Official Barefaced Bass Cab Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stumbo, Mar 29, 2012.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

Greetings. I have been feeling a lack of low in my Super Compact lately. I think it's actually low mids that I want (not looking to reproduce 30hz or anything -- more oomph and thump if that makes sense). At first I thought it was my amp, so I tried a different amp and achieved pretty similar results (my amp is an Orange TB500, I tried a Quilter 202 straight in, and in FRFR mode with a Line 6 modeller in front of it). Then I tried a different cab: a 1x15 with a 5" midrange -- lots more low mids. And together they sound huge but very bright. Am I just getting more implied low end from the 15" being on the floor and the Super Compact up closer to my ears? Or could there be something wrong with it? Or is this just the "mid forward sound" everyone talks about and somehow I'm just noticing now after a few years of using it? TIA!

2. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    Anything else change? Bass? Strings or the room(s) you're playing in?

3. JES

JES Supporting Member

None of the above. Same practice space, same location, same pedal sequence, etc. I am playing an instrument (touch guitar) that puts out less low end than a standard bass, but it's been a couple years now. Sounds fine at home.

4. Lowfader

Lowfader

Jul 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Solid body or semi acoustic touch guitar? The Quilter 202 doesn’t seem to be enough power for this cab. Have you tried turning up the low mids?

5. JES

JES Supporting Member

202 is plenty of power. My main amp is an Orange TB500 which is shatteringly loud. I was just using the TB202 for a reality check.

Solid body. I also have a bass I run through it, so it's been checked on multiple instruments.

6. That's certainly a possibility. If you're placing the SC higher than you used to, I think what you're noticing may be the higher mids that were always there but you didn't hear enough of due to cab placement.
    I don't think a cab suddenly change its ability to reproduce a section of the spectrum just like that.

JES and Stingray5 like this.
  7. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    A few days ago I used my SC with an Aguilar AG700 and PJ5. No lack of low end, low mids or any other frequency.

IMO your 15 will be a big influence. The SC is more neutral and likely to be just reproducing the sound of your bass and amp.

If you've been happy with your sound for a few years, has anything in your signal chain changed?

8. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    Play by play..
    Cab cleared customs... it's in my state... but dhl doesn't do weekend deliveries. Hopefully Monday.

Screenshot_20220805-100625_Chrome.jpg

JES likes this.
  9. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    w00t... Out for delivery

Screenshot_20220808-091659_Chrome.jpg

5StringPocket and dave64o like this.
  10. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    Got 'em... Won't be able to push them until Friday in our practice space... :)

20220808_173001.jpg

11. Chris Y

Chris Y

Feb 2, 2019
    Darwin NT
    Awesome, just remember they will take a few hours to loosen up before they start to show their true potential.
    I’ve done about 20 hrs at band volume on my new Super Twin and the difference between new and now is quite noticeable, they really do warm up with use.

chris_b, RudyTardy and gstaats like this.
  12. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    Here is a pic of the "top hat" option, just for reference.

20220809_221726.jpg 20220809_221720.jpg

13. RobertAuCoin

RobertAuCoin

Jul 25, 2020
    Very nice. Does anyone happen to know whether the “top hat” option can be retrofitted on a BB3?

14. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    That would be an alex question. I wouldn't be surprised if there is additional bracing inside as the enclosures are pretty thin. I haven't popped a driver out of one to peak inside yet. :) He did say it had to be ordered at the time purchase. Depending on bracing, it could be a super easy aftermarket mod. Have you had the chance to look inside one of your cabs yet?

15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    If you're willing to do the woodwork then you could (the base panel needs reinforcing) but it wouldn't be something we'd get involved in or provide support for. And it's not something we'd do retrospectively because it's a lot more time consuming to do well after the cab has been built, than for us to machine the cab to fit a top-hat and build it with one (we run a different file on the CNC machine at the start of the production process).

16. gstaats

gstaats

Mar 22, 2019
    Initial testing completed with a car audio track. Cell phone to an xls-2502 amp (stereo, 440w per channel into 8 ohms). They sound incredible. Regular music sounds awesome. Not harsh at all like cheap cabs with a tweeter. Very soft at the top, not tinny or harsh.

Running bass directly into the 2502, they sound like running direct in my daw to a good set of cans. Should have my pedalboard done shortly to give them the "as intended" use. Worth the almost 18 week wait.

The low end isn't over the top as some have reported. It is what I would expect from an frfr enclosure. I have a 30hz hpf enabled on the power amp and additional filters on my board. Part of tuning one's sound with an frfr rig should include an hpf and lpf of sorts, b or, a cabsim.

rhythmwiz likes this.
  17. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    hey all. I'm looking for a used Big Baby 2 if anyone has one theyre interested in letting go of. thanks!

gstaats likes this.
  18. I have a mint bb2 in Los Angeles.

J.Wolf and lildrgn like this.
  19. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    just tried to pm you but for some reason I can't seem to send you one.

20. Played a pretty small pub gig last night, took my old Compact & ran a Terror Bass into it (so 250w at 8ohm). The support band borrowed the entire rig, and had the volume maybe at half way - while they were soundchecking, our drummer commented 'oh, they decided to DI the bass then?'. Nope, all cab.

Most gigs we've had in recent years have had robust PA support, so it was nice to just go through the Compact. Forget just how loud it can get, even after well over a decade of owning it.

NNNN, mmbass21 and Dave W like this.