onstage FAIL

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Smooth_bass88, May 31, 2021.

1. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    I've subbed on short notice and read on stage to do it. Never has anyone complained; in fact, they tend to be relieved to have someone there and prepared on short notice. (I'm a tad more discrete about it.) I saw Jeff Berlin sub for Chris Squire at the Greek Theater with two days notice many years ago. He was reading charts; no one complained and the band was happy to find someone on short notice. (It was in the news.)

2. Spectre Gunner

Spectre Gunner Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
    Whenever I argue with the voice in my head I always lose.

3. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    His face seems really close, too close to be reading anything! Just stoopid! ****** Goofy! Put some shoes on!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2021
  4. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Elgin, TX
    Audience blessing - Face made for radio, prolly.

5. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I’m with you here.

Between hopping between 2 bands, it’s nice to refresh my memory on the chord progression.

“Now was that F or F# for that intro?” Never do I make those mistakes anymore.

6. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    I do not see the big deal with the tablet. Around here a lot of the acoustic acts in restaurants are playing off them. Give me a tablet and all the chord charts and I will play songs I never played with people I never met all night.

Jeff Hughes, Manticore and Hasty like this.
  7. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    Whatever. The dude is gigging.

wazzel, WI Short Scaler and kobass like this.
  8. casualmadness

casualmadness Man About Town Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    This...I found I’d disturbing that he’s On stage shoeless

9. OregonMike

OregonMike

Jul 7, 2020
    I will say, I suspect that this is exclusive to mens feet. It is for me anyway, as I'm completely okay with Paz doing it. Hmmm. paz1.jpg paz2.jpg

ficelles likes this.
  10. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Well, I don't have much to say about the pad but I doubt anyone who's been in a bar in the daytime and seen what "stages" look like under actual lights, would want to put their bare feet down on that surface. Eeewwwww!

DrMole and whero like this.
  11. OregonJim

OregonJim

Apr 3, 2021
    Context is everything.

If you look at the picture in the OP, this is a "live band" situation. One of the expectations of a "live band" is that they engage with the audience. Make eye contact. Interact. You can't do that with sheet music stuck in front of your face.

Sitting in a pit orchestra or a session recording is a different context. It's okay there.

The bass player in the OP does not fit the context of the situation.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    BassGuyFL likes this.
  12. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    It’s quite possible that we’re looking at the sub trifecta:
    -Charts for all of the material (which consists of every bar band standard)
    -He’s related to Velma from Scooby Doo and can’t see a thing without his glasses
    -And the tablet protects the audience from the visage of the world ugliest sub bass player

13. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    A bass player interacting with the audience :roflmao::confused:

OregonMike likes this.
  14. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    The Gene Deer Band
    I see no problem. Better to sound good than look good (although lower is better IF he can still read his music.)

15. Berger912

Berger912 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Rockland County, NY
  16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Indeed. When I've got a music stand on stage, I'm reading the music and interacting with the audience. I can set my stand at a level where I can glance at it when needed, while also participating fully in the performance. I mean, audience interaction aside, the bassist also has to be making eye contact with the band. Even orchestra musicians are doing that.

It can be done. Playing on stage means juggling a lot of different things at once, and having a chart there is just one more thing.

On the other hand, with no shoes, he doesn't have to stare at his shoes. I've seen lots of bassists on stage with no charts, staring at their shoes.

DrMole and OregonJim like this.
  17. Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Jun 14, 2014
    Midland, TX

Or someone else’s… that may be a different thread though

fdeck likes this.
  18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I recently quit a band and this was one of the reasons. EVERYONE but me was reading music. After 3 years you'd think they'd know the song by now. Nope.

19. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Is Ms Lenchantin actually levitating in that second photo?

OregonMike likes this.
  20. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    If they were all reading music, I'm guessing that was a band with no guitarists.

Manticore, fdeck and DrMole like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021