1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD: Mooer Radar

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nunovsky, Dec 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bassgroover

bassgroover

Oct 6, 2008
    This is exactly how I use it, and it's perfect.
    That way I can use my amp and TKS 112 on stage, and get the Radar to the FOH and inear.

Nunovsky likes this.
  2. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Picked one up. So far I've only used it on guitar with my 005 Brown Sound into headphones, but it is fantastic.

Nunovsky likes this.
  3. blujosh

blujosh

Dec 8, 2009
    San Fran
    has anyone been using their Radar as an all-in-one clean preamp+cab sim?
    it seems like it would be possible just using the eq (parametric or graphic b) as your preamp section and then using the power amp and cab sim options. if so, it i would think that the Radar w/ a VT Bass DI in front of it dialed in for dirt (w/ cab sim) off would be a perfect small footprint two-channel direct solution that includes both power amp cab sim.

bonus question: can anyone that owns one list what the different power amp options are? i didn't see that listed in the manual.

4. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    6L6, 6V6, EL34, EL84

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Was digging it till I saw it only runs on 12v, and I have a a strict 9v policy. Bummer.

Zbysek and Nunovsky like this.
  6. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    It brings its own power supply.

BrentSimons and JimmyM like this.
  7. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    ^ this reads funny but totally makes sense.

JimmyM likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh I can do 12v, but between 12v and 300 mA current draw, my battery powered board will end up lasting a lot shorter.

Nunovsky likes this.
  9. Vic Winters

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Someone on the gear page emailed Mooer and apparently it works at 9v but it takes a hit in head room and dynamics. I have not tried or verified this personally.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well I'm sure it's a very nice pedal, but it's not for me.

11. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Works fine at 9V with no noticeable difference. Those who don't try it based on that need to take their blinkers off!

JimmyM likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well to be honest I'm set, but that's good to know.

13. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Just ordered one. I'm looking forward to it

14. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    So I dunno if this has been mentioned before, but the five band graphic EQ has movable eq points. It's a swept graphic, or "semi-parametric". You can choose that, or if you need truly surgical eq, there is a four band fully parametric eq. That's in addition to the HPF/LPF sections, power amp, cab, and mic modelling. I haven't dug too deep yet, but this little thing is killer.

15. Just stumbled on this and it sure sounds interesting as I have been considering a HPF LPF of some kind. Since this does a bunch of other stuff too it seems like a bargain. Though I'd probably only use it for the HPF/LPF.

Nunovsky likes this.
  16. Hmmm... this is pretty interesting, both the Radar and the Nux...

BrentSimons and Nunovsky like this.
  17. Hm...only on guitar, but the nux sounded so so much better!

18. I love the features on the Radar, very comprehensive EQ, HPF and LPF... but I really like the NUx in that all the important controls are there in front of you, no scrolling through menus etc. Since you can load 3rd party IRs into either of them... the Nux looks like a winner for my liking (I don't enjoy scrolling through menus andclicking here and there... I'm a knob kind of guy ;) )

Thing is... I just bought the Mooer. It seemed just the thing I was missing for home recording and the price was good (105 GBP). But after checking it out for a few hours I came across the Nux... and now I've ordered one too (at around 175 GBP).
    The Nux allows to create your own IRs too. I have access to a decent recording studio, so I could probably go in with my Barefaced Two10s and use some of their mics to create my own IRs, and see how that goes.

Mr. voodoobass likes this.
  19. Yes, i’ve been eyeing the radar for some time with all its features. But if it still sounds muffled compared to the competition... and the nux with actual knobs sure for me is more appealing.

20. It's true, the presets sound generally a bit muffled to me too, but with the EQ capabilities it has, you can make it sound a lot more 'airy' with relatively minor tweaks. I have only played with it a little bit, but it was very promising on guitar. ON bass... I need to work on it more, as it's all too bassy and far from the tight lows and punchy low mids I like... but I'm positive I can improve it a lot with the multiband semiparametric EQ + HPF.

However... actual knobs and not reading into a tiny screen make the Nux more appealing to me too.