Pros with cheapies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by byrdsfan, Apr 21, 2004.

1. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    My guitarist gets all over me because i have a few basses but none on top tier level of his Fender and Ric stuff. I guess my next one will be the inevitible Precision but i like having a bunch of them and my Dano and Musicmaster are def. quality pieces.
    Anyway, with all lower-priced instruments out there today, who plays bargain basses on the pro level? I've seen bands with the Dano reissues but no one name springs to mind. I know Trujillo endorses Fernandes and they dont cost much, at least not all of them. Anyone else?
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Debra killings, Atlanta session bassist and gospel artist, said in Bass Player that her 5-string Squire Precision Bass Special is her main recording instrument. Those can be had for around $200. :eek: Her playing can be checked out on Outkast's latest plus her new solo album.
  3. Don´t know about Trujillo, but we must remember that just because somebody is endorsing some brand or instrument it doesn´t mean that his/her basses have anything to do with stock models. My friend used to play in an internationally successful metal band and they had an endorsement deal with ESP. He told me that their signature models that were sold in stores were very different from their personal axes, which were custom made to their specifications. Only the looks were the same.
  4. fat mike from nofx plays a dano DC bass. the guy from mclusky plays a squier P with the knobs fallen off (like they do on all squier Ps).
  5. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    Southern Culture on the Skids has a woman bass player with a Dano DC back sparkle like mine.
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You've probably never heard of Rozz Zamorano, or his bands, but he's regarded as one of the hottest bassists in the Houston area. He seldom plays his Fodera live, preferring his early 80's Ibanez Roadstar bass. And oh, my -- you should hear the things he does with that beat up old bass!!!

7. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    The newer bass player for Firehouse was playing a Fender Squire 4 banger when I saw them end of last year. I couldn't believe it.
  8. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I know it isn't a bass, but I believe that Reggie Wooten plays a Japanese Squier Strat.
  9. some of those japanese squiers from the vista factor are excellent instruments, its surprising
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Paul McCartney played a Hofner. ;)
    Sure, they're expensive now, but back then...

Rocco Prestia also played Fernandes for a long time.
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Trujillo uses Fernandes? What is his sig white one?
  12. Guitbass

Guitbass Guest

Jan 22, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Yes's own Chris Squire recorded and toured using a very low end standard Lakland bass on their Magnification tour. I believe that they sell in the $700 dollar range. Not cheap but I'm sure he could afford more for a bass. It just goes to show you that with all the money being plunked down on basses now days, and sometimes they are worth it, the price of the instrument is irrelevant in the hands of a gifted bass player.

13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    the 44-01?
  14. Guitbass

Guitbass Guest

Jan 22, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Yes, I believe that's the one.
  15. The guy from the Groove Collective has an amazing collection of extremely cheap basses. Yes, he records with them.

This is proof you don't need a 7000$ instrument to make decent music. :ninja:
  16. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Interesting, no mention of this on thier own band site. YesWorld

According this YesWorld, the Lakland he uses is a Jo Osborne.
  17. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Squire plays a Lakland Joe Osborn, not the import version either. Quite expensive actually.
    Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick is known to play, collect, and record with many cheap/weird basses in addition to his very expensive Chandlers.
  18. Studio bassist (and occasional poster here) Dave Pomeroy uses both Reverends and Wish basses, among others. Neither a Wish nor a Rev will will force you into bankruptcy.
  19. Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    Bassist from REM was using a Danelectro DC bass on their album from about 2 years ago. Several other people use them, but I can't remember who.
  20. The only one that springs to mind is

Mark White of the Spink Doctors use to play a IBI ATK..

Cheap basses (in the grand scheme of things)

But tone tone tone all the way..!!!!

Ive seen
    P-Nut also using standard Corvettes..the type that can be got for $400 is off ebay from time to time :hyper:

In the UK thats £200

THats Murder.!!!