1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD (New Bass... Disappeared?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGeekJack, Mar 11, 2021.

1. So I spent the last couple months driving around the tri-state area going to shops to try out a bunch of basses that aren't normally available in larger retail stores. I fell in love with an MTD 535 but decided I'd try to find one cheaper online. As luck would have it, I found one! It looks like this:

MTD535.jpg
    The Reverb seller was incredibly nice and prompt with his shipping. Fast forward to now, the priority mail package is now over week late. I am pulling my hair out because when I requested USPS do an investigation for the "in-transit" package (it's been in-transit for 7 days) they replied saying the parcel is "irretrievably lost." Well ****. It is my understanding that packages can lose their labels in shipment and then be virtually unidentifiable within the sea of packages that float around distribution centers. Otherwise they fell off the truck or something (my nightmare). The worst part is that it's right here in Richmond, where I live (if I am to trust the online tracking– though I think Dominos has better tracking than USPS).

Has anyone ever had an item that was "irretrievably lost" in the mail? I am not losing hope. I don't know if they are actively looking for it or not... I have more research to do, calls to make. I am so disappointed in the US mail since I've never had an issue with them, and now that that I've literally spent the most money I've ever spent on one item, that item is lost.

Okay, rant over :facepalm:

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Wish I knew how to help. Short of demanding to probe every regional USPS warehouse. They must have its last tracked/scanned location.

3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I wouldn't sweat it just yet. I've had several packages recently that should have taken no more than 2 - 3 days take nearly 2 weeks. I've also had packages show up at my door recently with tracking detail that didn't show as even having left the initial drop off location. Who knows.

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I’ve had a couple small items lost. Hang in there. A week isn’t that bad. I bought a pedal off a TBer recently that took over 2 weeks. Not his fault, it was shipped 2-day. USPS is slow and their tracking is not very good.

5. Thanks, that's comforting to hear. I was pretty quick to ask them to look for it, but again, it's because I've never spent so much on something being shipped to me, let alone anything at all :D (possibly terrible judgement on my part, but I didn't break the bank or anything at least).

6. I bought my Eden WT800 off Reverb from some store in Washington DC and had my money refunded the very same morning the beat to crap package with half a label and just the amp inside with no packing material around it was left on the driveway. The amp was unharmed physically and worked perfectly when fired up. No one wanted the money back...

That was 48 days after the amp left the store and it was still listed as lost in transit after it was delivered, so... it happens

7. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    That stinks, but I've heard the experiences already relayed here repeatedly from a ton of people recently so I'd also advise patience too (not that you shouldn't keep calling and trying to locate it). Have you communicated with the seller? If not, I would, and reverb too. I'm pretty sure you're protected if it is declared missing. I think it's the seller's responsibility while in transit. Do you know if the seller shipped through reverb? If so the cost would mean it has their shipping protection automatically. Here's what they say about reporting a lost package:

My Package is Delayed/Lost, What Should I Do Next?

You should be OK no matter what (though it will suck not to get that killer MTD!)

dkelley and BassGeekJack like this.
  8. Thanks. Indeed, it is insured, so I'm not too worried about losing all of what I spent, should the bass never be found. I haven't told the seller yet, that's my next step.

nbsipics, dkelley and Reedt2000 like this.
  9. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    USPS is way behind and has been since before the holidays. Most retailers are listing a 2 week wait via usps. I have never seen something say it was lost like you have. But if that’s the case and it truly is lost then the seller would have no choice but to provide a full refund to you. Reverb will force that issue and the seller would have no choice.

who ships with usps in the states anyways? Something of this value and size. Seller better pray he had it insured cause usps shipping is an epic fail on their part

10. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    UPS lost my Warwick Thumb 5NT while it was out for delivery in my small sleepy town. Vanished into thin air between the hours of 7am and 10am. Cops did nothing, UPS did nothing.

Fortunately I wasn’t the seller, I am sure the situation was far worse for him. Poop like this sucks but life goes on.

BassGeekJack and dkelley like this.
  11. I'm hoping they said it was lost because of some oversight on their part and it's really just sitting somewhere. I've usually used USPS for shipping gear and it's always worked out so far... but then again, I haven't for a couple years, and I'm aware they've kind of been falling apart recently. What do you usually use? UPS? FedEx?

