1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

neoX212 vs dual neoX112's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fretlessboy, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I am asked this question a lot and will ty to answer it in print the best that I can. The tonal qualities of the 212 is stellar for a real clean transparent solid sound. The bottom end is there but not over bearing but I find it is a better cabinet for very loud applications. I think you really have push it to make the lowend open up. I love this cabinet for applications where you know you will be very loud but want to retain a clear crisp tone. At lower volumes meaning up to medium loud is where in my humble opinion the dual 112's really shine. When playing at low to medium/loud volume settings this combination appears to be thicker sounding and more massive in tone than the 212. At high volumes the dual 112's kicks butt but you may have to actually remove a touch of lowend to keep them from getting to lowendy when really pushing them. I will state it here, the dual neoX112's is the best 215 cabinet I have ever used. Standing about 4 inches taller than the 212 it sounds to me to be thicker sounding. I am not saying it has a bigger bottom but the thickness of tone is definately noticeable. I like a thick bass sound and the thickness is not just in the bottom... it seams to carry through the whole bass range. Where this tone comes from is beyond me... is it low mids? Is it actually lowend? I don't really know but I know it is thick and solid solid sounding. The neoX212 and dual neoX112's are 2 different animals indeed. Both are amazing so you can't go wrong either way. Also for those of you using a single neoX112, when you run 2 vs 1 you don't get double, you morelike %230 because of the way these cabinets couple. Now these comparisons are based off the the 1200 or 6.0 set flat without changing any eq.

Which combination is right for you? I don't know. Which combination is right for me? Both because each one has it's own merrits for the given task at hand.

The above review was my personal finding for my basses and the way I play. Your results may very but these are my findings. I hope it helps in some way.

IMG_0017.

img_0004.

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal

Thanks Dennis! I've been struggling with this issue lately. That clears it up for me! :bassist::D

3. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    glad I could help.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Thanks from me too. I was about to jump on a 212, but then a few comments you and others had made earlier about the 112 made me think a 2x112 stack was what I'd want. How do you feel about the amount of power or headroom when using the 6.0 to drive the 2x112 stack?

5. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    since they sound bigger I don't tend to push them as hard as the 212

6. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Well, all it tells me is I gotta buy another 112..... LOL!!!
    ... any excuse is better than none.

7. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    well...maybe

8. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Friday night 3/14 at Demoneco's in Folcroft Pa I will run the dual 112's with the Big Package. That will be the maiden voyage of these cabinets with this band. I know the 6.0 will kick this band...now time to see if the cabinets will.

9. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    Ok, THAT show i can make! lol.:hyper::hyper:

10. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    cool... I may even give you the choice of rig I use... lol

11. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    I am gonna use the dual 112's with the Package tonight. Just deciding what to power it with. I am leaning towards the 6.0 but I am pondering the 1200... mmmmm what to do

12. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Seems like the 6.0 is a perfect match for the dual 112's and would be that much easier to move.

13. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    SHOW OFF!!!!!!!:)
    ITS A TUFF LIFE:crying: lol

TAKE BOTH,lol

14. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    the 6.0 is a perfect head for most things. I wasn't a huge fan of it powering the Uber410 because that cabinet is the perfect match to the 1200 in everyway. I am sorry but the difference of 40 pounds in components can be heard. However, with a 212 or dual neoX112's the 6.0 is an amazingly serious contender. I don't know what I would do with out it. Ok, I'll use the 6.0 tonight because I haven't run this combination with the Package yet.

15. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    lol...somwtimes it's hard to do the right thing. There is a part of me that really is trying to find the short comings in the Genz line. Now gratned I have not been successful in finding it...well except for the line on the knobs thing.

16. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Not having dual speakon connections on the cabs is my only complaint.

I look forward to hearing about this gig. I wonder if I'll get a phone call tonight? :D

17. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    If I see him going for him going for his phone on stage, I'll know why :p:D

18. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Last time he called me from a gig, he had walked off stage, outside, and was still playing along with the band and smoking a cig at the same time. It was kind of funny.

19. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    I'll let you call him, I'll be busy I think...lol

20. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Really? Crazy. I thought he had just called you in between his sets at the open mic he hosts, while another bassist was sitting in with his rig. Having a cig, talking on the phone. and playing bass? Woah ...

Cheers