Sadowsky Amp Line??!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Sep 3, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yes guys, you read right. :cool:

stopped by Roger's shop to pick up my LP from its yearly setup, and got to chat with him as he closed shop.

now, hold your breathe, but he mentioned that he's workin' hard on a 200-400 watt all tube amp! it'll be a 4 rack behemoth that despite the large size, will be MUCH lighter than the 100 lbs. boat anchor. most likely around 50 lbs., and will run on EL34's for that saturated tube goodness. said it should be ready by December of this year.

and in 3 weeks, he'll have 2 prototype cabs using neodymium speakers voiced specifically for him. they'll only come in a 1x12 and 2x10 size. i know i'll be stopping by!

and long range, Roger's also developing a small hybrid head for us city folk, that'll utilize a Class D digital power section, as well as what he called a *true* alll tube preamp section. he explained that while most hybrid heads use a rather stunted 12AX7 tube preamp section, his particular design will be *completely* all tube, making it totally different and unique. said it'll appease his very picky tubified jones. doesnt know when it'll be ready, and at this point still in development.

all i can say is, "Bring it on!" :hyper:
  2. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Sounds good! I'll be watching.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    wow - EL-34's
    How Marshall........... :D
  4. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    This is big news.....I wish Roger and crew all the best in getting this into production.
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you thought that I have exhibited a notable lack of control in my bass amplification adventures in the past, my friend Roger may be pushing me beyond whatever limits I may have left! I have been plotting to acquire one of his basses for some time now (I am surprisingly happy with my axes, for someone with such a highly developed case of GAS :p ), and now Sadowsky takes on a triple pronged approach!

You know I'm a sucker for cabs, and yes, I have been considering a tube amp for some time, but it is his hybrid head that really has me drooling! Roger has a proven record of putting out quality products and keeping away from anything that might detract from the high benchmark he has set. This is, indeed, very good, very interesting news!

So, do you think that Nick Epifani will start making basses, now? ;)
  6. LOL!! Tom!

Roger was talking about doing another preamp about a year or so ago when I was ordering a bass or a pre or something from him and asked what I would like to see in it (I can only imagine he asked a LOT of guys the same thing)....anyway......if this is ANYTHING like what I asked for......OMG....I HAVE GOT TO HAVE AT LEAST 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW that with Roger's dedication to detail and his penchant for perfection, this will be the schizzzle!!! I can hardly wait..........

7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

why not!? if Fodera's doing a preamp, i wouldnt be surprised if i saw an Epifani Bongo. :bag:

given your penchant for the good stuff, no doubt your input put the new line over the top. :bassist:
  8. Joker...don't know about that...let's just say I asked for the kitchen sink!!!

9. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Any word on price? I'm sure it ain't gonna be cheap.
  10. 200 to 400 tube = 600 to 1200 solid state ***! OMG!!

My only complaint about Sadowsky is that their stuff is so goddamned expensive.
  11. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i wish Roger the best luck. he built the best basses aorund, the best preamp and i won't be suprised at all if his amps will be great too. the man has great musical ear.

i am also happy to see neodymium more and more used.

see my thread "neodymium revolution".....
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, exactly!

the man knows tone, thru and thru.

heck, i'd be happy if he was able to rackmount my sadowsky's onboard pre! e.g. i used to think i *had* to have a midrange knob, but his onboard pre's convinced me what killer tones a simple treb/bass knob setup can do.

sure, he doesnt necessarily believe in midrange controls for his bass apps, but for the new line, i'm sure, he'll find a midrange freq/Q that'll even make him happy.
  13. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Nino, where are you?
  14. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    Didn't Aguilar design his preamp? I don't doubt that he knows basses; but does he actually know anything about preamps and amps?
  15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Here I am. :)
  16. I wonder what it will look like...

I'm anxious to see this thing! It will probably cost an arm and a leg, but will probably be worth it, seeing how everyone raves about his basses. I would love to try one, but Sadowsky don't exist in South Carolina (that I know of).

Come on Nino! Give us something! :p
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, cant quite comment on Roger's amp know how, or the extent to which the work Aguilar does for him, but in the end, it all boils down to Roger's ears, and the great stuff he's accomplished with that aural judgement.

also, FWIW, much of the new stuff i've seen in the Sadowsky shop has been developed extensively in house. this aint no, "hey, company ABC make a cool product, lets license it under the Sadowsky name!" from roger's new string line that he developed with Rich Cocco of La Bella strings fame, sending prototypes to various palookas (like yours truly who WONT change the "jason newstead nickel" protos on my PJ-5), to Frank's new two channel clean / preamp guitar boost pedal, to the several new Jimmy Bruno archtop prototypes (where i played the most recent hollowbody prototype), make no mistake, when Roger puts his mind to something, he knows exactly what he's doing.
  18. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    one of the little nuggets from the NY GTG was that Roger is evaluating a 3 band preamp for his basses. He's not committing to do one, his words were to the effect that he wanted Sadowsky not to be automatically discounted by people who feel they need a 3 band eq onboard. So he's experimenting with different prototypes, if they can get the same 'Sadowsky sound' as the regular 2 band then they'll start offering it as an option.
  19. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Any news? ... Christmas is coming: it's gift time!!!
  20. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Any News on the Sadowsky tube amps?