1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass LMII - is having no mute really a problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theophilus762, Mar 25, 2009.

1. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I've been checking out the new Markbass gear and I already have gas, even though I absolutely LOVE my LMII! However, many are chiming in about their opinions on the LMIII not having a mute, when MB is adding it to their tube models.

But I have to ask...is not having a mute really a problem? In between sets I just flip the switch and turn my LMII off. Sometimes I just hit the mute switch on my Sadowsky Outboard Preamp/DI, or drop the volume on my EB volume pedal, or I can just turn on my planet waves tuner. It's not a tube amp so I'm not really concerned with it having to warm up or cool down, so I don't see what the deal is.

Am I completely missing something?
    :eyebrow:

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Same here, tuner pedal does the job, and there's no problem with just flipping the on/off switch if you don't have one of those. I guess some people are just used to having one and miss it!

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Not a huge problem for me either. I have a mute pedal on my floorboard, or the volume swell. But most of the time I use the mute switch on my Planet Waves cable (great idea BTW), or the mute switch on my wireless transmitter.

4. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Keep in mind that some folks (me for instance) don't use any pedals. Bass -> cable -> head.

A mute switch is a nice thing to have but not a necessity.

5. I'm the same: Bass -> cable -> head.

Virtually all of my previous amps had a mute. Got the LM II. I don't miss it a bit. Turn the volume down or switch it off. No biggie. (Love this head by the way!)

6. This has been beat to death:D. If you are one who uses a mute switch, you will miss it, to the point of possibly not considering the amp. If you are one like me who has never used one, it's a moot (mute!) point!

If you like the LMII tone and really want a mute switch, just fork over the extra $75 and get the LMTube, which has all kinds of extra goodies, and I assume the same sound as the LMII and LMIII with the tube blended out of the signal chain.

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    +1. This describes me exactly. At times I miss having a mute switch, but it doesn't deter me from very much enjoying my LMII and my new F1.

8. +10 tuner pedal....or wait holy moly they put a volume knob On the bass....

9. While I see your point, many have a Vol/Vol setup so when you turn the volume to zero you have to fiddle with 2 knobs to get what you want when you start playing again. But, using the volume knob on the amp would work just as well :)

10. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah I dont use "pedals" either (effects pedals that is) but I do have my tuner pedal between the bass and my LMII, so that takes care of the muting. But other than that, I would just turn down the volume on the bass if I had to. Dont miss a mute on an amp at all.

11. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

12. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I just pull my cable out of my amp.

13. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    None of these solutions work with tuners plugged into tuner outs of the amp. They all mute the input to the tuner. Cable mutes, wireless transmitter mutes, turning down the bass volume, turning off the amp (shuts off the tuner out circuit), unplugging the cable from the amp, etc. The tuner mute built into amps is just a nice feature that people who like rack tuners and silent tuning.
    It looks like they are using a pull out volume knob for a mute on many models. That should help.
    Wes

14. +1 While I don't use a 'tuner out' on any amp, the idea of going through the trouble to include a tuner out jack, and then not including a mute switch is 'strange'. Not a big deal, but strange anyway.

15. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    I'm in the tuner mute camp. The darn thing sounds so good that I just don't mind its not having a mute switch.

16. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    That's why I mentioned the Planet Waves circuit breaker cable (as someone else also did). Perfect solution if you go bass - cable - amp. Pretty much what it's designed for.

17. I think his point is that the many only find a mute switch useful with regards to tuning. The circuit breaker cable would be of no use for that, since it would mute the tuner input along with the amp.

I guess that cable would be useful for switching basses within a set, but can't see much advantage with it over just turning the bass volume down between sets if that's the only thing you are using it for. IMO and IME.

18. I just use the power switch as a "mute" switch. And if I needed to silently tune, I'd just put the tuner before the amp in the chain and still use the amp power switch as a mute.

19. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    yes. I think so.. for $600.. it should have a mute button.. it's a good thing to have in case a pedal fails. a "huge" problem? no.. but while the lmII is impressive.. I still say anything costing $599.. or higher.. should have a mute button.. at least it has a tuner out.. I love hitting mute on Genz.. then having the tuner out be functional.

I often use a boss tuner pedal... so it's not that big an issue.. but it is, to me, an issue.. I like not touching the volume.. leaving it as-is.. why not have a mute.. it cannot cost much to add.. at least they are adding it.