Looking for 5 string with small body, thin neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by guitarkim79, Feb 25, 2006.

1. guitarkim79

May 8, 2002
    Hi - I've searched and searched, and I just can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I have two basses right now, but I'm trying to find one that fits me. Here is what I'm looking for:

- 5 string

- Thin + narrow neck, with ~17 mm spacing

- Small body

- Lightweight

- prefer 34" scale, but 35" will probably work if the upper horn is long enough to make it "feel" shorter

- Small frets - like Lakland - would be nice, but if everything else about the bass fits, I can work with jumbo frets

I currently have a MTD Kingston 5 and a MIM Fender Deluxe Jazz. The neck of the MTD is too wide for my small hands, and the Fender body is too big.

For electronics, the only things I've played and haven't liked are active EMGs and the passive Fender pickups in the MIM standard jazz (too noisy). I like the sounds I can get out of both of my current basses.

I've tried a Cort Artisan A5 that I liked. I'm interested in the Peavey Cirrus bolt-on, but I haven't found one yet. Any suggestions for other basses that I should try? My cost limit is $1000, and I prefer to buy used.
  2. bassistjo

Jun 22, 2005
  3. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Sounds like you need a good ol Ibanez Soundgear...

but seriously, the SR1005 is great, I own it (the walnut top one). The neck is really comfy, and I think its actually got 16.5mm spacing.
  4. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    scott surine makes a bass with a narrow fast neck and fingerboard.
    super nice guy
    I just dont dig the body designs or headstock, for the exception of the semi hollow!

O dont know if you could get under that $1k bar though used
  5. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    ibanez, all the wayy
  6. guitarkim79

May 8, 2002
    Thanks for the Ibanez suggestions. I've tried the SR-505, SRX-505, SRX-705, and an older SR neck-through 5 string. The store labeled it SR-1200, but I think it must be a SR-1205? The SRXs and SR-1205 had finished necks, which I didn't like.

Anyway, the SR-505 was OK. The one I tried was a bit heavier than the Cort A5, and I didn't like the neck as much. It felt thicker than the Cort, but it could have just been the shape of the neck. I definitely need to try the SR-905 and SR-1005.

Thanks for the suggestions!
  7. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Another Ibanez plug- they match your description perfectly. the SRX-705 is GREAT bass for teh money. It sounds, plays, and look excellent! The SR-905 is definately worth a look, as is the 705. Curbows are bad if you liek to play sitting ang get uncomfortable, but they are good basses. The necks are a bit wider than the SR's.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You should check out Skjold basses and talk to Pete Skjold. His basses seem to have very compact bodies. I believe he'll also do pretty much whatever you want.

IIRC his pricing is pretty good, but might be above 1K.
  9. MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    I would suggest finding a Modulus Flea 5,beacuse of the 1.75 inches at the nut and its overall dimensions feel smaller than any jazz-style bass I have ever played. I have very small hands too. My Flea Basses are some of the most comfortable I've ever played. I know these go for more than 1K when new (sorry) But you might get lucky to find one used.

Also I would try to find a Lakland Skyline Daryl Jones 5, I really don't know how available those basses are.
    I just got a DJ 4 last month. The body of that bass is VERY comfortable !! I really dig that passive bass sound Yeah!

Happy Hunting
  10. I was going to say Warwick Thumb- til I reread the original post(lightweight). Corvettes are, IME, heavy(I had a 6 that was 12 lbs even:eek: )but balance well & otherwise fit the bill.

Edit: Again I say oops: Warwick necks are not, IMO, 'thin'- though they are narrower than I prefer.
  11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    You said "like lakland." I suggest you go with a 55-02, and/or 55-94. Sounds like everything you'll need in one nice package. I was going to get a 55-02 until I decided the 35" scale wasn't for me. However, I'm playing a pretty fast metal band and the stretches were just too tough.

I can't wait until I get my 44-02 :).
  12. dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    I have the Cort Artisan A5 and for me it fits all of your prerequisites... Maybe you should pick up the A5 again and give it a second test drive. :)

On a side note, I really fell in love with the A5 after I put a set of DR Lo-Riders on...
  13. That's what I was after - try a Roscoe, I found the neck to be about perfect, I don't like basses with big bodies but the Roscoe again was just what I was looking for.
    They have a 35 inch scale but I have to say that I didn't really notice it, my usual bass is a short scale one and I don't get on with with long necks usually ie Fender etc.
    I tried a Warwick and the neck wasn't to my liking at all - way too bulky.
  14. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Check out Ibanez SR-series. They all have quite a slim neck, and and they are really comfortable to play.
  15. guitarkim79

May 8, 2002
    Thank you for all of the suggestions so far!

I'm still interested in the Cort Artisan A5, but i wanted to try some others before I decide. They're great basses.
  16. Music Man... thin neck, 34" scale, tight spacing. Not a super small body, but very, very playable if you have small hands.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If you can find an old Tune Bass Maniac 5-string, you'll have exactly what you are looking for.
  19. steve21

steve21 Banned

Ibanez SR1005 should be about 1000, or if you want insane quality for half the price the 505.