1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Metal man looking for beautiful voluminous D-class amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Magnus Lykke, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Magnus Lykke

Magnus Lykke

Feb 22, 2016
    Denmark
    Okay, first time posting so i might make some mistakes that make you go "duh"

As the title describes i am looking to buy my (first) amp - however i have played for several years. I play in a prog-doom metal band and i am not looking for a nescessary versatile amp. I have set my gaze upon the range of D-class head amps, and i have about 700-1100 USD at disposale, not said that i have to use all of my money - on the other hand i am not a cheapskate.

My style of playing is as i describe it leaning towards the low end. I like the deep notes and blending in with the bass drum, however i also like to keep my distance and be more than just an addition to drums. In this persuit i like the idea of growley tones at times, and definetely some sharpness at all times

I have looked into buying several diffrent amps. here among - Aguilar TH500 or the AG500/SC, a GK MB Fusion 800 or the RB1001 ii, or if we move away from the D-class The Fafner from EBS. All of them is something i can get in the before mentioned price range

People of influetial power are men like Arif Mirabdolbaghi of PTH, John Myung of Dream Theater, one of the nameless hooded ghouls in Ghost BC and to some lengths Jean Michel Labadie of Gojira

Thanks in advance

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

What speaker cabinets? They'll make more of a difference than the head.

Turkeypills and mbelue like this.
  3. With no info other than what's above. ..try the new Genzler amplification Magellan 800. Supposed to be the bees knees!

Linnin likes this.
  4. joeinalabama

joeinalabama

Feb 11, 2016
    Cabs... Your cabs are going to make a huge difference. If you want power sure all the heads you listed are great power heads. If you want a little more versatility in your sound along with your bottom end check out something like the carvin bx1600. Its basically 2 tunable amps with the configuration of sound you are looking for with the right cabs. For example you could run 4x10 cab with a 15 or an 18 and sculp the sound. I could be wrong about what I think you are looking for but check it out it works perfect for me on the heavy scene

Fingerpickingood likes this.
  5. G-K 1001RB II is not a class D amp, it is an "old fashioned" class G/H. The MB series are all class D from G-K, the RB series are not.

mbelue and tombowlus like this.
  6. If Doom is your thing, I might recommend seeing if you can score a Streamliner by Genz Benz. They're out of production, but you might have some luck in the Classifieds portion of the forums, as they do pop up from time to time. They were produced in 600W and 900W flavors.

If you can get to a Guitar Center, see if you can find a Bugera Veyron-T (the "T" stands for "tube"), a try, since it looks like it drew its inspiration from the G-B Streamliner and G-K Fusion concepts.

But I'll echo the sentiments of others encouraging you to shop for some good cabs first. Buy whatever head gives you the tone shaping and headroom you need. Buy the best cabs you can ALMOST afford.

spaz21387 likes this.
  7. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I personally don't think a 4x10 cab with a 1x15 cab is a good idea, by the way.
    But choice of cabs matter a lot, IMO.

mbelue likes this.
  8. Doom is quite unlike prog.

By deep and growly and sharp you mean balsy bass guitar well heard. Get the guitarists to give up the stadium rigs and use little combos miked into the PA.

Gravedigger Dav and mbelue like this.
  9. Magnus Lykke

Magnus Lykke

Feb 22, 2016
    Denmark
    I here y'all and further extend my question. What choice of cabs are the "bee knees". Does it matter what combination of brands I use between head and cab. As of now I am using a warwick 4×10 cab

10. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    One of the great advantages of class D/SMPS amps is that they are not voluminous.

spaz21387 likes this.
  11. Magnus Lykke

Magnus Lykke

Feb 22, 2016
    Denmark
    I think what I intended it to sound like was that the actual volume as in the sound were big

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It is certainly a great time to be a bass player, as we have a wide range of excellent options.

The class-D heads which work well for metal and which also fit into your price range would, IME/IMHO, include the following (in alphabetical order):

Darkglass head (coming soon!)
    EBS Reidmar 750
    Genzler Magellan 800
    GK Fusion MB800
    GK MB800
    Mesa/Boogie D-800
    Orange Terror Bass 500/1000 (discontinued)
    Peavey Headliner 1000
    Peavey MiniMega

Probably forgetting some... And of course, if you go the used route, then there's a bunch more options at your disposal.

Edited to add Darkglass and Orange

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  13. I would add:

- Laney Nexus SL
    - Any new Carvin amp

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Very few of the current crop of MI companies seem to be rating things reliably in RMS, instead going with a bunch of ratings that are homegrown based upon peak, burst or a few other things that they feel represents the perceived volume of their wares. That said, I'd cross out any amp that's purporting to be a 500w amp off your list and I'd be looking at 800 as your floor for wattage ratings, and depending upon what your speakers can actually handle, I'd be considering things in the 1000w plus range.

15. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    You play metal, you need power. Forget the 500 watters. You're going to need at least 800. And get speakers. You cannot go wrong with the 4x10/high-power 115/118 combo so many on this board love.

I'm running the Markbass LM800 (NON TUBE VERSION) and oh boy does that thing have some tone and volume, either into 2 115 GoLights or 2 4x10s. Or all four, if the gig is big enough.

16. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    Ampeg PF-800 into an 810E or 610HLF should do the trick.

High Camp likes this.
  17. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    My shortlist recommendation is (based upon what I own):
    Genzler Magellan 800 (extremely versatile, very nice tone shaping ability)
    GK Fusion MB800 (grindy, can go very deep & thunderous with the right cab [I'd suggest the Schroeder PL212 for thunderous with the head])

I would NOT recommend the Aguilar TH500 based on your description. Good for rock or old-school, but it is not deep &/or sharp.

18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    To translate - he is saying that your choice of cab will make a much bigger difference in your sound than your choice of head.

Sounds like you are not in the US, so Carvin is probably not on your radar.

Aguilars - some people love 'em, some people say they distort to easily. More of an "old school" sound. I am not sure if that is the sound you are looking for.
    GK - tend to be more "modern" and mid heavy in sound, but are very popular, and are a great choice for the price. They have been described as growly.

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Mesa D800

/\/\3phist0 and mikeyjm2 like this.
  20. OP, (means original poster) if you filled out your profile fully we would all know in what area of the world you live. It’s useless us saying this amp or that amp if you can’t get them where you live. :)

Oh! and I forgot: Welcome to talkbass where men are men and sheep are nervous! Or is that Scotland?? :D