1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

leave clip-on tuner on while performing?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Jan 9, 2021.

1. never

2. sometimes

3. always

4. I don't carrot all!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Frndmoretti

Frndmoretti

Jun 17, 2017
    Brazil
    I keep it on the headstock in case I need it. I prefer not to have anything in my pockets when I'm playing because it looks better when there is a picture and you don't have the shape of your keys/phone/wallet/tuner there.

mexicant and S-Bigbottom like this.
  2. therumour

therumour

Jan 5, 2014
    S-Bigbottom likes this.
  3. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    I forgot about Spooner. Never heard them, though.

I do love a rock bio. I just finished reading the Robert Pollard biography. Black Postcards by Dean Wareham of Galaxie 500/Luna is a really good one, as is Bad Vibes by Luke Haines of the Auteurs.

I don't necessarily have to be a big fan - or even a fan - to enjoy the book (Bad Vibes is a good example), but I kind of hated Ministry. I liked a few songs okay, but it seemed to me that Jourgensen was trying waaaay to hard. That's not to say that I wouldn't find the book interesting, though. I have been meaning to finish the autobiography of Stephen Morris of New Order. I might consider the Jourgensen one after that...

4. Wally Groove

Wally Groove

Mar 13, 2020
    I have a TC Electronics UniTune (best headstock tuner bar none). I have it on the back of my headstock, barely visible to the audience and I check tuning a few times a set just to be sure. All my basses seem to stay in tune well but I just like the reassurance.

mexicant and el jeffe bass like this.
  5. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I just read Mark Lanegan's autobio - it's really good. The other really interesting one was Bob Mould's from a few years back. Like Keef's, these guys have rare and even disturbing lifestyles and they demand a certain amount of open-mindedness from the reader, but they make for entertaining reading, and I like when they tie a story into a song and album. Billy Joe Shaver's autobio was predictably a bit more conservative, but interesting nonetheless. I have the Gang of Four and Motorhead books awaiting me.

6. Cernnunos

Cernnunos

Dec 28, 2019
    My instruments holds a tune really well, and I don't do any alternate tunings. I put it on, tune up, put it away. There's no need for me to keep it on, and I don't like the nagging thought that it's going to fly off during one of my sweet rock star moves.

7. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    I loved the Screaming Trees when I was in high school. Mainly Buzz Factory - I wasn't crazy about the earliest stuff and I didn't like the 'grunge' sound they ended up developing.

I just bought the Bob Mould bio for my Kindle after reading your comment. I am about to start reading it. Thanks for the recommendation. I got one of his vinyl box sets for xmas, so this is a good fit. I find that whenever I read one of these books, I want to listen to the band/artist a whole bunch.

vvvmmm likes this.
  8. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    I just ordered a UniTune for my acoustic guitars, mandolin and banjo. Everything that I read said that it is among the top clip on tuners. I’m looking forward to using it.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. I ran across this pic today. Apparently it doesn’t bother Leland Sklar.
    Oops I found another... he played a few stages. With a couple of bands. Might be a fat finger of sorts...but it’s still sumthin clamped to the headstock.
    2856B5F9-4E6B-416D-A446-B736C053B7F4.jpeg 5DE30F41-65A1-40C0-A740-DDD59C4B65ED.jpeg

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Recently I bought a Snark Super Tight HZ specifically for the Hertz function, which won't work on a 0.107" diameter string tuned to B0.
    It recognizes the note fine, but won't display Hertz below D1. Yeah, I realized the string-tension is the issue.

el jeffe bass likes this.
  11. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Those both look like tuners. Mr. Sklar probably cares more about being in tune than what someone thinks about something as trivial as a tuner hanging off his bass.
    Edited to add, nice photos of a bass icon. Thanks for sharing them.

12. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I think it depends on the situation. I think if you are playing in the band for a nationally televised late night talk show, or American idol or something like that you probably should not. Unless there is slim chance you will be on camera.

13. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Many of my gig pics have the tuner visible on the headstock. Many of my gig pics do not. I try to remember to remove it, but...

mexicant and Winslow like this.
  14. Smith357

Smith357

Jul 7, 2018
    OH
    If you had a bass that actually stayed in tune you would not need to leave a tuner stuck to it. :p

15. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    Yeah ,seems most working musicians don't see what all the noise is over a tuner, most of my band mates leave them on during gigs. I've got bigger worries then if a tuner is on my headstock.

16. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

'working musician' is where it will be seen the most
    I wonder what non-musicians think it is.

I'm reminded of when a prominent figure was faking playing an acoustic guitar.
    There was a capo on the whole time, so his fretting hand meant nothing.
    Fooled a lot of people!

StereoPlayer likes this.
  17. That is a tuner clipped near his tuners on both photos.

Blueinred, mexicant and StereoPlayer like this.
  18. I honestly don't think non-musicians don't care or even know the difference. Heck, even my wife looks at bands and says, " which one is the bass?" :banghead:

19. A moment of silence for KBD...

20. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Jazz & Cocktails Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    DFFF962A-F6CF-48E7-87D9-E779033D9E68.jpeg

Winslow and StereoPlayer like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021