Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky bridge... duh!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, May 28, 2005.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

So when I got my Sadowsky, I saw no slots in the top of the bridge. I assumed that meant no quick-release string feature. Today I finally change my strings, and am grumbling about how I have to thread the strings all the way in or out through the stupid little holes. I then noticed larger holes. I think "well OK, the strings slide easier through the larger hole". I get to the D string and the ball end slides all the way through the hole as I'm wrapping it around the tuner. Then the light goes on: DUH, this is a quick-release bridge after all, it just works sideways from the ones I'm used to.

Sings: "I am so smart... S-M-R-T..." :rolleyes: :p

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    LOL

3. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Great work Fuzzbass! You're a true bassplayer :p

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm glad you posted this, because I didn't know!

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--I did the same thing when I changed to Sadowsky flats on my new Metro when I got it.

At first I thouht, "Great--the ball ends are too small for this bridge." :rolleyes: Umm--Hello? Sadowsky strings/Sadowsky bass. :D

It ain't just you, Bub.

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    How do ya like the flats on you Metro. Can you still get a modern vibe? I have an RV-5. I like the stock SS but I have a feeling I would really dig the flats...

Dave

7. Fuzzbass

Hey, I'm glad it wasn't just me!! :) That said...

BULLETIN, BULLETIN...

Today I performed a mini string tryout on my P5. I went from the original Sadowsky Stainless to Sadowsky Bright Nickels, and then to DR Fat Beams. My next goal was to try a set of TI Jazz Flats... but no go! The ball ends on the TI's are too small to be held by the Sadowsky bridge.... and yes, I slid the ball end into the small hole, not the large one!

Not a big deal... the flats probably weren't going to stay anyway. But I thought I'd mention it here just so y'all would know. (Where can I get a good price on Sadowsky flats??)

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    :D...I understand, but it's still funny...:D

9. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Doesn't Roger sell string direct?

If not, a quick search on eBay would give you some nice prices. I've seen a $23 Buy It Now from a music shop.

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Ditto on that one. I received my new Metro Ultra Vintage 5 last week. I decided that I wanted to change Rodger's masterful setup slightly to suit my tastes and went through the same exercise (BTW, one of the few times that I had to raise the action slightly on a new bass; usually you need to lower it by at least 2/32"). any body try Elixer Nanowebs on a Metro or NYC? :confused:

11. Fuzzbass

Yep... but I haven't yet checked to see if Sadowsky string prices are the same as bass prices: that is, the same whether you buy direct or retail.

Thanks for the tip. Roger's strings are excellent -- both the steels and nickels have an *amazing* B string! But the flats are on the spendy side: $48 according to the price list I got last month. The cool thing is that the B strings are tapered, even on his flats, so I'm sure I'll give them a try.

12. Fuzzbass

I'm laughing at myself; I don't mind a bit if others laugh with (or at) me as well! :)

13. Fuzzbass

Not yet... but I like 'em on my Fender RB5 so I will probably try a set on my Sadowsky P5.

I hope Nanowebs are also made with a tapered B. Maybe it's me, but I have a helluva time getting non-tapered B strings to intonate properly.

14. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I am feeling real stupid. I cannot get a non tapered D'Addario XL 130 B-String to slide into the place. It seems the bridge slot does not have enough clearance. Anyone else have this kind of stupid moment...

Thanx

Dave

15. Fuzz, if you're buying more than one set, there's a price break when you buy four sets direct from Sadowsky. You should definitely call them before you buy from somewhere else.

16. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    After a 5 minute struggle, the B string is on. I am looking forward to hearing DA nickels in a band setting tomorrow.

Dave

17. Fuzzbass

Dave, it was a little tricky getting my non-tapered DR FatBeam 'B' in place... I believe that was only a .125. I'm glad you got your DA 'B' settled in.

And thanks for the heads-up, Funky. I've now tried Sadowsky nickels, steels, and flats. I may go for a four-pack of nickels after I experiment with some other brands I have queued up.

18. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    HEHE!!
    Glad I didn't post that first!!!
    Did the same thing!!
    HAHA!!