wally Groove

Wally Groove

Mar 13, 2020
    THIS is a great idea!

WI Short Scaler, Samatza and Winslow like this.
  5. markymac

markymac

Feb 4, 2015
    England, uk
    Hi all. I use a Korg Sledghammer custom tuner for all my guitars and basses. 1, it has a bright display and its fast. 2, tune my ibanez sr basses once and they're in tune for the night. 3, and most importantly is it uses a AAA battery which lasts about 6 months. So much better looking and lasting than the watch battery ones. I had a D'addario one which was not clear, awkward to use and the battery would die within hours. I do miss my old tuner though, Arion stage tuner pedal from the 1980s.

6. I have a tuner built in on my Mini max head with a mute so I use that..but then I have a stable bass and I only tune it before a show, then check it between sets..thats it..i have a snark tuner but it stays in the case just in the event that something may happen where I would need it..I don't like the look of the tuner clipped on but then I don't judge that either...makes no difference to me..

Edit: I guess now I'm kinda wondering why they don't put tuners in the actual bass itself like some electric acoustic guitars do with the preamp..at least on active basses where there is already a power supply..? has it been done or am I about to be rich with my new idea.?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  7. Not only on electric acoustics either. Our guitarist has a beautiful cherry burst Les Paul that has a tuner built in.

Seems it wouldn't be that hard.

Of course I always thought it would make sense to put peanut butter in a tube (like toothpaste) so you didn't have to scrape the bottom of the jar. People just laughed at the idea. Genius is never recognized during a lifetime I tell ya :D

8. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    That's so funny that you posted that. I was looking at my Facebook memories today and on this day a few years back, I posted about how Marmite (a sticky, savoury yeast-based spread) should be packaged in a tube. I tagged Marmite in my post, but I guess they weren't fussed.

9. That's classic! :laugh:

Polkatronixx likes this.
  10. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    BTW - peanut butter in a tube is a great idea. I'd buy it - especially if it were in a recyclable tube!

Winslow likes this.
  11. And in return I'll try Marmite! :thumbsup:

68Tele-Bass likes this.
  12. Jaco didn't need no clip on tuner.

HA!

13. Apparently they do make it.

Jiff
    Jif Squeeze Creamy Peanut Butter - 13oz
    ee95ca08e678c80382b1eaaf8f2dc1a0.jpg

Skippy.
    Skippy Squeeze Peanut Butter-Walmart.com

[​IMG]

These are just the major companies, there are many others making pouches.
    I have also never seen them before, guess I will be looking next time at the store.

14. S-Bigbottom and Winslow like this.
  15. I do- I keep I towards the rear of the headstock to be more “unobtrusive”. But then I clip a fuzzy emoji :cool: Plushie on it to make it part of my “vibe” seems to go over pretty well - 148AE437-D1D6-4B3B-891D-C960FA678C23.jpeg

Wife has the “kissy face” emoji she sports on her Snark... 3A5431AB-9BCE-4FEF-A759-C99BD2BC9477.jpeg

16. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I turn it off after tuning but keep it on the headstock. Also, I've used visual cues from guitarist's snarks in the past whilst playing tunes with which I'm unfamiliar. I've even requested that they leave them on and within my view a time or two.

Winslow likes this.
  17. FANTASTIC!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Winslow and StereoPlayer like this.
  18. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

For those following along & willing to learn, this is a machine-head paddle:

fcwm-online-tuner-bass-video.jpg

this is a machine-head capstan:

string_tuners-jpg.jpg

Ah-Ha, this is what it was making me feel, but I didn't know the words.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  19. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    FWIW, I always call 'em the tuning key and the tuner post.

I know, not worth a lot ...

gebass6 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  20. Kind of looks like a key...that tunes your instrument!

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021