1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

modern equivalent of cool edit pro? (and not adobe audition pls)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by shwashwa, Jun 28, 2016.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    hi there. ive been using cool edit pro for years. im very accustomed to it and i love the ease at which you can edit waves. im looking for a modern equivalent because i think its time to update my xp based computer. specifically what i use the most is the multitrack for recording ideas. multi track for playing along with a pre recorded track. i love the looping feature where you just highlight the area and hit loop playback. various editing , cutting pasting etc. i love the ease of use of the stretch window. i slow down many things for transcription and looping for study. i love the pitch changer. i put things in different keys. im not interested in the adobe audition because of the stupid subscription. if i could buy it outright i would. ive used cubase a long time ago but i think i remember that some of these things were not so easy. i guess im looking more for an editor with some daw function than a daw with editing function.
    any ideas?

2. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    After some research it seems audacity might be what I need??

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Actually it seems that audacity is not what I need. When your recording multiple tracks. You have to go back in and line them up? What the hell is that? Any other suggestions?

4. LUpton

LUpton

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
  5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    thanks for the reply. i have reaper. not as easy to use as cool edit so i've never really explored too much but every time i do it takes too long for me to figure out how to use it. i was looking at mixcraft. any opinions on that one?

6. LUpton

LUpton

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    I haven't looked at Mixcraft, so I can't comment there. I've been using DAW software since the original 4 trk SAW program came out in the 90's, including Ensoniq PARIS, Samplitude, Cubase, Nuendo and Protools 7 - 9. They all have their strong points and weak points. I still have Samplitude, Nuendo and Protools, but Reaper is the program I use the most today. Is it perfect? No, but it suits my current needs better than any of the aforementioned programs. YMMV.

Any new program you use will be different from CEP, and will need some adaption time. You might just need to give Reaper a bit more time. It will do everything CEP does, and you can customise key & mouse commands to mimic CEP, if you desire. The Reaper forums are very helpful, as well.

Good luck with your choice.

Luke19Boarder and lakefx like this.
  7. I went from CEP to Audition to Samplitude Pro X2, but I still bought Reaper. Samplitude is more like CEP because it has a stereo editor, but it's probably a higher learning curve than Reaper. Reaper has great help and search, and is worth getting to know. I also have Vegas which is primarily for video, but also great for audio, and I found it pretty easy to learn. I've never liked Audacity.

8. mel0dic.bassist

mel0dic.bassist

Jul 9, 2014
    Canada
    I've been using Mixcraft for years, since version 2. It's know as the GarageBand of Windows.it only gets better and better with each version. The home version is $90, Pro Studio is $150. The Pro version comes with waaaaay more software plugins, effects and the like than the home, but apart from that, they're the same.

You can do everything you are asking for and then some with it.

Easy-to-use use, plug and play with any hardware interface/controller I've thrown at it, works with every VST/VSTi I've plugged into it. Comes with a tonne of great sounding effects and plugins. Cut/copy/paste/loop, etc with easy. Plug in, hit record. Just the way I like it.

Did I mention it's cheap?

9. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    does mixcraft have a stereo editor like cool edit pro?

10. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I still use cool edit as a 2-track editor. i haven't tried it on windows 10 but it does mostly work on windows 7 64-bit. auditioning plugins sometimes produces a crash. but just for the 2-track editing features it works like a champ.

11. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I am quite fond of NCH's WavePad Sound Editor.

It is not free, only for a trial period (30 days, as far as I remember) and then you have to pay a minor amount of money to register.

It is however a great tool for editing single sound files in all formats.

A lot of great effects included too, among others a text to speak synth with a nice amount of voices, and a fabulous time stretch tool.

Both of which I personally use a lot when composing music.

As main DAW though I use Reaper, even if I got Cubase 5 as well.

For single sound file editing it is WavePad Sound Editor.

12. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    We use Cubase it works great and with minimal issues. Comparable to ProTools which I was using before we switched our studio to Cubase

13. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    There are no programs like Cool Edit Pro. That was a very unique program for stereo editing. I used that in my recording infancy, and it made switching to other programs a nightmare as far as ease of use and editing.

All other DAWs can do what CEP can, and more, but none as easily and as forgiving. I currently run Cubase 9 Pro, and Sonar 8 Pro. Both are beasts, but editing waves is a more laborious process.

I don't remember if CEP uses midi data or not. If so, you can use another DAW to record, convert the files to midi starting at the first beat, then put the tracks in CEP for editing. Once finished, you can open back up in the other DAW and everything will be on time. PITA, but if you have to have CEP, there is no equal.

14. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Yes I am starting to see this. I use it more for audio than for Midi.

15. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    I would gladly pay for Adobe Audition outright if they didn't have that stupid subscription. Alas they are forcing me to learn another daw. And when I do I will likely stick with it

16. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    You might be able to run CEP in the "compatibility mode" they have been including in Windows Professional Edition since Win7. Have you looked into that?

17. Jay-Mac

Jay-Mac

May 4, 2019
    Did you ever find a solution? I too am hooked onto Cool Edit Pro, and I find programs like Cubase to not be user friendly. I like to do both single and multitrack recording. I'm curious if you solved this problem?

Also, Acid is pretty simple. I wonder if they kept up with Win10? Have you ever used Acid?

18. Jay-Mac

Jay-Mac

May 4, 2019
    I hope that there is an equivalent to Cool Edit Pro.

19. Jay-Mac

Jay-Mac

May 4, 2019

Oh darnit! I just downloaded Audacity. I guess I can uninstall it, if it has latency issues.