1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most annoying instrument (to your ears)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gustobassman, Jun 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    We are all here because we love music and bass obviously, but is there an instrument that just makes you cringe every time you hear one? I'm not talking about just having a disdain for an instrument because you couldn't play it well; I'm talking about fingers-on-the-chalkboard or break-your-finger-changing-the radio-station annoying. For me it is the recorder. There can't be a more annoying sound than a room full of recorders just piercing my eardrums with shards of painful squeals and high C's.

What instrument when you hear it (if any), just rubs you the wrong way? :)

2. The sitar incredibly annoying to me

bassbully, 10cc, WaynerBass and 8 others like this.
  3. Who wants to place bets on whether this thread is derailed by those who don't think rap is music (drum machines) or by those who don't think EDM is music (synth/button-based instruments)?

Edit: I'm taking the low hanging fruit of bagpipes.

Sartori, Linnin, joebar and 24 others like this.
  4. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    Banjo.

And as rtslinger said, the sitar is a usually a turnoff.

5. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Yep, banjo. I dig sitar, however.

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    vuvuzela

7. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Mandolins are ruined to me.
    Once we did a 2 band thing with an "old school" group that had a mandolin run through a Fishman amp that he'd managed to get elevated to ear level by setting it on top of a case & a guitarist's amp. No problem until the two bandleaders decided it would be great for both bands to play together on a few tunes. My ears were being pierced every time that guy hit a note and my earplugs were offstage(didn't need them with my band's stage volume).

Ever since then, mandolin reminds me of that event and annoys me.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  8. Cher - she's the most annoying thing I've ever heard. (Hmmm... but can she be classed as an instrument?)
    If not Cher, then violin. Played badly.

@Luke19Boarder: bagpipes are a f*cking man's instrument! Get it up ye! ;)

9. Fair enough ... they can work in some cases:

However, if I was at a local venue and an unknown band came on with a bagpipe player, I would be nervous for my ears.

Gabbs, Mike A, JohnDeereJack and 3 others like this.
  10. Bagpipes, recorder, accordion or anything with a really high pitch.

Guitars with way too many effects or that are overbearingly louder than everyone else.

Badly played sax (or any wind instrument).

Leiria, rickwebb and Matthew_84 like this.
  11. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    The Dropkick Murphys use it best, because it's mixed in with a lot of loud instruments, but to hear a solo player or group of them, it's like a cheese grater on my ears.

My housemate plays the amplified saw, and her band also has an accordian, along with bass and drums. They sound really amazing, but if that saw is too loud it sounds like an alley cat in heat outside your bedroom window at 3am.

Luke19Boarder likes this.
  12. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Bagpipes are easily the most grating instrument to the ears that was ever devised, aside from the vuvuzela:

I also agree that poorly played sax ranks up there as one of the worst. Sometimes even well played sax is annoyingly cheesy, particularly the latest trend to use sax loops in modern R&B and the reverb drenched sax of 80's Rock.

japhy4529, Leiria, BassAt33 and 4 others like this.
  13. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Calling bagpipes annoying is an understatement to me. It's the only instrument played at funerals that make the living wish they weren't.

sgtpepper, Gabbs, farshore and 10 others like this.
  14. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Bob Dylan/Neil Young-style harmonica.

I like when someone rocks hard on a harmonica and really jams, but I can't stand the guy singing, playing guitar, and having a harmonica strapped to his chest and he just breathes in and out of it.

Bob_Ross, Esoge, inthevelvet and 19 others like this.
  15. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Bagpipes.

Freez, osv and Sixgunn like this.
  16. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

One note doth not make an instrument, sorry!

tmw, Spectrum, Leiria and 5 others like this.
  17. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    This post lacks a quiz.

My vote: The human voice. Any instrument could be annoying, and most can also sound good when used well, but (almost) everyone has a mouth to try to sing with, and few do it passably :)

18. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Pedal steel:eek:

Illini10 likes this.
  19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Bagpipes, vuvuzela (although I always considered that more of a noisemaker, like a slide whistle, than an instrument).

Oboe or violin played poorly (think grade school band).

20. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    There was a guy who used to come to open-mics where I lived who would play the 'pipes. He was ok, but an "ok" bagpipe player really isn't that discernible from a bad one, and I'm pretty sure he was a sadist that just liked torturing people.

japhy4529, Freez, RED J and 5 others like this.