1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rude to not take drinks?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by GK Growl, Jun 9, 2018.

1. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    So this is like a suicide-by-cop thing? Going out in a blaze of glory?

Pacman and Spidey2112 like this.
    tshapiro and Spidey2112 like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not even close to the same thing, bro.

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    You do you. I have been in business for myself long enough to know how to satisfy my clients.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    10-4 good buddy.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OK. Well get me a quote on a beaver umbrella stand next time you're at the taxidermist, would you?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not interesting enough for a ban. Sorry.

8. I don't do polls where I can't vote for everything.

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I actually found part of a beaver skull recently... the teeth on this thing are horrifying.

JimmyM likes this.

10. As I stated in this thread, My cat ate a squirrel's entire head... , I found a gopher face on our property when I was a kid in the 70's.

11. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    That’s awesome. We find the weirdest things out here, too. This winter, I came across the intact midsection of a vulture laying in a pasture. Just... huge wings, connected to a hollow, feathered rib cage, like a coffee can with both ends removed. Later on, I found it near the woods, chewed into a mangled mess.

5StringBlues likes this.
  12. I'd like to vote for beaver umbrella now.

Also,posting Beaver Umbrella in the band names thread.

superheavyfunk and JimmyM like this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Just make sure you give proper credit to the guy who thought of it (hint: not the OP) in case there's any money to be made.

5StringBlues likes this.

14. Will go fix. :smug:

15. shenanigans-funny-quotes-quotesgram-thank-you-wedding-sayings-thank-you-wedding-sayings.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I know if a beaver bought me a drink, umbrella or not, I'd drink it...

... but it would be better with an umbrella.

Wisebass and superheavyfunk like this.
  17. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

I love that you slurred your words there :D

bolophonic and Renaissance like this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

No. Period.

For whatever reason. Or no reason at all. If you don’t want to drink that’s your call.

19. I'm the guy who posted the other thread about accepting drink offers and I would be the first to say that there certainly are exceptions! In my case everyone in the band drank but they each had their preferred drink. The guitar player was a vodka/Gin guy, if he drank a beer it would be a top shelf import beer. So when our number one fan (a guy who always puts good tips in the tip jar) brings a tray of Tequila shots I told him that he had better damn well take one. What he did with it didn't matter, just take it. Pour it out, give it to someone else what ever. If someone says "I'm buying the band a round" then order what you want, soda, coffe, Rye, dog poop, what ever the bar is selling that you can drink but order something...don't ever say no!

As far as recovering drinkers, druggies, smokers or whatever your vice...I would never ever expect you to imbibe for any reason under the sun. There are a lot of great suggestions here. We played with a guy who instructed the bar tender to put water in the band shots. I think that is down right wrong and as a BL would never approve of something like that but, once again if the drunk guy says he is buying, there is nothing wrong with saying "make mine a soda please". It's not that black and white. If you are handed a beer or shot you don't want set it down "for later" and give it away at break. The point is to let the bar make money with little white lies so to speak.

20. rmayer

rmayer

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    If a patron at a bar wants to buy you a drink, and you're sober and you don't want to offend them, have a coke, club soda or a ginger ale. Or politely say, I'm recovering and I don't drink but thanks. If they are offended by that, that's their problem. I think it's rude for someone to think that a recovering alcoholic should have to have a drink so he doesn't hurt someone's feelings.

Edit: I understanding the bar making money selling drinks, if you need to take the drink and set it down as others have said. But I would expect the person buying would expect you to have the drink with them. Not always a simple situation.

juancaminos and Spidey2112 like this.