1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Missing out by not being able to read music?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dieps17, May 5, 2013.

1. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Consider, you're not in LA, too far North.
    You're not in San Francisco, too far South.
    You're in the state capital....
    LA got the Lizard King
    San Fran got Santana and the Dead
    You got legislators and lobbyists.....eeesh!;)

2. Doesn't that violate forum rules?? :spit:

3. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

LOL! I would have used a much stronger word that "eeesh", but TB is a rated-G family friendly forum, so I'll keep it clean. ;)

Btw, I grew up in LA. Thank goodness I escaped 24 years ago. And every time I go to Frisco, I can't wait to get out of there......it's even more jam packed than LA!

4. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    I didn't mention any particular political parties, so maybe I can skate by.....:bag:

5. Not your post, living near "legislators and lobbyists".:spit:

Isn't that a bannable offense?:ninja:

6. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    :D

7. Though it is on topic, since they hire people to read the laws they have written for them in a summarized fashion.:help:

So I guess you don't have to read if you want to be a "legislator or politician":spit: either.

8. Soonerbldr

Soonerbldr Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    You do have Cake though.... they aren't half bad! :bassist:

9. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Mike Lull,MXR,Gruv Gear, Mono
    To the "OP"

Consider this; being able to read is not be all / end all and doesnt' guarantee anything. It won't make you a better player. It doesn't make you smarter or even more well rounded. Shoot, I know people that can read the written word just fine but if common sense were gasoline they'd have a tough time put puttin through the inside of a cheerio. I'm sure you know some like that as well. Having said that, put two decent players in the same position for a gig that requires reading and one of those cats doesn't, the cat that can't lost a gig/networking opportunity etc. Being able to read just puts another feather in your cap.

Reading music is, for the most part, no different than reading the spoken word. We all learn how to speak first and then we learn written symbols that express what we do already.

Being able to read music allows us to quickly send and receive information. Imagine not being able to read a book or these posts. Sure, you could watch youtube, listen to records etc and that's totally cool probably even better but look at how much access you have to so much more information just because you can read.

There's my 2fiddy. :)

Peace and be well wherever you are!

10. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I've lived in LA (yech!) and San Francisco. BTW, locals don't call it "Frisco"; it's "The City." Cities are a maze, kind of like this chart and reading music:

11. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Yeah, I know, which is the reason I call it Frisco! hehe :D

My sentiment exactly!

12. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Sorry for hijacking the thread! Actually, I've spent some time in Sacramento and thought it was pretty enjoyable. LA and San Francisco are really fun to visit if you don't live there!

13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Since I don't know you I can't speak specifically to your case, but as someone else pointed out, playing poorly while reading is more often a case of not being able to read well, rather than reading itself being an issue. Playing with emotion has nothing to do with reading, theory or notes.

It's like the person who has been picking with their fingers for 10 years trying a pick and after 5 minutes saying that picks suck.

14. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    There's a little whacky, and long, analogy: One summer I took a course in college called "Shakespeare on film"...it was an online class that I thought would be easy. Bull...

It got interesting when I had to watch and analyze 5 different versions of "The Merchant of Venice". I can only remember Al Pacino's version. The man was simply riveting to me. All of them read the same exact lines. Nothing added, nothing taken away but everyone brought their own thing
    to it.

What's on the page is, for lack of a better term, "an idea". How that idea is played is up to the performer or the MD (in most pro reading situations). Being able to interpret styles comes from having different experiences and probably most importantly listening to different styles.

15. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Very true! The idea that readers are somehow less creative or engaged with the music is very narrow. Sure, someone just learning the language is going to be less musical than when they develop some proficiency and experience, but that's true about virtually any skill.

Reading music isn't simply about spitting out the notes on the page through your instrument - it's a 2-way system where the ability to write something down as well as interpret what is written has immense value!

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    As a guy who can read music, but not thoroughly enough or well enough to utilize it's advantages properly, I am going to say hell yes we are missing out. Is it necessary? Obviously not. Is it going to be helpful and convenient and make you ( or at least help you to become) a better musician? I think so.

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Total hijack here, but Pacino was BRILLIANT in that! I remember seeing a soliloquy on a show once, and I don't think I even breathed during it. Went out and bought the movie immediately.

18. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    Yo Pacman -
    Dude...I was glued, I mean the guy just friggin killed it. EVERY time I the conversation of reading comes up I think of that 'pound of flesh' speech.

19. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    I'm also reminded of how one might read, "Huckleberry Fin" today as opposed to how it may have been read aloud in the 19th century. Ok I'll stop.

20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

I just read that book again a few months ago. The regular one not one of the horrible edited copies.

Great book.