REDDI vs P15 Poll Time. 2017 update coming soon!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 10cc, Feb 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. REDDI

41.0%
  2. Broughton P-15

45.7%
  3. No DI straight shot!

13.3%
  1. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    [QUOTE="cheu78, post: 19714937, member: 265920"
    In some other cases you're better without an xformer. (Like in the old MCI JH24 tape machines, the transformerless ones sound much better than the ones with xformers IME).
    Cheu[/QUOTE]

I know a few old guys with some funny gold records on their wall that would disagree with that. The opinion was split, of course. Some guys love the sound of the Jensen transformers.

I remember a discussion between a producer and a location recording engineer on a Kirk Whalen live recording session arguing the merits of each. Then the truck operator bought a Studer 24-tack machine loaded with Dolby SR cards and the discussion quickly swerved...:D

My Gosh, we are really showing our age with this part of the discussion...:roflmao:

10cc likes this.
  2. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Good stuff in these last two posts. Thanks for the enlightening

cheu78 likes this.
  3. cheu78

cheu78

Jul 26, 2014
    I know a few old guys with some funny gold records on their wall that would disagree with that. The opinion was split, of course. Some guys love the sound of the Jensen transformers.

I remember a discussion between a producer and a location recording engineer on a Kirk Whalen live recording session arguing the merits of each. Then the truck operator bought a Studer 24-tack machine loaded with Dolby SR cards and the discussion quickly swerved...:D

My Gosh, we are really showing our age with this part of the discussion...:roflmao:[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong..Jensen are fantastic transformers! Very high quality, I believe that in some mci's they didn't put those in..

Studer had haufe or neutrik (I believe..maybe also Jensens?).. Nothing el-cheapo stuff.. everything Studer made back then was basically "cost-no-object" products..

In the jh24's I've heard (and owned) the ones without xformers sounded "fuller", with a better lowend. At least imho.
    In other products/designs (like the Avedis MA5 or the old neves or old spectrasonics preamps/consoles) were high quality xformers are used, the signal usually benefits a lot from them (and the circuit around them).

:)

Cheu

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Geri O likes this.
  4. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Jensen are fantastic transformers! Very high quality, I believe that in some mci's they didn't put those in..
    In the jh24's I've heard the ones without xformers sounded "fuller", with a better lowend.
    In other products/designs (like the Avedis MA5 or the old neves or old spectrasonics preamps/consoles) were high quality xformers are used, the signal usually benefits a lot from them (and the circuit around them).

:)

Cheu[/QUOTE]

Then there were the tape discussions...:roflmao::roflmao:

cheu78 likes this.
  5. CapM

CapM

Sep 29, 2014
    Florida
    What's weird is they've been asking $900 for them. On Noble's website, they're $939 new. :unsure:

6. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    They've been getting it all day long from what I can tell, as they don't last long.
    But, damn, there's been a bunch lately! Ever since @10cc placed his order, lol.
    I think that it's just such a steep price...hard to keep if it doesn't just knock your socks off.
    If you really want a pedal board pre in the first place.
    We'll see....

7. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Anybody seen my socks lately???

Dave Hill likes this.
  8. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Ed the Sock. A Canadian icon. images-2.jpg

ahc likes this.
  9. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Socks on as of now.

10. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Ok - I didn't focus on this thread until now. But man am I psyched to get my p-15 back. It sounds amazing. The reddi kinda sounds like ass in comparison

11. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Did you break it?

12. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    It's a long story. No fault at all of Josh's.

blindrabbit likes this.
  13. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Well it sounds like you've got it straightened out.

14. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    All this recent P-15 talk made me use it this weekend. I had been mostly using the Broughton Wishing Star recently. The P-15 is also awesome with a synth.

blindrabbit and Dave Hill like this.
  15. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Lol. I wouldn't equate the REDDI with "ass".
    I also prefer the P-15.

16. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Great DI, but I just wasn't using mine as I had intended. That's the only reason I sold mine. Like you said, too much money just sitting around. But if I were in a situation where I could use it, I would buy another in a heartbeat.

17. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    Does the P15 also use a true output transformer design similar to Reddi?

OTOH, from reading the Noble website, it sounds to me like the Noble is a tube preamp with passive transformer DI. But I may be mis-understanding. Many thanks to all the folks contributing tech and real-world experience, very interesting thread!

10cc likes this.
  18. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    The P-15 has a true output transformer.

blindrabbit and cavemanbass like this.
  19. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    The tube is transformer loaded?

20. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    I ran an old Korg Triton into my P-15 on some songs and it sounded great. Super fat synth tones for days. I'd love to hook up a voyager or motif and see what the combo could produce.

dinoadventures likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021