Roscoe Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe BassPlayer, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I actually like the B best but with the Standard Plus basses Keith says the B Bridge won't work without reprogramming his machines. I've actually asked for the B Bridge every build lol.

nonohmic and staccatogrowl like this.
  2. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Fair enough.

Either way it looks incredible, ain't really looking at the bridge with that top ha.

staccatogrowl and Bassworship1 like this.
  3. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Odd that Keith would say that. I suspect that it's based on his preference to use his staggered base version of the Type A bridge (in order to attempt to have all of the saddles totally lowered all the way down). I would think that the Type B bridge would be very similar to using the standard Type A bridge (without out the staggered base). I know that I've swapped out several STD Type B bridges and replaced them with standard Type A bridges and they all worked out great. I've also replaced the Roscoe proprietary Type A bridge with the STD Type A bridge with great results (able to lower the strings down much lower).

Personally, I much prefer the Type A bridge due to the method of top load and ability to tweak the string spacing. It's also been my experience that the Type A saddles are less likely to produce rattles.
    Of course that's just me. The Type B style bridge certain works fine and is still used by several really good luthiers for their basses.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've always kind of looked at the Hipshot B as a Fender bridge that's not crappy and has fixed all the things wrong with a Fender bridge. And as luck would have it, the best playing and sounding basses I own all have Hipshot B bridges....two Roscoes and a Carvin Bunny Brunel.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

My basses are stock. The action is great. It’s easy to change strings. The are in tune all up and down the neck. I just must not be as particular as you all.

JLY and staccatogrowl like this.
  6. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring a spinning, shimmery aquasphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Don't overthink it Joe. I think Keith has drawn a line in the sand. Can you see it?

Standards have a machine-cut flat top and a "B" bridge.

Customs have a hand-carved, shaped, and sanded top, with a Roscoe proprietary "A" bridge.

There is nothing wrong with either model, and users of both love and swear by their basses. Rightfully so.

Just guessing, though. It is funny seeing some folks scheming to trick Keith into providing all the Custom features for the Standard price. I suppose it could happen, as he seems to be a charitable guy.

Freddy-G. and Nightman like this.
  7. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I much prefer the Hipshot A style bridge but would take the Hipshot B over Keith's proprietary Hipshot A. Also worth noting that Mike Tobias prefers the Hipshot B bridge and uses it with most of his builds.

8. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring a spinning, shimmery aquasphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Keith's proprietary Hipshot is his design and preference. I won't argue with it. It's a simple swap to get a standard drop-in Hipshot replacement for about a $100, if one decides they must have it. Most don't. Including me, for any Roscoe I have owned.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Nightman likes this.
  9. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Long fun night playing with grand kids in the pool and watching "The Bee" movie!
    Since they slept in a bit I thought that I'd fool around a bit with one of my Roscoe's this morning.
    Here's a short soundtrack of my Roscoe Custom Century 5 with D'Addarrio Chromes installed. It can get really nasty sounding with OD. It's just a riff that I came up with (expanded a bit and played with a pick).

F5F6E774-8B7F-4DDA-A73F-0BC490A255E8.jpeg

Attached Files:

10. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Took these pics the other day, forgot to post them. In the sunlight you can see so many details to this bass, like the grain on the side of the fingerboard (and the thin layer of another wood beneath the wenge). Very impressive.
    EACFB86D-088D-4437-A042-E2070785C8CB.jpeg B5DCAE4E-1CFC-4F91-83D8-76B296635DD3.jpeg EE36B548-60EE-495E-BB03-D2F91309C472.jpeg DB1C24E8-F4EB-4B3D-883A-FAF3F2C79C21.jpeg A6A11BE4-F3BC-40A7-93C5-31C6B3A3D521.jpeg C057D307-6234-4004-803D-D42F9D3FBBBA.jpeg 89B090E7-0471-4C0E-943C-22D2790C041D.jpeg C960B4CA-5558-4B66-B5BB-B85DE171B033.jpeg D4354C7A-E1A3-44AD-93DA-319F29A7E8F6.jpeg C1141FEA-4825-41CB-9785-5FFBC79C84B4.jpeg 4E45DD43-DEF0-49B1-B270-A150B776BD35.jpeg DFC3CBFC-4BC0-48DC-A072-A37EF48A9295.jpeg AD07494D-BA3F-4B8C-BA22-15C787AB9F45.jpeg 29804F00-1C58-4CC7-B0F1-56351169F62B.jpeg F6EF1EFA-F081-4621-A9AA-4C352D9DA032.jpeg

On a more practical note, I started playing with some guys locally a few weeks ago- a lot of Phish and Grateful Dead, which is not my forté, but I figured I’d give it a shot. Nice guys, drummer is good, and it’s a 10 minute drive from my house, so lots of plusses ;). Anyways, I took my Modulus Q5 last time (when in Rome), but noticed it slides around a lot on me when standing for long periods of time (like one Dead song :D). Took the Roscoe last night (first time I’ve used it with other people since I got it back), and it sits so much better on me. And I got a few compliments on its looks. :bassist: I am amused though that I get hum from it in my basement, even with both pickips equal, but there nothing- I even played with just the bridge pickup to give more of a cutting sound, and dead (no pun intended) quiet. So she’ll definitely make it out again.

