1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P-Bass Love

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I think this has been written about here or there, but I need to share...

Over the last 9 months I have made more changes to my bass collection through trades, sales and purchases. For reference, I have sold and re-bought a Tony Franklin Fretless, sold off a MIM P-bass, a Reggie Hamilton MIM, a 1993 MIA Jazz (with a fully disclosed warped neck), bought and sold 2010 MIA deluxe jazz, 2010 MIA deluxe P and finally traded away a 2010 Stingray 4HH for a 1999 MIA J Deluxe (don't judge me:smug:). Oh, and did I mention I bought a Ric 4003? Yeah. A busy 9 months.

In 2009 I traded in a Stingray 5HH for a 2008 MIA Fender Precision Bass (sounds like a bad deal - I thought so at first too). My current stable includes that 2008 P, the Ric 4003, the 99 MIA J-deluxe, a Tony Franklin Fretless and a Geddy sig Jazz. I have drifted in and out of love with each one and thought for the last few weeks that the Ric was my new number 1. But, dang, if I didn't play the heck out of my P-Bass at rehearsal last night and came to the realization, yet again, that it doesn't matter what other new sounds, new tones, new necks, new pups, new anything I try, I always always ALWAYS come back to my P-bass.

And, I also have to add, that I haven't ever played a P-bass that I like as much as mine. New ones, old ones, MIA, MIM, copies, reissues, nothing. The $$$ lost on the SR 5HH for this P-bass is worth every penny. I guess I have just found one those rare basses that you love to death. Feels right, sounds great...

I hope this epiphany will save me some money and time in the Talk Bass Classifieds... In fact, maybe I can just face facts and sell off a couple... nah ....

Here's some pictures of my baby:
    5568018162_ec6a684588_z.
    pbass002 by peterdannenfelser, on Flickr

5568017960_7a9d084268_z.
    pbass001 by peterdannenfelser, on Flickr

5567432663_02de36c92e_z.
    pbasshead by peterdannenfelser, on Flickr

5567433461_2c18dd8235_z.
    pbasspups by peterdannenfelser, on Flickr

The Sting Ray is now a 99 MIA J-deluxe...
    5674519032_b45acef13c_z.
    allbasses01 by peterdannenfelser, on Flickr

2. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    Just traded my EBMM BIG AL for a custom Ben Lindsey P Bass her on TB and couldn't be happier. I had the Big Al for almost a year and just couldn't get used to the neck and basically kept using the middle pickup in passive mode ( a really great P Bass sound). So now I've got a lightly relic'd, wonder playing and sounding "vintage" P. I'm like you keep coming back to one of my 6 P's be they a single P pickup or P/J combo.

3. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Welcome to Utopia!

4. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    It's a great story. But, now you need one more to put flats on.

5. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    Hey Fletz can I have your address so I can rob your house, sorry I mean send you a postcard :bag:

6. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Take off that silly decal and you have a winner!

7. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    That is some stable of basses, even with the decal......:cool:

8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I've churned through a bunch of basses over the past 2 years as well. It has coincided with the busiest gigging stretch in a long, long time, so I can't attribute it to idle hands :p

After a decade plus of nothing but Zon 5-strings, it was a '10 AmStdP that got me back appreciating what a 4-string can do. While that bass was awesome, I want/need a bit more flexibility for my gigs and prefer active eq. Enter the new fav in the house. I have had a couple other basses come in and out of the house since this one showed up, and even today played a couple of Sadowskys and a pair of Fodera NYCs. I come back to this one and it feels like home. Perfect complement to my Rob Allens. My TF is cool, but this bass slays me - it is the only fretted bass I own now. Go figure...

pj2.

9. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Nice one.

I repeat this alot on "P" threads, and I want to preface by saying that there are lots of basses I like and enjoy. I've been playing a looong time and have owned and sampled many a bass and many stypes of basses over the years...

BUT--

every time I pick up a good example of a Precision, I think to myself "Why did anyone ever think they could improve on this?" It's still, to me, a marvel of design, functionality and economy.

There are people who enjoy--and whose music playing calls for--multiple string basses made of exotic woods with active electronics and gold hardware and a whammy bar and flashing LED lights and a Uranium PX-2 Space Modulator and built-in espresso machine. That's great. I am glad those instruments exist for those who want them.

I love a good Jazz Bass. I love Rics. I love Music Mans. I love a lot of basses by a lot of makers, but I could happily live with a good P and nothing else and be fine and set forever. (Well, maybe with a backup P...)

Really, the only bass model I like as much as a P is the pre-'57 P with the single coil pickup.

10. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I love playing P's. My first bass was a squier P and I really regret getting rid of it. Just felt so right in any mix created by man. My schecter, is VERY versatile and fits any musical situation i have been in, (other than classical of course) but thats after some tweeking. A P-bass just sits in a mix perfectly soon as you plug it in (if you know how to use an amp properly of course:p)

My next bass will probably be either a heavily modded squier P or a warmoth build. i don't believe in spending thousands on an instrument that sounds the same for $500 or less haha.

11. Like the OP I also own a Ric 4003 & an original 1964 Hofner Violin bass and 3 other basses. But the one that seems to be getting more play time is my battered Heinz 57 Fender Precision.

The body is either a MIJ or CIJ PB-57 & the neck is from a 2008 MIM. The P pickup sounds great, not sure if it's the original one & the previous owner added an active Basslines Jazz pickup which I am having removed.

I spent 20+ years avoiding the Precision only to love it & not only that but considering getting another,I fancy a black bodied and maple necked one now.

12. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Seriously digging my new one also.........

13. That's nice.

14. Wilson_D

Wilson_D

Aug 9, 2010
    I too, have owned many, many, custom basses over the years. I'm 61 and have been playing bass since 1970. I played a friends Gibson EB-0 until I could afford my own. First one I bought was a 1973 Fender P, which I truly wish I still had. Sold it in 1990. Oh well, you live and learn, right? I got into customs and went through Alembics, Smiths, Zons, Dingwalls, agh the list could go on! I ended up with a Fodera NYC, which I still have and I played it alot, but still I missed the Pure Pork of a Fender P. Bought this baby awhile back and it is by far my most played bass, followed by the one on the right, which is the second most played. The one on the left is a 59 CS P relic, while the other one is a custom P copy made by Guitars R Us in Hollywood California. I have Roto Sound flats on the 59 and Roto Sound round wounds on the other. Each is a joy to play and I have been taking both to all my gigs. Nothing like Pork fried P, fat and sassy.

Attached Files:

15. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    There are two kinds of basses: Precisions and everything else. Let the torching begin...

16. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    P-basses can do it all. Here's my pride and joy. 1973 Fender Precision.

P1010621.

17. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    my story is similar to the above. all i have now is a 08 am standars p bass

18. I always knew I wanted a P, sure I've dreamed of a boutique bass, but the sound in my head is a P, to me it's what a bass should sound like.

Saved all my bartending and pizza delivery tips last summer and by November had enough for a brand new American P5.

Have thought about buying a spare/backup bass, and instead of something totally different I want something similar to my P, maybe a Squier5P or a MM5 copy, like an OLP or something. I'm hooked on P's :p

P-Bass=:)

P-Bass+Flats=:D

19. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I like the muppet face. My daughter put it on. It adds character. :)

20. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    *I*, for one, like your style ;)

A P-Bass was my first over 40 years ago, almost never been without one, and don't ever plan to be without one again. I've been blessed to have gone through the equipment I have, but I always come back to what seemingly works without fail (granted with a few mods)... :smug:

Attached Files: