1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My New Zero Tolerance Craigslist Attitude.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FingerDub, Mar 11, 2019.

1. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    We're just trying for 30 pages. Takes alot of filler to reach that.

xbud and FingerDub like this.
  2. FingerDub

FingerDub Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    None taken and Lord knows I'm not perfect, but I try. In this case I let my pride get the better of me and could have made a better decision.

There's been some impressive wisdom imparted in this thread, and I only pray that it will be in the forefront of my mind the next time I'm squeezed that way. I was proud, kind of in the way of good triumphing against evil. But I acted impulsively instead of taking a step back and thinking about it , and this is one of my character defects and crosses to bear. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks for your opinions.

ak56, catcauphonic, 40Hz and 4 others like this.
  3. SLIV

SLIV

Jul 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    Doing my part. It takes a village. : )

blue4 likes this.
  4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Feel free to stop at 25. I think that's fine :)

birminghambass and blue4 like this.
  5. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    The buyer was suffering cognitive dissonance because he realized while sitting in traffic that he agreed to a price, then had to pick it up too. So to avoid this from now on, the new rule is: If the buyer is going to haggle or not otherwise commit to purchase, then the buyer travels to the seller. If the buyer agrees to the price and commits to the purchase, then the seller must travel to deliver to the buyer.

This is a general rule so there’s still room for an exchange of expletives if the parties so desire.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 7:08 PM
    tb4sbp likes this.
  6. xbud

xbud

Nov 9, 2012
    Southwestern, PA
    I've come to the conclusion that this post will help put us to 26 pages......Oh....and he who travels to purchase, shall not haggle till the merch has been inspected to be as described.....Then knock it for having a sticker, or scratches that are unseen by the naked eye......

Cliff Colton likes this.
  7. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    Here’s the recap: The buyer was gassing for a bass listed for $600 firm by the seller. The buyer sought a discount which was rejected by the seller because as the seller explained, the listing price was intended to be $650 but mistakenly listed for $600. Thus there would be no further discount and the bass price was $600 firm. The buyer agreed to pay $600 for the bass.
    The buyer further agreed to pick up the bass at the the seller’s location. While sitting in traffic for the approximately one hour drive, the buyer ruminated about the seller’s purported “mistake” regarding the price listing, and then realized he may have fallen for the oldest trick in the book, i.e., he believed what the seller told him was true and as a result he failed to negotiate.
    The buyer felt mortified, humiliated, and embarrassed, and his suffering was compounded by the traffic and unsatisfied g.a.s. So he violated the law which prohibits texting while driving, and sent a text message to the seller seeking to re-open negotiations with a HAHA postscript intended to hide his self loathing and lack of sophistication.
    Meanwhile, the seller is waiting and thinking maybe he shouldn’t have sold the bass for less than $650 because if he wants to buy another one he’s going to have to pay $650, and his came with a nice roadrunner gig bag. Then he gets the fateful text filled with self serving excuses, idle threats, and bad faith haha’s. Profanity is exchanged and someone’s mother is mentioned.
    Ultimately, the seller re-sells the bass for $650 and the buyer has $600 in his pocket to g.a.s. for something else. To me, this seems like it was a fun adventure and I don’t see a problem here.

8. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    The real fault here lies with CraigsList and if one more CL person sells me a bass with a stripped truss rod nut I’m going to file a complaint.

tradernick and xbud like this.

9. "The tit-for-tat inability of either side to back away from conflict, for fear of being perceived as weak or as cooperating with the enemy, has been the source of many conflicts throughout history."

More importantly,

[​IMG]

petrus61, neckdive and catcauphonic like this.
  10. trickyric

trickyric

May 21, 2017
    South Florida
    I'm thinking if the buyer had responded with a "C'mon man, I had to try" that he would have sold it to him at the already discounted prices.
    The response of MF'er.....gonna get the door slammed every time

11. trickyric

trickyric

May 21, 2017
    South Florida
    the buyer threatened to turn around and terminate the deal. The OP told him he should do so.
    I don't see where the OP was wrong.
    Then the buyer came back with "MFer".... not an "I'm sorry, can we still do the original deal?"
    At what point is the OP supposed to have done something wrong?
    I would have totally shot back a "turn around then" to the guy that is trying to extort me by threatening to terminate an already agreed upon deal too.

FingerDub and MordBass like this.
  12. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Doesn’t matter. I’m just going to change my mind and back out at the last minute anyway ;).

neckdive and blue4 like this.
  13. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    You sound like my tinder dates. :roflmao: