1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MAJOR Ampeg cabinet issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by laurie, Apr 27, 2009.

1. laurie

laurie

May 21, 2007
    I bought an Ampeg SVT410 HLF about 2 years ago and has been giving me nothing but grief. Speakers were being blown out at a rate of one every two months, after the third time I took it to a tech and he told me the factory wired it all wrong and fixed it. Then it happened again and I was told it must be the head because it's an old 400RB that may have worn transmitters, not worth fixing. So I went out and got a brand new 700 RB, and another speaker. I just came back from tour and the club had poor electricity and had a black out. When the power came back on, I had nothing. The head works fine(tried it on the other band's amp) . But the cabinet has ZERO power.

Has this happened to anyone? I'm seriously ready to throw this cabinet off a cliff, and for the amount of $$ I put into it, I could have had another cabinet by now. Any suggestions?

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I went through this with my old GK 4x10 and GK RB400. Make sure your impedance is correct (meaning 4 ohm max head with 2 8 ohm cabs or one 4 ohm cab for example).

The manufacturer told me it was a "bad batch" of speakers that I switched out TWICE, but it turns out it was my own dumb fault for running the wrong impedance in the end...

this was long before Talkbass ;)

3. laurie

laurie

May 21, 2007
    The HLF is 4ohm, the GK700RB is 4 ohm as well. Everything matches, even with the old head. Has ampeg ever had a bad batch of cabinets with the worst wiring ever? If not I might be the first one to debate it.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I don't know what to tell you. Any time I see someone fighting that much with anything, get rid of it! Blow some money on something better and be happy! A good bass cab should last for years and years. Good luck

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Just wondering if this is a US or Asian version?

If US version, I would suspect certain things, possibly major low-end boosting, etc. The Eminence speakers in US Ampeg units are tough.

If an Asian version, I understand the speakers have been re-sourced, and might be a real, legitimate, problem. or not.

6. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Without being a dick here. Something sounds a little funny with this thread.

Ah, this is the same problem from her thread 6 months ago. You have not found assistance from anybody in six months?

Inverted cone? I make jokes about inverting cones, but never actually seen somebody do it. Well actually I did it once myself but it was a 2" speaker I hooked up to my Bassman in 1969 for the fun of it.

This sounds like bringing up the rig and then plugging in the guitar cord into the amp with the volume up full and then trying to plug the cord into the bass...

I have an SVT-410HLF along with a bunch of 810's and 215's and haven't popped a single speaker myself. There's either something seriously wrong with the amp, possible operator error or somebody abused this cab so badly that I can't believe it would even sound good before the speakers leave.

BOB

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to rbonner's post. Something ain't right here.

8. laurie

laurie

May 21, 2007
    To answer some questions:

- It's not a guitar cord, it's a speaker cable.
    - I posted that six months ago and took the advice of bringing it to a tech.
    -The volume on my head NEVER went above the half way mark, the boost also never went up. I don't crank my equipment. Even at shows.
    - When the speakers blows, the cone is shot out, hanging by the wires, the inverted one looked like it was gonna blow any moment, so that one was replaced too.
    -All the replaced speaker are Eminence with proper ohm.

To add:
    Back at home in NY I had a great old Ampeg 810(early 70's model) which never gave me any grief and I bought this one brand new at GC in San Francisco and I wish I never did.

9. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    Do you turn your master volume all the way down before powering up your amp? You can blow speakers if your volume is up when the power comes on.

10. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    You're going to have to explain this again please, I can't quite figure out what you mean...

11. Well you should be using an instrument cable between your bass and amp, but that isnt the problem.

You missed his point, he said it seems like you are turning the amp on and then plugging in your bass (causing a massive spike in output). The gain and volume don't have to be all the way up to be pumping out the juice. Are you clipping the amp at all (regarldess of where your dials are set).

Are you adding huge amounts of bass with EQ anywhere along the line?

12. Doesn't the HLF have a fuse on the inside?

13. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Do i know you? hhaha we did that around 1971 or so with a Marshall major into a 2 inch... Poooof.. :D
    if i knew then what i know now about amp transformers i never would have done it.. but the amp is still working today without issues.. that speaker caught on fire though... boy that was more fun than fireworks...:eek:

14. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Its for the tweeter. Shouldn't/wouldn't cause the problem.

I had an 810 that did something similar. Double and triple check the wiring, then get the speakers checked.

15. Ah yes...you are correct...I just remember when my tweeter on my HLF was having issues everyone brought up the fuse. You are right, this wouldn't cause the problems she is experiencing.

16. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I think I did mine about 1970 but yes we think alike, and you are correct it was way way cool to do. Ah to be 15 / 16 again.

Ok back to Laurie's problem.

This should not be happening obviously. It sounds like the spider on the INVERTED speaker unglued itself and the cone is dangling by the wiskers. This is something Eminence and AMPEG / LOUDPEG / LOUD should be involved with.

Laurie this is a warranty issue if you registered your cab when you bought it. Even so, with the manufacturing date, you should still be under the five year warranty and should be getting FREE replacements not having to pay for this. Especially spiders coming apart. Even if a normal speaker blow happens the spiders should not come unglued.

I think this tech took you for a ride.

I'd feel better if an SVT-3PRO was involved Manufacturer vs Manufacturer instead of the 700RB GK, but lets put out a call... Robert Gallien are you around somewhere?

BOB

17. laurie

laurie

May 21, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies, I do appreciate it.

I just spoke with another tech. He told me that I may have an issue with the crossover and I'm going to go over there and troubleshoot the speaker with him tomorrow. He seems to think the blackout and the power surging back on may have caused this. I also got a phone number of a repair shop that's Ampeg authorized and you're right. It is under warranty and I'm gonna make sure to not spend any more money on this thing. Seriously, I think Ampeg owes me that much.

The GK has been tested on two other cabinet to make sure it wasn't the head. The head works fine.

I will update you guys and let you know what happens because nobody should ever go through this.

18. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Please post pics/videos of this cab! :cool:

19. There's your problem.

20. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    I've had nothing but trouble with authorized Ampeg technicians, especially on warranty issues with my newer SVT-CL. Make SURE you let them know that you refuse to pay a cent to have it fixed, and if they tell you to talk to Ampeg about it, one of two things will happen: 1, you won't be able to contact a human being in the company, and 2: if you do, they will tell you the dealer is responsible for fixing it. I've been turned down at multiple service centers literally because I didn't buy it there, and it would take too much time for the money to come from Ampeg to the shop (so they could be paid). They told me to take it to where I bought it.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just trying to save you some trouble based on my experience with the goons that are involved with Ampeg today.