1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Parliament Filter Funk! - Which Filter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Grapevine921, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Grapevine921

Grapevine921

Feb 8, 2011
    Hey Everyone!

I've been planning out a new small(er) pedalboard setup and I'm looking for a somewhat compact envelope filter that can get me that Bootsy filter tone. I have a 90's Q-tron that I love the tone of but it's way too big to fit on my board. Are there any Boss sized pedals that don't compromise on the funk?

My first thoughts are a 3Leaf Proton or maybe the Aguilar Filter Twin. Am I missing anything? All suggestions welcome!

mikewalker and giacomobass like this.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Source Audio Spectrum?

3. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    VFE Mini Mu or Multivox Big Jam Spit Wah.

Both are long shots, but well worth it if you can find one.

chupacerveza, grillman and Bo0tsy like this.
  4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    +1 for the SA Spectrum you will never need another filter

5. giacomobass

giacomobass

Dec 30, 2011
    Italy
    EHX Micro Q-Tron? Doctor Q?

If you don't want to compromise on the funk, get a larger pedalboard and make space for that big ole box! :D

Honestly, I doubt you'll find the same tone in a digital pedal.

chupacerveza and SteveFromBerlin like this.
  6. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have no doubt you will find that tone in the Source Audio Box. Because it is there and more . I had the Qtron way back and all the Q-Trons in between . I had a Xerograph also digital and Fwonk Beta not digital also MXR BEF Aguilar filter twin I have had more filters than I can remember and they are all in this box and sound as good as if not better than the original. So doubt away it is really all in there.

Robertron, Bo0tsy and johnk_10 like this.
  7. If you are looking at the Source Audio Spectrum spend the 40 bucks more and get the C4 it is a hecka hecka hecka a lot more pedal for those few bones. I will give you the Bootsy fuzz tones needed as well as the synth bass tones you need to cover the Bernie W bass lines. Add a midi switcher pedal and a modulation/reverb/delay and get your funkyjamzastinkyfingerzaworking

8. giacomobass

giacomobass

Dec 30, 2011
    Italy
    But big ole boxes are just so cool! They've got the Funk! :p

[​IMG]
    Via 1973 Seamoon Funk Machine V1 Pedal - Incredibly Funky Auto Envelope Filter Wah Effect

9. If you don't mind a bit of DIY, or have friends who are handy, the Madbean Naughty Fish does the "Mutron in a small box" thing very nicely.

10. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    I've had the big-box Qtron and the VFE Mini Mu, and thought they sounded identical. I've also had the Madbean Naughty Fish and thought they sounded very similar as well, though the Naughty Fish I bought second-hand had something weirdly unstable going on with it.

PM me if you want to go for a Mini Mu. I have one and I just always use an FX25 instead, though I really want to love the Mini Mu/Qtron sound.

Bo0tsy likes this.
  11. I second looking at a Source Audio C4. You can make it do ANYTHING you’d ever want a filter to do. Anything. My pedalboard is a hardcore darwinian struggle for survival for my pedals and the C4 is never gonna leave it.

12. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I will also agree that for the extra Dough the C4 is definitely worth it if you want or need the extras it offers and it is short bucks for what you get. Everything in the Spectrum is in the C4 but everything in the C4 is not in the Spectrum. I have both.

Robertron likes this.
  13. Rayjay

Rayjay Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    I'm super happy with my 3Leaf. As far as my needs go, envelope filter shopping is complete.

Phyzzbin, Robertron and chupacerveza like this.
  14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Bootsy used a Mu-Tron III with P-Funk, so I'd start the search there (yeah, they are big).

15. Mu-Tron Micro-Tron III will work!

16. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I've had most of the filters on the planet. I kept the Mr Black Fwonkbeta and Emma Discumbobulator. I'd go for the Fwonk.

Although I haven't checked out the latest Source Audio offering. That could very well be The One.

Robertron and Bo0tsy like this.
  17. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    I have seamoon clone.. And a Mutron clone.. Both in small boxes..

giacomobass likes this.
  18. JamesNC

JamesNC

Dec 10, 2016
    MXR Bass Auto Q? Close to the size of a sideways Boss pedal.

19. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    MXR BEF. Not the newest or hottest but a real nice box. I have the MXR BEF and the Aguilar FT and I use the BEF way more.

20. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Does the C4 do all the envelope filters that the Spectrum does?

Phat-E likes this.