11. SteveC

Love the Bee movie!

staccatogrowl and Joe BassPlayer like this.
  12. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia

Great looking bass Matt!
    Keith did a great job matching the headstock with the top and I love, love that wooden 12th fret inlay!
    Sounds like you landed a fun gig. Dead head music is fun to jam on!

Fred312b and staccatogrowl like this.
  13. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

nice job Joe! Love the playing
    Sweeeettt bass too

Joe BassPlayer and staccatogrowl like this.
  14. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Not a gig report, because I don't have any of the gig report 'stuff' - like photographs...
    We were supposed to be under a tent, on a dance floor. Caterer decided he liked that spot better for his hot food buffet and was all set up before we arrived. Had to hurridly squeeze into a small patio area. Mind you - this is a band with 5 horns, bass, drums, guitar, and 2 singers... So no time for photographs...
    But it's not about the gig, which was a 6(!) hour all-day wedding / reunion event for 150.
    It's about (Roscoe content) how my SKB fretless 6 killed All. Day. Long. (I brought my fretted SKB 5 as a backup but there wasn't room on 'stage' to even set it up...)
    It's a "Dance Band." "Dance Band" is even in the name of the band...
    Early R&R, Doo-Wop, Classic Rock, some newer stuff (P!nk, Gaga...). All over the map.
    LH1000 driving 2 Hartke 1x12's. DarkGlass Vintage Ultra and Becos compressor.
    During one of the breaks one of the sax guys (we had 2 rehearsals before this show) said "I just noticed you're playing a fretless..."
    I had my screwups, of course. Despite LOTS of practice, I cannot make my fingers play the solo part in 'Smooth Operator' although of course I can manage it perfectly at home. And Hooters' "And They Danced" totally mystifies me - have to woodshed that one, because people like the song...
    The rest of it tho - surprisingly well. Just an occasional EQ tweak to suit the song.
    Left the house at 11 AM, rolled back home 1 AM -- long day. Got paid...

15. SteveC

[QUOTE="ArtechnikA, post: 25402247, member: 238487"
    During one of the breaks one of the sax guys (we had 2 rehearsals before this show) said "I just noticed you're playing a fretless..."
    I had my screwups, of course. Despite LOTS of practice, I cannot make my fingers play the solo part in 'Smooth Operator' although of course I can manage it perfectly at home. And Hooters' "And They Danced" totally mystifies me - have to woodshed that one, because people like the song...
    The rest of it tho - surprisingly well. Just an occasional EQ tweak to suit the song.
    Left the house at 11 AM, rolled back home 1 AM -- long day. Got paid...[/QUOTE]

I love when people say “I didn’t notice you we’re playing g a fretless”. I actually like when no one noticed me at all as it means I probably played well and fit in like I’m supposed to do.
    I have debated playing exclusively fretless before, but I like the variety I have.

staccatogrowl and armybass like this.
  16. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    It’s been about 5 months or so on the old set of Pure Blues so I figured I would put a new set on and clean the fretboard. This has been the best bass I’ve owned. Never lets me down and the Coil tap switches really make a huge difference tonally.
    0EE3A8B4-FE5C-454B-BD27-8BF78EA06BA4.jpeg 57F2737D-2B7C-4897-AC39-F104FE8056CA.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    bobunit, steelin4u and armybass like this.
  17. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Very cool! Gorgeous bass. I use the Pure Blues too but use the 40-120 set on my 35 inch scale Basses. Makes for a lighter tension which I prefer.

Bassworship1 likes this.
  18. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    My son took a few quick shots of my SKB 3006 yesterday with a touch of sunlight. Not great but it gives you a hint of how lovely the Myrtle top is.
    149E634D-ED1B-4422-A339-985EAD0444F3.jpeg 003E303C-54C4-45F7-8E7B-8D35EC220736.jpeg 7C56891E-4C36-4248-B3AF-AFD1806DC868.jpeg

DGbass70, Freddy-G., Fred312b and 4 others like this.
  19. SteveC

Roscoe 6’s look so awesome. I wish they worked for me.

staccatogrowl and armybass like this.
  20. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Interestingly and I’m sure there is a physical reason for it but I find SKB 6’s very difficult to play as in I can’t comfortably reach the lower notes in the first three frets. It’s the wrong angle for me and I have gotten rid of two glorious SKB 6’s for the that very reason. But the Century 6’s don’t give me the same problem. Might be the extended upper horn?

mwbonsall, Fred312b and SteveC like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021