Official TUNE Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tvrtko, Jan 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. The only issues I have with mine is I moved the strap pins. I don’t like their location or the way it hangs with the native locations.

woodyng2 likes this.
  2. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    No offense taken, Fellow Oregonian Kirk.
    I’ve owned quite a few various makes built in Korea. And it looks like I now have another one. ;)
    (Serial # is a long one starting with an S).
    So, apologies to Kodiakblair, as well. The Tune website is proving to not be too reliable.
    They actually show the replacement parts for sale, but when you try to link them,
    the website goes nowhere.:crying:

RodRy likes this.
  3. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Was wondering about that. I’m away from home, so I won’t have mine on a strap until tomorrow.
    Would you post a pic of yours with the new pin locations?

4. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Anyone have any info or a link for serial number dating?
    Mine starts with an S followed by 9 digits.

5. If you browse the parent group website they're easy enough to find, it's unfortunate the parent group supplies factories so the minimum order is high.

Here's the link for the knobs.

Tune Bass Knobs

I suggest asking Nate at VSN Guitars if he has any NOS left.

RodRy and woodyng2 like this.
  6. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Thanks! Will look into it!

7. Aussie Guy

Aussie Guy

Mar 15, 2019
    Do they still manufacture Tune basses?

RodRy likes this.
  8. I think Tune basses are still made in both Japan and Korea. They really are two different companies. The long version of the story of the two original owners and their split is somewhere in the Tune group thread. If you keep an eye on eBay you can occasionally see some pretty astounding custom Tune basses. I’m not sure which country they are from but there are a number of different body shapes.
    For example:
    How about these two 8 string basses! Wow!
    6A833FE9-1915-4BF5-91B5-2FBFF76F7353.jpeg E70685FF-88DB-4EC3-982D-7CD193E39702.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    TCaetano, RodRy and woodyng2 like this.
  9. IIRC There is info on dating earlier in this thread. I may look for it as time allows.

EDIT; This is quoted from another members post
    “ every korean made tune has a serial number.
    S03########means it was made in 2003 this is what i know.”

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    woodyng2 likes this.
  10. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Love that first one!
    The 2nd one gives me nightmares. :laugh:

11. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Thanks again, Kirk!
    So, it looks like my bass was made in Korea in 2005.

12. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Took the Tune to band rehearsal yesterday. I am in a gtr/bass/drums pop/rock trio.
    Had to rethink my usual preamp and tone settings. Normally i play passive basses and ALWAYS use a tech 21 VT pedal, but the Tune piezo didn’t really sound good with it. I got a better sound going direct into the Markbass, and adjusting the tone controls. I still had to completely roll off the treble and midrange controls on the bass. Surprised that The Labella white/copper tapewounds were so clacky sounding. I know that’s kind of a feature of piezos. Wondering if a set of soft flatwounds might be smoother sounding?
    I’m also going to try to delve into adjusting the trim pots, as the output was super hot.
    I loved that the bass is very light and extremely comfortable. Our rehearsals are generally 2-3 hours,
    there was no shoulder fatigue or hand cramping at all.

RodRy likes this.
  13. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    They worked fine for me yesterday, the bass was well balanced at several different heights.

14. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Finally had a few minutes to check out/adjust the trim pots.
    In addition to the individual saddle volumes,there are 2 other pots accessible through the rear panel.
    Every one of these was in the highest setting. Adjusting them took the harshness and clackiness out,
    and seemed to reduce the overall strength of the signal. (A good thing, as it is very hot).
    I will experiment some more with the individual volumes later to see what works with my playing style.
    I suspect I’ll likely turn the E string down a tad.
    The tapes sound really nice on there now, which is great, ‘cause I really like ‘em!
    02CBF4A1-8739-4634-B623-83B9A9CE7C0D.jpeg B0EFDF02-7454-4984-A277-CB7C98832E8E.jpeg

kodiakblair and RodRy like this.
  15. Glad your figuring it all out and happy the strap locations work for you. I’m not a piezo guy but IIRC piezo picksups work better with a buffer.
    here’s an example
    Piezo Buffer

RodRy and woodyng2 like this.
  16. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I’ve owned a couple of more simple piezo equipped basses before, and share your trepidation.
    I was intrigued by the design of this one, as well as all the onboard preamp adjustability it offered.
    I’m going to open it up today and take some photos. (8 screws to take off the back plate,
    just to change out batteries isn’t the best design, so hopefully the batteries last a while).
    I read that buffer pedal link you posted,(thanks:)), and it says it is not needed for a piezo that has multiple tone controls.

RodRy likes this.
  17. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Wow....this is insane. o_O
    So, in addition to the 6 trim pots that are adjustable through the rear access panel, there’s 3 more in the main part of the circuit board. And of course, nothing is labelled-I’m not planning on touching those.
    C219BB6B-C346-4B36-A959-6452C476618B.jpeg 60727E2C-0C53-4A99-B5B1-43914452E27F.jpeg C19E934F-4299-4A16-81BD-FF183B8D8678.jpeg

18. markwrob likes this.
  19. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    You, Sir, are a gentleman, and a scholar! :bassist:
    Thanks very much!
    Since there is only 1 pickup on my bass, i think i will leave both those gain adjust pots alone.
    The notch filter may prove to be a useful thing.

20. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    :roflmao::roflmao::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::roflmao::thumbsup::roflmao:Here’s mine! MIK
    But I have question. How does one find out if it’s made of solid wood or Ash as the website doesn’t have my color for the bass there? IdEK what model mine is Lol! Not that it makes a difference:thumbsup:
    D849A695-F91C-47B9-873E-DBBC51DDAA7C.jpeg

BTW got her yesterday and still trying to figure out some of the nuances. The 3 positions dip switches anyone know how they work? I’ve fiddle around with mine as the as the gain was all the way up and then the 3 dips. I like it!! A lot! But would like to know more. As the Tune folks do supply manuals.:cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Stephan Matthys and RodRy like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021