1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My New Zero Tolerance Craigslist Attitude.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FingerDub, Mar 11, 2019.

1. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Mostly while waiting for software to load and install, and later waiting for the metrics of some stress tests to come back on a two servers I’m helping a friend with.

IT work alternates between periods of intense and highly focused activity and stretches of “hurry up and wait.” I did all the typing during the waiting times.

I also used to do some business consulting and training on the side for small businesses and startups. So a lot of the business things I talk about here are business things I used to help my clients with. So some of it just kinda writes itself for me after all these years.

I’m technically retired from the biz. But you wouldn’t know it from the last two days.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    MordBass likes this.
  2. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    You seem happy you stuck him with that 2+ hour trip. It just rubs me the wrong way. I'm fine with telling the dude to get bent but it would have taken a lot more than 2 texts for me to lose my cool over 50 bucks. Especially since you knew it was a good long drive and he had the cash.

3. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Excellent hidden message there! :thumbsup:

Comparing that post to the OP's post #1, it reiterates what I have observed over the past 62 years regarding humans: we can greatly influence how others interact with us by how we choose to interact with them. I realize it doesn't *ALWAYS* work, but nearly always, when someone speaks nicely and respectfully to someone else, that someone else will speak nicely and respectfully to them. And when someone speaks unfriendly or disrespectful to someone else, that someone else will do the same. So, in a way, we actually can greatly influence how others treat us by how we choose to treat them. It's very powerful! And some humans, at some point in their life, learn this powerful trick, and some never do.

I retired recently as a civil engineer. When I was working, I was the manager of over 100 people for many years. It's amazing what I learned about human behavior from that experience. One of the things I learned was, those who figured out and implemented the above-mentioned trick were much more successful than those who didn't.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Anti-tort heathen Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    do you have zero tolerance for 30 page threads?

petrus61 likes this.
  5. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    You obviously didn't want to sell it to bad. You contributed to your own bad experience.

bolophonic likes this.
  6. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    Let’s move on to the next problem. You have to sell the bass because you won’t enjoy it anymore, and you have to get more than $600 because that’s the amount you turned away. Maybe you can print out this thread and include it as case candy.

$750 Firm.
    No spammers. Please do not contact me with unsolicited services.

7. jnsnj

jnsnj

Sep 5, 2015
    NJ
    I disagree. If I can sell something for more money sooner I'd take it every time. There is no guaranty that the first person will show up, not try to reduce the price further, or just plain waist my time. I wouldn't hesitate or think twice about it.

8. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Wait,
    He tried to get an additional 50 bucks off and you said No.
    He then stated forget what I said I’m almost there and will pay you the price you quoted.
    You responded with the verbal terms of the agreement.

Then you said forget the deal.

Then he responded with the profanity.
    In which you responded in Kind.

If I’m missing something please tell. Seems like you weren’t in the right on that one.
    IMHO.

bolophonic likes this.
  9. jnsnj

jnsnj

Sep 5, 2015
    NJ
    I hate shipping items. There have been many times the post office has told me the prepaid shipping is no good because I said it weighed x pounds when it really weighs x pounds and one ounce. Plus finding the right size box and packaging it. Then hoping it doesn't get damaged during shipping, stolen off their doorstep, or the buyer makes some bogus claim through ebay. I had a guy leave me a negative review on ebay once because the beat up pair of pick ups I sold him for $5 didn't have the foam padding. He said I should have been up front about the lack of the foam that goes under the pick ups. It had photos of what he was buying and I posted them as being for parts only. People are just crazy.

10. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    If you really wanna go, just email the help desk. You could probably arrange something.

11. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    If I was a betting man, and there was some way to verify it, I'd bet $20 the buyer tried the same exact trick on the next guy with a bass for sale. With the same "haha" and everything. Maybe from now on he just goes with the agreed on price, but I doubt it.

@FingerDub you've learned a couple things. 1. Don't lose your cool. 2. If you do, don't post it on TB. Lot of high horses in the stables here.:)

MordBass, MynameisMe and FingerDub like this.
  12. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    The word "firm".

Works well every time I sell anything on Craigslist. I state it in my ad and remind the buyer that the price is firm before we meet up.

13. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    You might have missed the part where the buyer went home so it doesn’t matter what they said because the buyer never showed up.

14. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    If you look back at some of the TB threads from the 1890’s, you’d see that TB’ers from that era often challenged buyers to a duel over something like this. So I think the seller acted relatively civil here with a simple ‘expletive you’ that resolved the matter in its entirety without the drama.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 1:13 AM
  15. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Ahh me too, man. Free setups for life, and the staff doesn't work on commission! (If you went on to post they sold for you my beloved Spector Forte-X #016, I might have asked to buy you dinner :smug:)

Aside from some exceptions to the first sentence I agree with your assessment 100%.

My bass brother, I appreciate that some people have no problem speaking their mind even if it sometimes makes me cringe now and again.

Occasionally dealing with annoying people is a fact of life for all of us. You were never "threatened" by his aborting the deal as he had already come a long way with the 6bills.

Him- "Haha traffic sux, can I get another discount?" You- "no sorry I can't go any lower on this item = 30 seconds of him wasting your time.

But by you being a hothead here, and REALLY sticking it to him by wasting 2 hours of his time plus gas, to me is where this whole thing really got unnecessarily escalated. IMO your punishment didn't fit his crime. (BTW, I'm someone who does not enjoy that game and never haggles.)

I doubt he's even thinking about the error of his ways and vowing to never lowball anyone again. Probably more along the lines of ways he can pay that a$$hole back.

Cynical people screwing others before they screw you or one upping bad behavior in an effort to 'win' and teach a lesson is tragically becoming an art form these days, and certainly not making the world a better place to make friends and connections in. I don't believe in burning bridges, even with a stranger I haven't yet met who doesn't even live in my town.

I'm not trying to disparage your character, simply offering my thoughts based on what I've read here (all of it!) Also it made me wonder when @40Hz first mentioned that it could have been the out you were looking for to cover your original $50 mistake without even realizing you were doing it. The human brain is tricky!

Peace

ak56, LBS-bass, Cashu and 5 others like this.
  16. Here’s the thing. People who want a deal, actually want to pay you. People who show up, want to buy. You blew a sale, which was entirely your call to make. Sometimes you pick a hill to die on. Whatever works for you.
    I’m ten percent flexible sometimes. I’m firm other times. I’m never impolite. This has worked for me (for years I sold 100k a month of pro audio gear at decent margin).
    In some cultures the seller can raise his price during negotiations. In some cultures asking for a discount is standard. In others it’s not done.
    But recognizing behavior, and understanding how people buy things, is a skill that can help you in life. I hope others learn from this.

bassinflorida, J_Bass and bolophonic like this.
  17. MynameisMe

MynameisMe

Dec 31, 2018
    North Florida
    I have yet to see flats, p bass or the search function come up in this thread. Untypical TalkBass...

MordBass, J_Bass and JPaulGeddy like this.
  18. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    No need to go for a reach on this one. So you would agree that this incident was handled in the best possible manner?

Let's take a moment to think about this...its Craigslist. The trust factor is often thin; people want something for nothing; and your relying on the good word of the seller and the buyer. There is no receipt or customer backing of you get screwed and deals can get dangerous really quick. I've seen guns present on two of my encounters.

Yes, how one holds themselves and behaves is a critical factor. This ain't Ebay - nothing is guaranteed good or bad. High fiving this behavior will lead to bad results. A little kindness goes a long ways.

19. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    Well, not a bad way to spend the day when your couch bound I guess. :)
    Hope you're better today and someone with enough jam calls for your bass soon.

20. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    You sound like a real joy to do business with.

Selling something doesn't have to involve a bunch of drama. "Price is firm" would have done just fine in your situation.