Official Barefaced Bass Cab Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stumbo, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    In my search for a more powerful amp I came across the new Markbass Little AG 1000, putting out 600[email protected] Not much louder than the GK 700RB (320[email protected]), but it has more clean headroom and stronger low end.
    A short review of the head you can find here: Markbass Little AG 1000 opinions/experiences?
    Problem solved? Not really.
    Although the output of the BB2 is really impressive, especially in the register below 100Hz, I don't feel as confident as with the Ampeg 215 which seems to put out more volume in a narrower bandwith and seems to have more 'physical presence'
    Bottom line: As others have stated before I would recommend 2 Barefaced 112s or 1 212 for loud bands.
    Not sure though if I will get a Super Midget or try something different and go with a Six10...

Ronky likes this.
  2. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    Have you tried elevating the cab? Getting a driver closer to ear level can help a lot.

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Yes, and a HPF too. It works, and I will see if I can live with that before I order extra cabs. But to be honest, I don't just want 'to live with it', I want to be happy with it ;)

4. xav_paris

xav_paris Gold Supporting Member

May 9, 2003
    FRANCE, near PARIS
    Personally, with a MESA D800 , with deep switch on and a good PB’62 , plus the BB2 there is no drummer dominating me…and my drummer is one of kind , if you see what I mean…

and an effectrode compressor pc-2a

gstaats and Matthias like this.
  5. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Another thought point. You can't expect to have the FRFR design of the BB2 to sound like an ampeg 215. Also, if that single 12 is on the ground, forget about you being able to feel it. From my experience another BB2 stacked will get you in a place more consisten to the output of the 215, but be clearer and have better dispersion for sure :)

Also adding a cab sim pedal to the barefaced and/or another preamp such as a darkglass harmonic booster will brighten that cab up big time!! I find any of my bass cabs straight through my amp to sound much more sterile vs when I stack what I mentioned above to the circuit.

xav_paris and Matthias like this.
  6. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    I've built my pedalboard around frfr tone. I've been using shure 1540 cans for practice mostly (when the kiddos are in bed) and landed on good (to me) frfr tone by using a different dirt pedals, filters and a good preamp. This runs direct for foh and to a poweramp for my rig. Waiting on the bb3 cabs now. Sounds great with studio cans, should sound great through the bb3s...

7. Ronky

Ronky

Jan 12, 2020
    El Centro CA USA
    I agree with your bottom line. I would say unless you really need to have 2 1x12's, it's best to go for the 2x12 for the cost savings. Spend that extra money on a nice baffle color or cloth grill and cab cover ;)

Chris Y, scallster and Matthias like this.
  8. RobertAuCoin

RobertAuCoin

Jul 25, 2020
    I can fit two BB3's (2 x 112) in my car, but there isn't room for one of the BT3 cabs (212).

Matthias likes this.
  9. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    I went with two bb3s for the modular approach. Costs more, but, worth it. I'll be able to bring my entire rig in one trip running a single cab. (Bass backpack case, cab pedalboard and the power amp. ) may not be able to do that with a bt3. The stacked bb3s are also taller - should be able to hear them better.

As a bonus, I ordered my bb3s with the top hat option. I can pole mount them for light duty pa duty.

Matthias, Ronky and RobertAuCoin like this.
  10. Ronky

Ronky

Jan 12, 2020
    El Centro CA USA
    I actually already do this with my Supertwin. Bass, backpack, pedalboard bag, and roll the Supertwin, which can also be carried easily at 38lbs. Should easily be able to do this with BT3 since it also has wheels, weighs 46-49lbs so not too heavy.

5StringPocket, Matthias and Stingray5 like this.
  11. RobertAuCoin

RobertAuCoin

Jul 25, 2020
    Interesting. What is this option, of which you speak?

Ronky likes this.
  12. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    The one10, sm and bb cabs can have a poll mount from the factory --> TopHat

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  13. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    Mmmm.. love that comp!!!

xav_paris likes this.
  14. Stingray5

Stingray5 Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    Same here, except at ~6' tall the Supertwin is just a little short for me and uncomfortable to pull behind - I have to either bend awkwardly or it hits my heels.

To address this I ordered this from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FDTWZ22?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I just attach it to the existing top handle and it works perfectly as an extension. It even feeds easily thru the OEM cover so no need to ever remove it.

15. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Yes, the difference is clearly audible, even with just one BB2!

xav_paris likes this.
  16. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    For sure. In the rehearsal room I jam in, there's an Ampeg 810. It's a friggin mud box compared to when I have brought 1 of my Berg HDN212's. Only issue is I was rattling the homeowners drainage pipes with a single 212, LOL!

xav_paris likes this.
  17. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Exactly that! We have a 2002 (or so) 810 in our rehearsal room, plain terrible. And the 215, which is surprisingly bright and responsive - I like it very much (as long as I don't have to move it). But the BB2 clearly wins.

xav_paris likes this.
  18. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    The stock 15" drivers ampeg uses for many of their svt series cabs sound great. I forget the part number, but they've used them since the 90s. Good mids and definitely brighter than many 15" drivers. Heavy though, and, limited power handing. I think 200 watts per driver.

xav_paris and Matthias like this.
  19. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Yes, 400 watts in total!

gstaats likes this.
  20. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    Shipping notification rx'd for my two BB3 cabs! Looks like they are using DHL for stateside shipping. ETA of Monday the 8th.

RVBASS, SteveBassJr and gtirard like this.