1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Zon Club Part 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    Perhaps he is building in reverse order of receiving deposits. I’m 4 years out.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Still a drop in the bucket comparatively. :D Hopefully yours also is finished soon.

3. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Hi guys!

looking for a lead on a used Zon Fretless, Sonus series, prefer with half-lines and the satin finish neck. Any ideas?

checked out the ‘usual suspects’ online with no luck.

4 or 5 string, no 6’s. After that not too particular.

thanks!

4. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    4 years out, seriously!!!! Have you talked to Martin or anybody on updates or what the heck is going on, did you pay for this bass in full already, did you go through a dealer or direct through Zon?
    Sorry for all the questions but something isn't right here!!!!

Jeff Scott and Fuzzbass like this.
  5. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    There are others on this list who have been waiting longer than I. Ordered directly from Zon 2K deposit and if you go back about a year ago in this very thread I posted my build sheet. I have yet to receive photographs or any indication that my build has been started. You are very correct in stating that something is not right here. I’m just glad to see instruments coming out of his shop as it gives me hope that eventually I will see mine.

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    @LowEndGroover perhaps you can PM @mrgittleman as to how you were able to reach Martin. It would be cool if he could get an update.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  7. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    Thank you for your support.

kesslari likes this.
  8. LowEndGroover

LowEndGroover Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Long Island
    PM sent.

Martin doesn’t have a personalized email address. He responds to the general Zon customer service email: customerservice@zonguitars.com

Before Dave got banned and was very vocal about his two builds, I became much more vocal and proactive with them.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Eddie

9. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I've noticed the same kind of scenario is going on with Stambaugh Designs.

10. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Well no one responded to my post looking for a Fretless Zon so I ended up pulling the trigger on the spalted maple topped 8 string on Reverb.

you guys actually convinced me without knowing it.

I sent an email to Zon asking about ordering a bass and never got a reply. When I looked online at all the regular dealers none seemed to have any Zon’s in inventory (maybe one if I recall). And when I checked all the usual used dealers beyond eBay & Reverb pretty much nada.

guess I’ll have to live with 8 tuners on my 4 string bass.

RodRy, Fuzzbass and kesslari like this.
  11. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Yep, I was looking at that one too. I'm looking for a fretted Sonus 8, so that one is not what I wanted, and it would cost way too much to convert it over.
    Enjoy, and post some NBD pics!

drumsnbass likes this.
  12. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    95A9B144-822D-4A17-AD99-6BF9614D6D50.png Well the Fretless 8 4 string Sonus Custom just arrived.

initial impression is this is going to be a keeper!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  13. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Great, let us know what you think once you have a chance to really open it up!

14. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Here’s the whole bass. 4B687FEB-7B06-43CC-85A3-10EDA940FF79.jpeg

staccatogrowl, PMagers, RodRy and 6 others like this.
  15. You can always take the small tuners off if you can deal with the aesthetics of extra "lightening" holes in your headstock.

16. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Lately I haven't been receiving responses to my first emails (lately as in the second half of this year), but when I follow up again a week later Martin has been replying. Martin's last reply to me was that they were admittedly slammed and a little behind, and that they have had a couple of intermittent shut downs again this year, with planned regional power outages, etc. I was quoted "Likely the end of the year" for my build now, so if I don't hear anything by Jan. 15th or so, I will follow up again.

Man I just wish these guys would give a more accurate wait time to everyone, as I don't think that would lesson the demand and it would probably keep folks off of their backs. It sounds like a more realistic wait time (in general) would be up to 24 months.

For the guy waiting 4 years, to me that shows that something is seriously wrong, maybe just specifically for that particular order. There has to be a way for you to get a hold of Martin and at least remind them how long you have been waiting and get you back in the immediate queue. It sounds to me that these guys tend to build basses in response to the latest crisis email / phonecall, and it's likely your build sheet ended up at the bottom of a pile and just can't find a way to make it to the top again.

Regardless, I am optimistic that I'm getting my bass in the near future, so I will keep the candles burning!

Avalon5 and Fuzzbass like this.
  17. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    Guy who’s been waiting four years here. I hope you receive your instrument in a timely fashion. I email and call every week and do not get any response. The last email I received from Joe in June he was very well aware that I have been waiting a very long time. I have called using a different number they did pick up and soon as I told them who I was the line went dead. Called back and just got the machine. I requested a piezo bridge and different pick ups and from what I understand Joe tends to take his time with “custom” builds. The fact that instruments are still coming out gives me hope and I guess I just have to wait. Not a good way to do business especially the communication part.

18. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    One more thing there are people who have been waiting longer than I for their order who are on this list. I do know that another TB member waited close to four years for his custom and had some issues at the end where Joe took his payment and didn’t send it out for a couple months after full payment was received.

19. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    @mrgittleman I feel really disturbed hearing about your phone experience. Avoiding customers is never a good look for a business.

MMiller28 and mrgittleman like this.
  20. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    That is a big "yikes" moment. I ordered something without anything custom, aside from asking for a gloss finish as opposed to a matte finish. I'm not sure if that puts me on the "hang up the phone" list or not :p

Man, my condolences on that one, I wish I could help somehow. Best of luck and hopefully we can BOTH get some good news soon.

Fuzzbass and mrgittleman like this.