1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roscoe Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe BassPlayer, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia

What did you install in the Koa Roscoe?
    The Nordstrand?

2. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I’ve loved this bass as it plays as good and every note songs off the fretboard. However it was a little to smooth and polite in a mix for my taste. I had Nordstrand DC’s and Nordstrand 3 band preamp with VTC and it brought it to life. Perfect pairing for this bass. 545E9EC9-BA65-4FF3-A038-81B08AEBCDE9.jpeg 4243D35F-0B61-4D1B-9EFE-85C7BB15DD37.jpeg

lo-freq, 5StringPocket and armybass like this.
  3. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Keith offered the Nordstrand DC about 10 or so years ago but he didn’t offer the Nordstrand preamp (which may not of existed back then). I tried a couple builds with them and could never warm up to them. Much to clear and open sounding for my tastes (at least with the Aguilar and Audere preamps).
    Hope they complete the bass for you.
    It may be that you just don’t like the thick Koa top and ash body on the bass. Koa tends to add a great deal of politeness to the tone (when it’s fairly thick).

You may just have to go with an uglier bass!:D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    SteveC and Bassworship1 like this.
  4. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, I’ve actually bought basses based on what they were and not how they looked, although road-worn and intentional bass finish ruining is not my thing. But I do like a good looking bass and I understand a lot of players rely of the looks of a bass like relying on the looks of a car to pull the babes.

5. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I want a bass to sound good first and foremost. I also won't keep one if it looks bad and plays bad. So all 3 factors are must for me.

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I like a good looking bass as well. But it has to play well and sound great.

As far as the looks of a bass “pulling in the babes”...I’m not sure that’s a thing.

oo_ee_oo_ah_ah and Nightman like this.
  7. DrMoustache

DrMoustache

Jan 9, 2016
    I think we need a separate thread, perhaps with a poll at a the top, regarding bassists' success in "pulling" romantic partners as compared to other members of the band, including what bass was being played at the time, and what kind of music.

Nightman likes this.
  8. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The looks of a bass is what attracts me first. Then it has to feel good in my hands. With so many choices, I could not play a bass that I don’t enjoy looking at. As much as folks like Rics, I would never pick one up because I don’t like the looks.

Nightman likes this.
  9. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    That and those Longhorn basses!!! They are like finger nails dragging across a chalk board! o_O

JLY likes this.
  10. DrMoustache

DrMoustache

Jan 9, 2016
    I think those things are ugly as sin, but I'm also the guy who picked up a Black Eagle re-issue just because he loves how they look, so maybe don't take my opinion as the gospel truth.

11. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    I really don’t like the looks of most of the single-cutaway basses I’ve seen.

12. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    The Black Eagle isn't that bad looking and fits if you are playing Hard Rock or Metal. But for Classical Rock, RNB, Soul, Pop, Jazz, Gospel or CCM? Yeah, you need something else! :)

DrMoustache likes this.
  13. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You know, a
    Me either Oren.
    Just not my thing.

14. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring our spinning, shimmery aquasphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    A bass that pulls babes? Not likely. A Ski Nautique, however? No problem

2017_Ski_200_CB_10.jpg

Here's lookin' at you, Nightman

com01840.jpg

84d5b2cb127f63474fe5a430ae64a6df--water-ski-sports-photos.jpg

15. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks, but I don’t water ski nor into boating. :D
    What else you got?

16. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Anyone ever see a Roscoe with a Myrtle body as well as a Myrtle top?
    34334912-DBCE-4E7D-8D91-1152BBE786D1.jpeg B7CEAD16-EABD-498F-B4A1-74571F613680.jpeg

17. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia

Pretty.
    Keith made quite a few one piece myrtle burl basses (no top wood). I had one and it sounded really good. A bit like maple.

staccatogrowl and armybass like this.
  18. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia

Lol
    Yeah. You can get those at Bass Pro. It’s one of the biggest Bass stores in America!
    I’ve been there but somethings a bit fishy. The only bass that I saw was in an aquarium.:roflmao:

staccatogrowl and JLY like this.
  19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Many years ago I had a one piece myrtle 6 string, with a two tone purpleheart board. That was an incredible bass. A bit heavy, but not unmanageable. I think that was a bass I put the Demeter preamp into, but the Tyler Spec one. File that under "what'd ya sell that one for?!?!?"

20. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    A bass in an aquarium? :laugh:

Just out of curiosity, aren’t Ski boats and Bass boats two different types of boats?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021