1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Zon Club Part 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hey y’all! Got a quick question: I’m looking at a couple of used Zon basses with graphite/composite necks, and am curious about their care: is it necessary to do anything to keep the composite necks in good condition? Just wondering if the necks or fretboards are subject to any kind of chemical or liquid (okay, alcohol) damage.

2. tom5string

tom5string

Jul 14, 2006
    Hamburg/Bremen
    Hi Kevan,

for years I am playing two Zon basses that I had the opportunity to by at a more than fair price. One Sonus was built in 1996, the second in 2001. Both without trussrod and 5 string.
    Never ever did I do anything to maintain the necks - except for cleaning the dirt off the fingerboards. There is no wear, the necks are stable, durable as rock. Once the string height was adjusted to my personal playing style I never touched the bridge again. I once needed to update the intonation when I changed the string brand - sems to be normal.

So: go for it, these two are by far my most versatile instruments I own :)

Tom

3. Kevan Campbell

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks so much Tom! When cleaning the fretboards, do you clean them the same as one would any other bass?

4. ZonBass18

ZonBass18

Jan 1, 2014
    Joe Zon told me just a little WD-40 on a rag

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    How does Bob Gallien feel about this? :roflmao:

6. tom5string

tom5string

Jul 14, 2006
    Hamburg/Bremen
    Hi, yes absolutely the same just a bit of water and clean cloth. And - of course - no oil which I sometimes use for wooden fingerboards.

Kevan Campbell likes this.
  7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Joe told me to sparingly use WD-40 on a clean cotton cloth, just a drop, and wipe down the fingerboard with that.

Kevan Campbell likes this.
  8. Kevan Campbell

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thank you guys much! The basses I’m looking at have the truss rod in the necks, are they any harder to set up and adjust than a wood neck bass?

9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    yes/no.

yes, at least in some cases, because you have to remove the neck to adjust it.

no, in that, unlike wood, once you set it, you don't have to re-set it unless you change strings such that tension changes significantly. You don't have to worry about seasons/climate, etc..

10. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Particularly thrilled with my VB5 as a bass to travel with. It fits in overhead compartments above other bags.

TolerancEJ and kesslari like this.
  11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'd love a VB5 fretless as a travel bass...

12. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    At one point I wanted to have a bass I could say that about. Black body, ebony neck, black hardware, black strings. Never got there, but the journey was fun.

andrew, Fuzzbass and TolerancEJ like this.
  13. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    In your earlier post, you mentioned changing this bass to an 8-string and using the Da Vinci tuners. How would they work with bass strings, or would you just use them for the octave strings?

14. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    There is a Zon Club! Well here is a 1995 Sonus I recently purchased. Previously owned by Jason Newsted, he is selling off some basses through a local music shop. From the looks of it, he may have played around with it for a week then put it back in the case where it sat all these years. Not one bit of wear on it and plays like butter! Talk about low action with no fret buzz! Incredible! Going to be a great bass for those outdoor gigs (and indoor) here in Florida!

zon_01. zon_02.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Forwarding an update/review from a former TBer:
    --------------------------------------------------------

November 7, 2019 was new bass day for me! I received a Zon Bass that I had bought last year, exactly 12 1/2 months to the day.

I am completely blown away with the quality, feel and tone! It's a 4 string legacy elite, but tuned BEAD and weighs a little over 9 pounds. The bass was upgraded to an anniversary edition and also has the vintage Zon logo, which is very rare.

I am extremely thankful that I received this bass after a long wait. The bass is really just perfection, and I can't say anything more than that! It even has a hidden truss rod cover at the end of the fingerboard! :)

IMO Zon basses are the ultimate bass because they combine the best elements of a graphite neck and a wood neck into a single instrument!

Peace!

Dave (formerly Maiden Bass)

1maidenbass3. 1maidenbass2. 1maidenbass1.

--------------------------------
    The Tech 21 pedal is the new SH-1 Steve Harris model, as one would expect from his TB handle.

HeavyJazz, Jeff Scott and andrew like this.
  16. Fuzzbass

Addendum: Dave is still waiting for another custom Zon he ordered in July 2017. Also, there's a lot more to the story on the black one above, but the bottom line is that Dave is thrilled with it so I'll let his review stand.

bigsnack and andrew like this.
  17. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Wow that is a beautiful Zon, I'm still waiting for my 2nd Legacy Elite 6 myself, but what's the story regarding the black Legacy Elite 4?

18. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    The last time we tried to unpack such a story it ended badly. Let’s not repeat the mistake.

CH Design and kesslari like this.
  19. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Oh so if this story behind this black Zon has something to do with the BS with the person with this bass then never mind, I know exactly what the story is, I just thought it had something to do with the bass itself spec wise that's all, not trying to bring up any bad situations or anything.

20. Fuzzbass

PM sent