1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Mic with the H-Clamp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Monte, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    So, after years of happily using my AKG C3000, I decided to experiment, and since the compact PR-40 isn't scheduled anytime soon, I bought an EV Cardinal cardiod mic. Very reasonable; $109 from Hairy Harry's Music. I often use the AKG on piano (awesome piano mic) and wanted something a little lighter for the H-Clamp.

So, hooked it up through my Bose PA with 1 sub and played around with it today. VERY impressed, lots of punch and volume before feedback. I had the best sounds with the Beyer M88 setting and the Neumann KM105. It reminds me an awful lot of the EV RE20 but with less bass proximity effect. Can't wait to use it on the gig next week to see how it performs in the real world.

Back to back with the AKG C3000, it does very well. The unique shape allows it to close mic very nicely. I am having to use a right angle XLR to position it the way I like (Pics below). Not really lightweight, but no droop with the H-clamp, and lighter than the C3000.

2831057015_56520b6229.
    2831890728_d9fe4efe7d.
    2831890554_9c5d65c247.

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Can't see the pics right now, but I'm familiar with the C3000. Great all-around mic for.. well everything. I've been eyeing a Senn MD421, or an EV RE20. I might have to look at this one..

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Yeah, I just fixed the photo link.

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    That's pretty cool. Almost like space-age look to it or something. Wild. Any idea how much it weighs? I searched around a bit but couldn't find the specs for the weight.

Definitely update us after your gigs next week like you said please.

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Actually, with the cherry wood grain and silver, it looks really retro to me. I love the double swivel points....one by the end and one on the mic. Really gives a lot of positioning possibilities.

No idea on the weight. I couldn't find anything either, and I don't have a scale. The metal mount is heavier than the mic part. The whole thing is significantly lighter than the C3000, which is not really that heavy anyway.

Definitely will post more after my gig next Friday. It will be mic only. My gig on the 18th will be the most telling....it is the place that mics the drums and everything ungodly loud for jazz. If it stands up to that volume, monitors, and right next to a loud drummer, we may have a sleeper.

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Yeah, that's what I meant I think. Like retro in a 60's space age sense. Looking forward to hearing how it fares. Thanks for sharing.

7. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Looks like it weighs 391g (13.79oz).

The $109.00 price seems quite a deal; other prices seem to range from $139-200.

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Incredible service too. The guy I dealt with was one of the best, if not THE best, online buying experience I've ever had.

Realized that I gave him a bad shipping address and he tracked it down and fixed it with no problem.

9. Hi Monte,
    So you switched from a hypercardiod to a cardioid? I would be very interested to hear whether you will encounter any difficulties with feedback, compared to the hypercardioid AKG.

Cheers,
    Vincent

10. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Yeah, I don't think the difference in patterns will make any difference when I am this close mic'd. Mic on a stand would probably be a different story.

11. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    So, got a call yesterday to play a patio gig at Fusion 205 in Tupelo. The vocalist got together a good drummer, pianist, and me outdoors.

She asked me to bring my Bose PAS system for the PA, so I ran the mic into that on the Neumann setting. The owner usually has rock bands, and likes it loud since it is outdoors. Likes to pull in people from the street. Kept telling us to turn up.

My bass was obnoxiously loud. The 2 subs were shaking the little wooden stage. It was a really good sound. Not quite as refined as the C3000, but REALLY good. Best part...I was inches away from the ride cymbal on the cramped stage. No feedback, no noticable bleed.

How can a mic this cheap be this good?

12. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    the guys from Hairy Harry's Music wont ship outside the USA, anyone wants to order one for me and ship it to Switzerland? i can send you payment in advance using paypal and of course all pay all shipping expenses and paypal fees, if anyone could do that , please p.m.
    thanks in advance

Nuno

13. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
  14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Any chance of some sound clips? I'm getting tired of waiting for the stubby, and I like the design of the mount on this. The lack of hypercardiod pattern worries me a little, though.

15. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    you can try it here, i think they will ship to switzerland:
    http://www.thomann.de/de/ev_blue_cardinal.htm

16. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    yes, thanks, i checked it out, but the price is 250$. more than the double, anyway, i just found a nice TBer who will send me the mike to Switzerland, thank you all

Nuno

17. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    sorry, i did not think about the price difference. maybe i should buy one too :cool:

18. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    I asked about this one, but the frequency range is not as low as the cardinal, and supposedly has pronounced proximity effect when close mic'd.

19. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Sure. What kind of sound clip will help? I can bring it out to my gig next Friday and record with my Edirol so you can an idea of the sound the audience would hear with a group. I don't really have any recording equipment to show just bass alone with the mic other than the Edirol, and frankly if I do that in my house you will get so much acoustic sound I don't think you would be able to tell anything.

20. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    By the way, I got one of these so I can fit the mic under the strings easily.

I probably didn't emphasize it enough, but you really NEED a right angle XLR female plug if you position it like I do under the strings because of where the male jack is on the mic.

I had one for my Schertler, but I like how the Planet waves allows you to make the cord go up or down. I had to watch the other cable to make sure it wouldn't hit the bridge.