1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rat Fur Poll

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MD-BassPlayer, Dec 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I won’t buy a rat fur covered cab

38.8%
  2. I don’t mind it / indifferent

52.8%
  3. I prefer rat fur covering

8.5%
  1. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Just a quick poll to see what the general opinion is on rat fur.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I strongly prefer something else but it's not a deal breaker on a great cab.

3. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
  4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Hate it! I'll buy it but only to remove it.

5. DrPieZon

DrPieZon

Nov 16, 2007
    Nashua, NH
    Now that bars/clubs are smoke free and I've never had a cat, I don't mind rat-fur. In fact I think it holds up better than most other coverings. I've never felt the need to buy a cover for my rat-fur cabs because they can take the banging without any noticeable wear.

leonard, Thisguy, PeteBass51 and 10 others like this.
  6. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    S/E Idaho
    I voted "don't mind/ indifferent" but on a new cab would probably look for something without it.

but buying used, i'll get the best I can for the price, and not worry about it.

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  7. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    On the positive side, rat fur covering is VERY tough and stands up to gigging very well.

I’ve had two issues with it over the years. The first has all but gone away. The stuff was a nightmare in the smoking era. Sponges up the second hand smoke, and gross does not begin to describe the overall effect. Fortunately, I don’t play clubs that allow smoking near the dance floor any more.

The second issue is cats. They just love to use rat fur cabs as scratching posts. The effect can be rather incredible. We no longer have cats or dogs; so that’s no longer an issue for me either.

But, my current cabs just happen to be a combination of truck bed liner and tolex. I do still have two rat fur cabs in a storage unit up in Michigan. Praying they survive a couple more winters.

8. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I feel the fur is much more durable if you're moving em. I'll pick on Aguilar as l own their stuff.
    My DB112s in "chocolate thunder" would tear if you looked at them wrong. Not moving material without expensive covers.
    I also have GS112 series cabs and they have been exposed to the riggers of the road. They still look real good and sound great!
    These are commercial cabs, not furniture.

9. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Sound and tone first, then aesthetics.

slugger, 40Hz, SJan3 and 5 others like this.
  10. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

I've always been curious as to why modern manufacturers still cover bass cabinets in bloody carpet.

11. west al

west al Ready, PLAY! Supporting Member

Tolex only! KSyZlN9.gif

Coolhandjjl and Pbassmanca like this.
  12. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    hopwheels likes this.
  13. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I have an old Peavey 410TX cabinet covered in rat fur, and it looks great for its age. I don't mind that type of covering at all.

Our cat isn't allowed in the music room, or I'm sure he'd have scratched it to pieces, though it is a Peavey cab, so it may just destroy his claws.

We do have a white dog who sheds like crazy. Her fur sticks to the rat fur covering like glue, which gives it a salt and pepper distinguished look. Nothing a lint roller can't fix.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    D. shave it off ;)

15. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I keep an old broken Carvin around specifically because our cat loves to tear it up. It keeps him from scratching on anything else.

Wouldn't buy rat fur again.

Engle likes this.
  16. We have a white boxer that sheds a lot...

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  17. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

when building cabs: i used the popular 'painted on' coverings: easier, faster. i have carpet-covered in the past but it was not cost efficient (time) for me.

when buying cabs: i don't care about the covering as much (or at all) as i care about the wood/materials used under the covering!

i voted "indifferent."

tfer likes this.
  18. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    I'm good with rat fur... all my Trace stage rigs are upholstered glorious dark green. I've gigged them for years before & after the smoking era... No problems with durability or lingering odors.

My Markbass rig also has rat fur, not anticipating any problems there either.

Lately I've been kinda digging the tuck & roll stuff... and of course I'm down with anything upholstered in thick, red shag.

alaskaleftybass and Lvjoebass like this.
  19. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I won't buy any cabinet that doesn't have rat fur...

ThinCrappyTone and blubass like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021