1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need a 4x10..cant choose!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jarrydee, Dec 8, 2011.

1. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I am now in need of an affordable 4x10, I have spent many hours reading reviews of different cabs and am more confused now than I was when I started!Im not looking for you guys to do the work for me, just want you opinion! As a lot of you know, I can not afford to buy this thing out right, I have to use the payment plan at American musical, so even used is out of the question! hear are a few I have been thinking about, but I am open to any cabs you think will be good, I play in a cover band, classic rock :bag:, using an Ashdown mag 300 head...I do not want another ashdown cab! hear are the ones I been looking at but have no clue what is better then the other! Thank you very much for your input!!!!

SWR WorkingPro 4x10 Bass Guitar Amplifier Cabinet at AmericanMusical.com

Peavey Headliner 410 Bass Guitar Amplifier Cabinet at AmericanMusical.com

Hartke 410XL Bass Guitar Amplifier Cabinet at AmericanMusical.com

TC Electronic BC410 Bass Guitar Amplifier Cabinet at AmericanMusical.com

Ampeg B410HLF Bass Guitar Amplifier Cabinet at AmericanMusical.com

2. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    I've tried the SWR workingman and prefered the SWR Goliath II over it... If you want to go SWR I'll suggest you to get the Goliath instead if you have the money... they sound pretty clear with nice highs...

I own an Ampeg B410HLF since 2003, and I really like it, I'm still using it and added a classic 610HLF later... I like the ampeg tone and i'm sold to that... again I'll suggest you to try the classic series 410HLF if you have the money... again it may worth the extra bucks... lol

I've never tried the other cab but between the 2 I tried or have had I would go Ampeg...

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The Ampeg (on your list) is a good price for that cab. It’s heavy though and the sound is thick! The aluminum cone Hartke is a completely different cab (tonally). More mid-focused tone with less thunder than the Ampeg. This might suit you however.
    The Peavey Headliner is new, haven’t heard that one. I would look at the Carvin BR410, which comes in either 4 or 8 ohms and is on sale for 300 bucks (steal). It’s a solid cab. They have payment plans and if you get their credit card, no interest for 3 months. No tax either.
    The TC cab looks sharp but I haven’t heard that one.

4. The Peavey Headliner cabs haven't been getting too much love I don't think, I seem to remember seeing some serious issues pop up in a few threads (don't quote me!)

I've always liked SWR 410s, if you're not opposed to used and can find one in your area, the Goliaths are starting to fetch less cash then they used to!

5. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I would go for Hartke :) 4.5xl is one of the best cabs; 4x10 + 5 gives you a really nice and clear sound, also you can get really nice lows out of it (it has range down to 30Hz)
    Really flexible, one of the best for rock. But it has one big problem; it's really heavy xD

But if you go for something else, go for Ampeg, reliable and really good for rock :)

6. I have the SWR 410 and I am happy with the tone response and general output level. One downside is it's weight, hard to lug particularly after a three set gig midsummer.
    I have recently upgraded my rig to TCelectronics RH750 and 2xRS212 cabs. I am now unashamedly a TCelectronics fan given that the total TC experience has been nothing short of brilliant. Without even trying the TC cab I would recommend it given my experience with their other products.

Slawie

7. wonderjosh

wonderjosh

Nov 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Buy used. :)

8. Peavey TVX used!

9. gearheadz2112

gearheadz2112

Nov 28, 2011
    I play through the Ampeg 410hlf and it's a beast. I picked mine up for about 350 used. If you could find a similar deal I'd go for it.

10. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Thanks for all the input everyone....I have a lot to think about...I do plan on buying a new head after the cab is payed off, so I want something that will be able to play nice with any head!

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

This... IMO, those cabs are all pretty mediocre - but for the same money, you can get a really good quality used cab, if you shop around...

- georgestrings

12. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Im running my Mag300 through a SWR Workingmans 410T, It sounds pretty good to me but I havent compared it to any others.

13. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    how is the bottom end with that cab? I am playing classic rock. most gigs will be in a 120 person bar, but have a new years gig at a hall!

14. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    I played a show that was backlined with a swr workingpro 400 head and 410 cabinet. I was really suprised how good it sounded. have liked it to be a 4ohm version of the cab because the 8ohm cab didn't allow enough volume.

15. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
  16. Of the list, I'd go with either the Ampeg or SWR. Maybe the TC Elec... I haven't tried that one. Personally I did NOT like the Hartke, but YMMV.

Where's the GK Neo 410? Best bang for the buck, IMO.

17. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    That does look like a cool amp and cab combo. (the TC stuff) You really need to stop by a GC or some other place and try it to see if you like the tone though. You are spending money and will want to be happy with whatever you end up with.

18. I've only owned/used the SWR and Hartke cabs, and I prefer the SWR's.
    The SWR Goliath is considered by many to be the 'Gold Standard' 4x10. It's been around the longest, IRRC. I have two, as well as a Golight, and have yet to be disappointed by any of them. The Workingman's version uses cheaper speakers with less power handling. If you could swing it, I think you'd be happier in the long run, if you could save for a Goliath, or, for a few dollars more, a Golight. The cost is nearly the same, it's a little more than half the weight of a Goliath, and to me they sound the same. The Golight gets all my gigs these days.
    My 2 cents.

19. +1

I really liked mine (except for the weight). In fact, I chose it hands down over the Ampeg 410 HLF.
    Though, if you must use the payment plan, you would have to go with the Goliath IV or GoLite.
    The SWR Workingpro uses a lower quality driver, and I have no real experience with them.