1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My completed rig! 55 knobs on the front.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snogaws, Dec 14, 2011.

1. snogaws

snogaws

Oct 25, 2008
    Chicago
    I just got my preamp back from the shop, so here's a picture of my completed rig.

Its contents are:

Furman power conditioner
    Korg DTR-1000 tuner
    Eden WP100B Navigator Preamp
    Meyer CP-10 Complementary Phase Parametric EQ
    QSC PLX 1602 power amp
    Eden D410XLT 4-ohm cab

Here's a pic.

34f0l00.

2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Looks to me like you've got room for more. Don't stop there! ;)

3. He who has the most knobs wins.

4. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    The only thing missing is someone to schlep it for you! Wow!

5. Impressive! You'll eventually ditch the EQ. And the Furman. And the tuner. And the rack. Trust me.....

Eric_Allard and GlassToMouth like this.
  6. snogaws

snogaws

Oct 25, 2008
    Chicago
    Yeah. that's for sure. The rack case weighs 96 pounds empty. I'm scared to even try to lift it now...

7. Inspired by Phil Lesh?

Owens W likes this.
  8. snogaws

snogaws

Oct 25, 2008
    Chicago
    I was waiting for someone to figure it out! Way to go!

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Very nice! I ran a Navigator and QSC power amp for years with good results. The big and heavy rack does get old though when you actually have to load it in and out of trucks, up stairs, etc. But it looks killer!

10. It is insane to me that anyone could need more EQ power than is provided by the eden navigator or any Eden head.
    I think its one of the most versatile in the industry.

11. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    I say- Go for it.

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Get one of these to play through it.

knobfest_controlsL.

13. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    +1. That's 51 more knobs than I need :)

14. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've been wanting to grab a Navigator for a long time now. Why do you have the extra parametric EQ with the Navi?

I'm not sure that my entire rig weighs that much. Lemme check. Nope, it does not. 94.5 lbs

Good luck with that! I had a shock mount rack once. It was miserable to lug around.

15. I ask this question on the Eden forum and I was kind of confused. Phil Lesh (for those who don't know use a similiar setup) has been quoted as saying that he perfers to "cut frequency" rather than "boost frequency" ranges. Using Eden and Meyers EQ together gives crazy EQ control. What confuses me is that some pictures of Phil's current rig is that he has the Eden Enhance knob full on, which I think cuts some mids and boosts some lows and highs. Most hardcore Eden heads believe a little goes a long way and will rarely push the Enhance, in fact some say that cranking the Enhance too much does more damage then good.

The Eden rep. on the Eden forum responded saying that he discussed this with Phil's tech and they have a difference of opinion on this subject. Apparently Phil boosts the cut frequencies back in with the Meyers EQ. Mike Gordon actually does the same them with his Eden setup.

There is whole lot of contradiction in all of this.

I was wondering how you were approaching your EQ setup?

In my original Nemsis 2x10 combo from the late '90s I use to crank the enhance knob. I eventually blew it up somehow after 6 years of hard use. Don't know what went wrong with it. The Eden forum wanted to lay blame on the fact that I was cranking the enhance, which caused me to push the amp more because the mids were gone and I wasn't cutting through. Probably some truth, but I really liked the sound. Now I play WT400 through an older Eden 410. This step up was a big chance. I had a whole lot more power and EQ control. I learned the hard way about EQing my rig. I played too many shows where I was boomin' and not cutting through. Now I tend to tend to set the EQ more or less Flat, maybe cutting some extreme highs and boosting upper mids and upper lows a little bit.

On a completely different note... Have you figured out why Phil has that digit BP-120 (I think) multi-effects pedal on his rack? he keeps it off the floor, and I haven't seen any evidence of any floor triggers. Does he use it for a touch of his rare overdrive sound?

16. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Here is the other extreme. My Navigator based separates rig.
    Navigator, IPR1600, $89 Pro-Tec 4 space rack bag. Less than 20 pounds total.

17. THUNDERGODX

THUNDERGODX

Mar 29, 2006
    I see room for a rackmount wireless receiver.
    Line 6 (XDR 95 and up)Recommended

18. Thats not that bad as far as weight goes. My head alone is 97 lbs...

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You've got to remember a few contextual things about this:
    1) The members of the Dead have done an astounding amount of drugs, over several decades.
    2) Phil obviously loves having more knobs than any reasonable person would ever want, for his own whimsical reasons that have nothing to do with logic, science, or practicality.
    3) He has had roadies for his entire career, so the concept of getting the most efficient functionality out of his rig has probably not crossed his mind even once.

There is absolutely no sense or logic to using that Meyer unit "in opposition to" the Enhance and EQ of the Eden pre, except in Phil's mind, and I guess for somebody in a Dead cover band who has to look 100% authentic.

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Only 55 knobs? Meh...;)

[​IMG]