I hope for the seller's sake, it arrives. I'll have to wait a couple more days before making a claim with Reverb.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  12. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hope it comes soon!!

please keep us informed!

GlennRH and BassGeekJack like this.
  13. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Ive had that irretrievably lost event happen to me, only to be found and eventually make it.

Most likely it’s sitting in a distribution center.

Could of had its label damaged etc.

The label becomes the item. No label , no item.

Doesn’t hurt when shipping to write a to address etc... on the box

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    "irretrievably lost."

It's easier to give you this canned response than to actually do any real investigation. The first-line CS people are using the same tracking info available to you. Don't worry, it will show up.

Riis

15. I had a package that was “in transit” for a month with USPS. I opened an investigation and they eventually found it. But it most likely sat at one of their main distribution sites (Merrifield, Va for me) for most of that time because they were backed up.
    I actually visited the Merrifield USPS facility on a work-related survey about a month before that, and they were seriously running a “Skeleton Crew”.

BassGeekJack likes this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

All the package delivery services are swamped right now. Give it a little more time.

I had something just show up at my door recently where USPS said (for two weeks straight) that the shipping label had been generated, but the package “hadn’t been received” by the USPS yet - so no tracking info was available.

I also had something small and expensive delivered by Fedex a few weeks ago. It was clearly marked “signature required.” And it was just dumped on my front porch.

I asked a driver about it next time I saw one. He said (this is a direct quote): “Yeah. We’re not doing signatures right now if it’s a residential address.”

Uh…ok, I guess. Hope they refunded the extra service fee they charge for requiring a signature to the shipper without being asked. (Yeah right.)

And don’t get me started on UPS. Nearly every box I’ve received from them over the last year has arrived either partially crushed, gouged, or missing a corner. Luckily none of the contents have been damaged so far. But receiving boxes in the condition UPS has left me doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in their service.

So it’s not just the USPS.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  17. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Bummer for sure but there is still hope.
    The only close call that I ever had in selling/trading involved a Talkbass trade with a TB'er that was ... well lets just say "less than honerable" in the end. He's since been banned, but to the USPS side of the story. He was in Fairbanks Alaska and I was in Georgia. We worked a trade. My Skjold for his Zon. I payed almost $200 shipping my Skjold to Alaska, fully insured. He received it in 4 days. He shipped his Zon to me via USPS parcel ground, NO insurance, $26.00 shipping! Of course I didn't find this out until after he had shipped!
    I won't provide all of the drama that occurred during the 3+ weeks that followed but after just over 3 weeks, with no updates other than "in transit" in the USPS system, the package tracking stated "Arrived at facility" in Atlanta GA! Up until then I had pretty much lost hope. Before the day was up though I was able to pick it up at my local post office and it arrived in perfect condition. Which was a Miracle considering how it was packaged (and in the Zon Access gig bag).

So don't lose hope yet.:)

18. filwitheneff

filwitheneff

Feb 22, 2008
    SEMO
    Just this past year, I ordered a fretless neck from a reputable online dealer (I've ordered many things from them in the past with no issues). While "in-transit", I received a notification from USPS that my package was "damaged in transit". When I inquired as to the damage, I was told that the package was just an empty box! It must have been torn open; otherwise, how would they know it was empty? I've ordered necks from this company before, and they are double-boxed and well taped. I find it hard to believe it was an accident (but then again, I wasn't there, so who knows).

I filed a claim, and eventually got a replacement (but that took 2 months!). USPS has seriously gone downhill.

BassGeekJack and MynameisMe like this.
  19. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    In November I bought a pair of Seymour Duncans from a TB member and it took a month via USPS to get from IN to CA.

Indiana Mike and BassGeekJack like this.
  20. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My lost mail was a USPS money order I sent in payment for a speaker cabinet. It took a month to get a refund after they investigated and decided it was lost. Weird thing was on the way back from the post office with the refund I checked the mailbox and inside was my lost money order in it's crumpled and torn envelope. I guess they found it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021