1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4003 Colours?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyAxe, Oct 22, 2013.

1. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Hey everyone. So, I have decided to purchase a new Rickenbacker 4003. I can not wait to finally receive my first. Though, I do have a rather trivial question to ask. What colour should I get? The only one I'm ruling out totally is the blue, a blue Ric just doesn't sit right with me personally. I've also found that you don't see many people with the new 'Ruby Red' colour basses. Any reasons for that? Yes, I know this is a sorta stupid question, but I love to hear others opinions.
    Keep on truckin! :cool:

2. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Well, I don't have figures, but I believe there have been a lot of Ruby basses made. I think it is more popular than you guess. However, the "evergreen" colors of Jetglo, Fireglo, and Mapleglo will ALWAYS outsell the other available colors, and therefore more are made and more are available in those colors.

3. jag872002

jag872002

Jun 16, 2009
    I have a jetglo, but I like them all. I think if I get another one I would go for mapleglo. Get whatever color you like more.

4. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I have a mapleglo. It's gorgeous. If I were looking for a second Ric, I'd have a hard time turning down the Ruby Red. Just think about what that thing must look like on stage.

Droooool....

5. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Let me add my personal belief on choosing colors. The biggest factor, IMO, is that, when you see it in the room, you are compelled to pick it up and play. Sounds like you've figured out that Midnight Blue isn't for you. It's a personal choice, but if you can't leave it alone because it looks so good, you've made the right choice.

6. I think that Ruby Red only gets released every so often, but I think it's really pretty. Other unusual "colours" are that teal grean metallic, white, blueboy (a powder blue), and the blueburst (gorgeous). These are all very limited runs but can be found on the used market.

7. My early eighties 4003 is Jetglo. I like this particular Ric a lot, and I think the color is just dandy... but...

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but IMO, Rics aren't real consistent in any era, so with them it's very important to pick the specific example hands-on. Liking the color is real nice, but it maybe shouldn't be the first consideration.

8. As other said, Ruby Red was a limited run (last year I think?).

9. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Banned

Apr 6, 2008
    Lousy-Anna
    Don't forget seafoam green!

attachment.

My 4001C64 started out as the first of five "special green" basses that Rick made back in 2011 (interesting tidbit: all 15 of that original white/yellow/green run were originally white) and were sold by Pick of the Ricks. But, it had several finish issues (flaking, finish bubbling/lifting around the bridge, obvious repairs, etc) so it went back to Rickenbacker to be refinished. It was refinished in the original mint "special green" but the refinish was much, much worse than the original paintjob where the finish was again bubbling around the bridge, the fretboard hadn't been refinished and had rub-throughs on the edges, and the truss rods were painted over as well as the nut (which wasn't removed prior to refinishing). I had made it clear that I expected the bass to have NO signs whatsoever that it had been refinished. Also, several screws were chewed. So, back it went again...this time, I was told that Rickenbacker didn't have any more "special green" paint (even though I was assured it would be the same color previously). Rick offered to repaint the bass in the 2000 color-of-the-year "seafoam" green (which I HIGHLY preferred, and always kicked myself for missing one of the impossible-to-find V63 seafoam basses that trickled out of the factory years ago). I definitely prefer the seafoam color, as it is pretty much my dream bass (basically a reverse headstock V63 in seafoam) but I was promised a "1 of 1" certificate since they couldn't refinish my bass in the original factory "special green" color in order to keep its value; afterall, this bass was nearly 4 grand mainly JUST because of the custom color. To sum up, I received the bass, EXPERTLY refinished and absolutely perfect in seafoam, but the case was scratched and some pickup screwheads were chewed in the process...and in the end Rickenbacker flatly refused to do anything about any of it, and completely refused to provide me with the certificate of authenticity that they had promised (or ANY documentation that the bass was specifically refinished by the factory in seafoam green). I've emailed them several times since, and haven't gotten a response. All I wanted was documentation showing that this bass was a 1 of 1 seafoam 4001C64 refinished by the factory.

Although I have to confess again that I GREATLY prefer the bass in this color...

:)

Attached Files:

10. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    A truly beautiful bass! Yet its stories like this that make me yearn for Sterling Ball to purchase Rickenbacker and apply Music Man's QA processes and standards to this historic line of instruments.

11. Wow! What a beauty!

12. I have a Ruby 4003 from1985. It kicks a$$!

13. They made that red finish with black trim once or twice. But they say that bass has a curse on it and its owner.

14. Get what blows your skirt up.

I like this one:

Attached Files:

15. rupture

rupture

Jan 27, 2012
    I always dug the silver and black ones. Wish they would run those again

16. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

The Ric Corporation immediately recognized that problem and they put out a special service bulletin to address it. The bulletin stated that all you need to do is hang a white rabbit's foot from the D tuning peg, stick a four leaf clover in your ear, and while holding the bass perfectly horizontal, walk under a ladder while singing "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles, and you would be completely free from the curse for the following four hours. (Perfect for that 3-hour gig.)

17. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
  18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Ruby is a standard color, never part of the COY series.

19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Since the OP said he wants to buy a new 4003 that leaves the standard colors that are made these days. My vote goes for Ruby. :bassist:

20. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Banned

Apr 6, 2008
    Lousy-Anna
    Here's the original "special green" color before it was returned one of the times to be refinished:

attachment.

Attached Files: