New Avatar Crossovers!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jpoprock, Jun 29, 2005.

1. jpoprock

Jun 7, 2005
    Kokomo, IN

Just got mine in my 210NEO. Dave said that it was cool that I post pictures and announce it to the group. Basically, he told me that it really bothered him that everyone was complaining about the old crossover, so he wanted to provide a better product. You talk, he listens! Would Eden do that?

Anyway, he found this new crossover that was much better and made good sense from a business standpoint. The old one was I think 103db, and this new one is right at 100 or less I think he said. More info will follow I'm sure, because I don't have the geek specs. So basically, this new crossover isn't nearly as loud and handles things much better.

Dave has a new 212NEO coming out as you know, and because of manufacturing setbacks from Eminence, he is receiving an upfront limited quanity from his original order. These new 212NEO's will be shipping in limited quanity by the end of June (any day now) to those on the waiting list. I can't wait to get that puppy! Then I'll have a 210NEO and a 212NE0 combined @4ohms... all getting juice from my Thunderfunk 420.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that any NEW cab ordered from Avatar will come with the new crossover. If not, he'll send you the new one to install yerself (it's cake). And I beleive he will offer this new crossover to existing customers at a discounted price.

This really impresses me. Companies like this are really rare I think.

Not to mention the new crossover is great!!!!

Thanks Dave!
  2. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Gary (from here at TB) just shipped out my crossover for my B212, so I'll just end up using that, but its nice to know that for my future purchases, that a better crossover comes included.
  3. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I, too, am on the waiting list for a new B212 Neo cab. This is most welcome news as I was thinking I'd have to make some aftermarket alterations to the crossover.

I just sent Dave a note asking for an update on when he anticipates receiving the 12" Neo's. I'll let you know what I hear.
  4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Well that's good and bad news. Great that he's got new X-overs but I have 3 of his cabs with the older one :bawl: Guess I may consider getting the new one, but the reality is that I have my cabs tweeters set at 1, so I'm not sure that it's worth it to me. I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to cabs and bass sound. I'm not a fan of tweeters on bass cabs...
  5. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Can't wait for the Neo 212! That's great! Dave is a super guy, and I stand behind him and his company 100%. I hope to get the new Xover for my existing 212, I'll have to call this weekend...

Thumbs up, Dave, on your responsiveness to product development and customer needs. And thanks for staying in touch with the players. So often, a mega-corp will put out a product and hype it just to make a buck, and when a review comes out criticizing the product they will either cancel it or ignore the complaints rather than put in a few hours either fixing the design or sourcing a new part. Nice to know we're being heard, and our wants/needs are actually considered. Thanks, not only from me, but on behalf of a bunch of us here on TB (I know I'm not alone on this one!).
  6. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I am confused. A crossover isn't 'loud' as far as I am aware. A crossover has various specs associated with it that are relevant, mainly the slope and frequency of the various filters.
  7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    And to think, I was immeasurably excited about my impending order and status on the "weight" list for 2x10" and 2x12" Neo-equipped cabs before this announcement...

Just goes to show you that sometimes the hype can be right. :D
  8. I might be totally wrong but I think that a passive crossover by nature attenuates the signal. I also believe that the greater the slope the more attenuation.
  9. daveAvatar

Feb 12, 2003

THANKS for noticing the new input/crossover on our Avatar bass cabs. After to listening to you wonderful guys here on, we improved our input panel by including a full 12 db crossover( cap and coil ) for the top of the bass section and a full 12 db for the bottom of the tweeter. In addition, we padded down the tweeter section 3 db so the tweeter is more closely matched to the output of the bass speakers. The tweeter will now reproduce less amp hiss , handle more power with the steeper slope, be less bright and the tweeter volume control will sound more natural in the center position rather than having it turned way down. Also, with the very top end filtered out of the bass speakers, the overall tone will be more balanced and slightly less middy. I thank everyone at talkbass for their informative comments...which is how we know when to make positive changes...THANKS the way , if any AVATAR owner wants a new input panel with full 12 dB crossover for their older Avatar cab, we can do an accomodation sale for you...just please email me at for details... THANKS dave Avatar
  10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Check it out:
    Dave, once again proving that Avatar is a great company to deal with.

I'm in for a new crossover, email coming your way Dave.

Kudos to Dave and Avatar!

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

As a guy who has been dealing with Dave for years now, I can truly say that Dave is DA Man!
  12. jpoprock

Jun 7, 2005
    Kokomo, IN
    And from a guy who doesn't know SQUAT.. I shouldn't have said anything about db's, etc. I was waaay off. HA! Perhaps I should edit my post? lol. I knew something was down about 3db. I might have been thinking of the cab itself!

13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I just sent an e-mail...
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    This is great. It shows that Dave is listening to his target audience and taking steps to improve his product and remain cost conscious. It's no surprise that he's done this, when you see how much it's been talked about around here.

If I were him, I'd offer 'upgrade kits' for purchase for past customers.

Cheers to Dave and Avatar.
  15. i just emailed him to ask something like this...
  16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you look above, he mentions it...I just didn't catch it the first time around...
  17. jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    WOW!! How very cool!! I remember that big ol' thread about upgrading crossovers for Avatar cabs!!! I made two for my two Avatars'!!! This is really quite impressive, though! More power to Avatar!!!
  18. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    ...for all of you awaiting your cabs with the new 12" Neo's - Dave from Avatar reports that Eminence said they would be shipping to Avatar on July 5. Avatar should get them about a week later, then turn their pre-orders around in a day or two.

It's getting closer, my friends....I can't wait.
  19. Guess the wait was worth it for my B212Neo if I don't need to upgrade the crossover anymore...I CAN'T WAIT :hyper:
  20. I love my 212 and I'l love it even more when I get the x-over upgrade!!!! Keep up the great work DAVE!!!!