Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adivin, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Some have very thick necks others do not. Be sure to ask and best if you can play it first.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Rickenbacker makes more than just one model of bass. The 4003 is the one everyone knows, and they're a classic design, and a great bass. Anything from 2006 onward will have the push/pull tone pot, and most will have a thinner neck. But, they also make a more modern bass, the 4004. I'd suggest looking into this model as well. There are no pickup covers to remove, no clunky tailpiece/bridge assembly, and still you get a great looking/sounding Ric bass with humbuckers.

3. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    Yea that factory cover is interesting...easy to remove. I installed a pu bezel that fills the gap that becomes visible when the cover is removed. Plays perfect now. These bezels (very high quality) offer 3 upper finger rest style choices. Raised finger rest, no finger rest and recessed rest. I got the raised version...If I had to do it over, I'd get a no rest version....

4. DiMarco

DiMarco Guest

Feb 4, 2010
    Taking the cover off leaves you with a sharp and pointy metal rim around the pickup that hurts your fingers, but you can buy a "Rickenbacker treble bezel" to fill the gab.

4003-standard-installed.jpg

I chose to simply leave the cover on and adapted pretty quick. Picked and slap I play in front of the cover, fingerstyle usually between that cover and the bridge. Never notice it being in the way or such.

5. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I own a 2013 Fireglo 4003 and it has no issues. I did change the bridge out for a Hipshot so I would have more adjustability.

6. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    So where are some pics?

7. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    m

Attached Files:

8. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    What is Joey's bass notes?

9. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Found the site. Thanks

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'm not a fan of pickup covers either. I like the way they look but they just get in the way for me. I've got more basses without them so I'm not going to alter my technique just to make it work on a couple.

I picked up a Deluxe Treble Bezel for my 4003. It's got a little ridge on it to rest your thumb. It's perfect!

11. If you're 100% set on a ric I'd recommend going with a new one. I was in a used shop the other day and pulled their old, super beat up 1985 4003 off the wall and was not impressed with the tone or playability. Looked at the price tag expecting maybe $1000-$1200... Nope. $1900 for a dinged up bass with a peeling finish and what sounded like dying pickups. tried out an american standard jazz bass on the same rack that looked almost brand new, $900 and sounded 10x better. If you're going for the Geddy Lee/Chris Squire type tone I'd just go with a jazz bass, mainly because I feel like these days you're paying for the Ric name and body shape. Just my 2 cents

12. Thing is... Yes tone has little to do with the jazz bass IMHO. If he wants the yes tone, the closest I've come without a Rik is with a BTB using the vari-mid.

13. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    What's with all the comments saying Rics like thinner gauge strings?

14. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Just personal preference. I have seen just about every type of string put on a rick on this forum and every different person says it sounds best. I actually like the ric strings that came on mine.

15. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Another strange thing I noticed is that the strap pins are very small. Keeps coming out my strap so much I don't trust it. Damn isn't anything normal on this thing!

16. Are they for strap locks maybe?

17. Older Riks had some issues with very heavy strings warping the neck. I doubt it's been true for many decades though

18. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

Nov 12, 2012
    That's been my experience whenever I've tried the newer ones, (I tried a 70's Ric with flats once, and it was magical.) and yet they still won't make a quality budget line for us poor folks. You'd think they would learn from Squier and Epiphone, but nope - they just keep pushing overpriced, inferior products out of what I suspect is a hugely backlogged, overworked U.S. factory, to the point where they are now just trading on their name, all out of pure hubris and spite, all while suing the pants off anyone who tries to make a similar instrument for less money to fill the screaming demand for such a thing, all because of some imagined exclusivity of Ric ownership that they think justifies their price tag.

You know, it wasn't that long ago that a thread like this would be filled with people singing the praises of Saint Rickenbacker - and you'd be hard-pressed to argue with them. But I see less and less of those people every year.

If I seem angry, it's because I hate seeing this company run such a fantastic instrument and reputation into the ground, all because of their iron-willed determination to keep the unwashed masses from getting their hands on a Ric, when they could be making money hand over fist, and producing a quality product again.

19. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't know. Many companies choose that strategy and choose not to dilute the brand. Why doesn't Porsche offer a cheap brand so everyone can drive a Porsche? I'm curious if you adjust for inflation, are Rics more expensive now then in the 60s or 70s?

20. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    No strap locks came with my bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021