1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Let's See some Double P Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Resonance129, Feb 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Certainly that's an option, but I really, really dig how smooth and quiet the split-coil Fender 55's sound. I would have to find some kind of "magic bullet" P/J combo to make me even consider taking it out of the formula.
    Interesting. Maybe it's because of my choice of strings at that time (Ernie Bass Cobalt Rounds), but the Quarter Pounders didn't sound muffled/muddy to my ears at all. It was all growl and very aggressive, which normally wouldn't be a bad thing for me, but adding in the Super 55 had almost zero-impact on the overall sound. That's saying something, given how beefy and strong the 55's tend to be.

All that being said, I still plan on giving the MFD-P a whirl and see how it turns out.

2. pjbassist

pjbassist Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    @DangYankee that is truly a thing of beauty! That is my new favorite pickup configuration. Nice work on the Gotoh bridge too, I love mine...here she is...

20180404_162457.jpg

3. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

moonshinegtrs likes this.
  4. Pretty sure all the current production Dingwalls are two or three reverse p. They are in a soap bar like shells though so they don’t look like a p pickup.

Warwicks also done a few. Friend of mine had a fortress with this pickup configuration. Couldn’t find a picture of one though. I did find a picture of the buzzard I think it was called.
    DB2CF1E0-F166-447B-9987-FC989BD09586.gif

mikewalker likes this.
  5. When I first saw the title I was thinking double basses with P pups!

6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Reddy originated in 1926 to promote electrification of the US. Was used by various groups, particularly power companies. My dad worked for San Diego Gas & Electric and played on their softball teams over the years. They used Reddy Kilowatt as the team logo. I had a windbreaker with one on it for years.

Reddy Kilowatt - Wikipedia

7. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    Always thought those looked cool. No clue what they sound or feel like, but I'd be proud to stand on a stage with one dangling from my shoulder :cool:. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

8. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
  9. John Wymore

John Wymore

Friday
    I sure hope this bass is alive and well somewhere!! It was one of the cooler basses I built.

10. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    Hi John! Hope you’re well. If you’re talking about the Blue Bomber, I did track it down, and can confirm that it’s alive and well. I wasn’t able to work out a deal to bring it back to NJ, but am happy that it’s in a good home.

I can also confirm that it’s the coolest bass I ever owned, and a testament to the type of work you can do.

11. John Wymore

John Wymore

Friday
    Cool that you were able to locate it ..... good to hear! Sorry you couldn't get it back.