1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker stereotypes ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GodPlayedBass, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Ive heard people say things on the internet to other people such as

"I bet you you like rics"
    Assuming its an insult, any stereotypes going around about ric players ? Also what dont people like about them ?

dbsfgyd1 likes this.
  2. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Stoners.

Old guys that miss shag carpet, wood paneling, and VW buses.

BassBeginer64, shojii, Beej and 5 others like this.
  3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

The bridge

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    News to me that there are stereotypes surrounding Ric players.

MattZilla, mngnt, Frank77 and 6 others like this.
  5. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Strange the 2 main stereotypes seem to be that a Rick only sounds like a Chris Squire/Geddy Lee sound-OR a Macca sound.
    2 polar opposites in a one trick pony. ;)

bobyoung53, shojii, Clemouze and 15 others like this.
  6. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I've found I've found the Rickeratti to be a fairly diverse bunch . The odds may be good , but the goods are odd .
    I put flats on both of mine .

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    PSA: Don't drink the green eggnog.

bobyoung53, Frank77, Dluxe and 8 others like this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    The one I seem to hear most about Ric owners?
    They comb their hair with forks.

9. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    My first bass was a Ric 4001. I haven't owned on for a few decades now. Does that make me more or less cool?

10. Ric players are either prog rockers or stoners. Those are the two that get thrown my way when I take mine out in public. Which one depends on whether I wear a cape that day I guess.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FGyLXBqF2T1qtG%2Fgiphy.gif

11. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I'm putting a 4004 on my gas-list, just to screw with the stereotype. Wait... 4004 didn't come with stereo output... did it? :facepalm:

12. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I thought Rics were the only stereotype basses available.

Beej, 4sight, basmansam and 7 others like this.
  13. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The stuff I see on the net is usually typed, not spoken, but there was that infamous video from Dave's World of Fun Stuff that got passed around here like it was confetti at 00:00 on 01-Jan
    It's the connotation that you're different if you enjoy playing them, which is supposed to be an insult, but I think it's a compliment. Why conform?

14. Hey! I had a VW bus....I think...Whoooaaa!!:thumbsup:

DTRN, Beej, makdub and 1 other person like this.
  15. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Randy Meisner played a Ric on Hotel California. Pete Quaife played a Ric in the Kinks for awhile.

16. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Stereotypes eh... wondering now if I should have ordered that fretless violin bass that is somewhere in a queue of trucks near Calais. I guess I'd better only play Beatles songs with it.

Vinny_G and J_Bass like this.
  17. Drifter8230

Drifter8230

Sep 4, 2020
    NOVA
    I stereotype Ric owners/players as unconventional, in a positive way. Not an insult really :bassist:

68Tele-Bass, Iristone and The Owl like this.
  18. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Not just here, but that video does seem to pop up in a lot of bass forums whenever someone is asking about ricks, and it seems like it is usually posted by people who have never played/owned one. Maybe I'm the one stereotyping now, but that's the kind of stuff that annoys me, that and the fact that that stuff annoys me enough to post about/respond to it.

I have a 4001. I appreciate it for what it is, not what the internet tells me it should be. I'll leave it at that.

19. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    There is this completely insane anime/manga called FLCL (said Fooley Cooley) where the wacky character Haruko Haruhara wields a blue Rickenbacker as a weapon.

So there's that unique perception of Rickenbacker wielders as well.

I had an opportunity to try a Rickenbacker in recent years... I didn't like it at all. Its ergonomics felt all wrong and it was just a very uncomfortable bass to strap on and play. I appreciate that they're totally unique. There is nothing out there like a Rickenbacker. But they're not for me.

shojii, PennyroyalWe, fhm555 and 3 others like this.
  20. Erasmusman

Erasmusman One day I will master the bass. Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2020
    Upper Midwest
    If I played my Ric like Chris Squire or Geddy Lee, I would love to be stereotyped.

Iristone, Spectrum and woodyng2 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021