1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marcus Miller clone alert!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DWBass, Mar 2, 2008.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

His name is Kenji Hino.

Kenji Hino

Seems to be out of tune on this one.

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Let the guy be happy...

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh, I'm not hating at all! What with all the millions of Victor Wooten clones, it's quite refreshing to hear something different for a change!

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    He's pretty damn good. Easily on par with Marcus, imo.

5. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Is he playing an Atelier Z?

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    His version of "Portrait of Tracy" is killer. It is kind of smooth jazz sounding, but it is really a fresh take with him playing in the upper register instead of using the harmonics and it really freshens up an old standard.:)

7. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Yep! His brother Mas Hino worked for Rudy's (Pensa Suhr) in NYC and is now working for Atelier Z. By working I mean building basses:)

Their father is jazz trumpet player Terumasa Hino.

8. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    As you said IYO,he's good but when I hear guy's who have a heavy primary influence I always like to hear them take their playing somewhere else. dwbass mentioned peter muller and my thing about him is this;EVERYTHING he does is heavily Marcus sounding,from his playing to his writing to his production.If you are familar with marcus's body of work you will basically hear everything peter does or has done so far.

9. Very cool stuff

10. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

That guy's an excellent player. But Jeez, He really does sound like Marcus. Wow

11. I'm going to have to check that out.I'm a total Marcus freak and i just bought a Atelier Z bass. I'm on dialup so I'll be back in a year as soon as the clips finish loading.

12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    IMO what he's playing doesn't sound like Marcus very much at all, it's more about his tone. Oh and how he holds his hands over the bass. Not much else!

He honestly just sounds like a smooth jazz bass player with an ash j bass with 70's pickup spacing... There are a TON of these guys around. As Marcus is one of the fathers of the "smooth jazz bass tone" there are naturally going to be "clones"

I guarantee if he was playing an MTD there would be no issue!

13. I have a Atelier Z like that and it has the 60s spacing.The Tomohito Aoiki Model.I'm having it changed this week.I like the 70s spacing better.
    Anyway there is too much distortion and compression in his tone to remind me of Marcus and there is something too "in your face" about his style.Not relaxed and sexy like Marcus.
    Like a really good bass student of Marcus.I like him and don't want to put him down.In a few years he'll have it together and then he'll really be worth checking out.
    Peter Muller is a different story.He sounds more like Marcus but his compositions are really strong and easily on par with the best there is out there in the Bassworld.

14. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    If this is the result of cloning, I'm all against stem cell research, then, because thse clones are all defective. . . LOL

The guy's alright, but light-years behind Marcus. And his timing sucks - plays nervously ahead of the beat all the time (just like me...)

I agree that Peter Muller is much better all around.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Come on guys, we all know there is only ONE Marcus Miller!! I was merely pointing out the similarities by using the word clone incorrectly I suppose! But it's obvious he greatly influenced. His bass is a Jazz with a neck pickup cover and he holds his thumb like Marcus. As for copping Marcus' sound, I've only heard Peter Muller and Oskar Cartaya (the latin version of Marcus) come the closest.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

:eek:

17. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    It' pretty much a smooth jazz version of the SWV song "rain" which sampled Jaco's song......

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

LOL! Well, hey, that's just MY description of him! I can bet you he's influenced by Marcus as well as his latin roots!

19. すばらしい!
    Thanks for sharing that, DWB. Hino-san is a really great player. Its obvious that he is influenced by Marcus Miller. If he can take that influence and use it to find his own voice, he will be a very memorable player.

20. giovabass

giovabass

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    If i heard this and I didn't know who is, I would think for sure that's Marcus Miller:

http://media.instituteofbass.com/ad...d=1&authcode=850e0a3a79c6045dbb94fede50a03623

Don't know if this is good or bad... :ninja:

P.S.: sorry for my english :oops: