NBD (New Bass... Disappeared?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGeekJack, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    I ordered a pretty rare Ampeg cabinet from guitar center a couple years ago (SVT808) and the tracking said it was supposed to be delivered the next day (UPS). Well it never showed up, and this went on for a few days. Customer service for UPS literally just read off the same tracking info I had already. I know a couple people that work for UPS, so they were able to check in their system to see where it was, found out that it was actually about 6 hours from me and had been damaged beyond repair (so they say, I never saw the pictures). Also, somehow they could no longer find the package? I was told by the manager at the GC that I ordered this from that it was probably taken to another GC in that area, but didn’t know which one. I called all 4 or 5 in the area that it would have been in and no one knew what I was talking about. So I called the original manager back and told him this and said that he might as well refund me because UPS had already told both of us that it wasn’t getting delivered. He said he couldn’t do that because “they don’t know where the package is and it might still get delivered”. I ended up having to call my credit card company and have them reverse the charges as goods that were paid for but never received.

That was my worst shipping experience, although GC played a big part in making it worse.

BassGeekJack likes this.
  2. I hope they're not playing it!

BassGeekJack likes this.
  3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I sold a Mesa Subway amp here on TB, shipped it FedEx, and experienced exactly what you described. Tracking had it arriving at the destination FedEx center, and it just vanished...

BassGeekJack likes this.
  4. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I had FedEx lose a custom for a few weeks last year. They finally found it in their warehouse - the labels had all fallen/been torn off of the packaging. Stay on them. Something that large and expensive doesn't just go missing.

BassGeekJack likes this.
  5. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    The suggestion that the label came off is very possible. I usually write with sharpie right on the box itself the tracking number. Learned this from the agents at a distribution center I worked at. If they have the number no problem. Without it requires a laborious search of databases across the country, etc. They're never anxious to do that. They might find your package in 3 hours (if lucky) but it might take them a week to begin searching.

BassGeekJack likes this.
  6. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    I had a reverb pedal get lost in the mail, seller sent a replacement, 2 weeks after the replacement showed up the original one came in the mail. It might still pop up.

BassGeekJack likes this.
  7. Wow, this has got to very unnerving. Yes I have, but nothing on this magnitude and definitely not a one of a kind situation. Eventually both showed up sometime after the replacement arrived. That said, for the most part, also being a resident of the greater Richmond area, I’ve had very good results having things shipped to me.

I hope it shows up soon. I also hope it arrives in the condition it was when it shipped.

BassGeekJack likes this.
  8. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Good luck, I hope it works out. I am hopeful for you!

BassGeekJack and nbsipics like this.
  9. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    IMO USPS is no longer an acceptable method of shipping anything of even moderate value.

KaraQ, BassGeekJack and Reedt2000 like this.
  10. Ruknrole

Ruknrole Professional Amateur Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2018
    If the last tracked location is local to you, you may want to drive to that post office facility and inquire in person. I did that once and got my package. For some reason it had been misrouted and was just sitting at that facility.

Unfortunately that may mean they stopped searching for it, but hopefully not.

Murphy's law. I personally would never ship an instrument through USPS. I'm really hoping your package gets delivered.

BassGeekJack and Reedt2000 like this.
  11. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Never underestimate the incompetence of the federal government.

P. Aaron, BassGeekJack and MynameisMe like this.
  12. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    This has been true for a year. At this point it's on the shipper if they pay extra to require a signature, because no service is requiring them (except the trucking company that delivered me a generator last summer)

BassGeekJack and 40Hz like this.
  13. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Did you say Richmond? No doubt it's stuck at the infamous Sandston Distribution Center...
    https://www.wtvr.com/news/problem-s...acility-4th-in-the-country-in-late-deliveries

BassGeekJack likes this.
  14. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    This happened to me a few weeks ago. I ordered a part for my dishwasher and I got the same answer. They shipped out a new one and they both arrived on the same day. There is hope.

BassGeekJack likes this.
  15. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010

I had an MTD 535 go missing in the world of FedEx back in October. Still no bass to be found. But I was refunded 100% including shipping from FedEx. But would have preferred the bass back. I have strong feelings it was jacked by the delivery guy.

BassGeekJack and dkelley like this.
  16. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I know he's not in your area, but maybe @postalflunkie could provide advice?

postalflunkie likes this.
  17. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    Irretrievably lost = stolen.
    I was expecting a package via USPS lat year, tracking showed it stalled at a facility for two weeks. I contacted the seller who started an inquiry and it showed up a week later. Shipping is always risky but I think USPS is probably the worst of the big 3 .

BassGeekJack likes this.
  18. anightintunisia

anightintunisia Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I had an open back banjo completely disappear in shipping last year during the shut down. Long story short, had a bunch of regional managers looking into it, and three weeks after it was officially missing it randomly showed up and no one could explain what happened. It’ll show up! Give it a couple weeks...

BassGeekJack likes this.
  19. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I'll have Jeannie turn your Postmaster into a chimpanzee if you want. :laugh:

Seriously, hope it shows up soon; meantime, premature Congratulations & Compliments, for that is a fine-looking bass there. :bassist:

BassGeekJack, Solarmist and nbsipics like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021